User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally getting a bike that fits me

I started riding again in September, after 45 years off a bicycle. (Still have my motorcycle)
    In September, I bought a 2012 Giant Sedona, a nice bike, in the largest size they make that bike. (Large) LBS told me I needed an XL at the time, but I wanted to make sure I would ride it enough before I shelled out the money difference for the next model up. Well, after riding several bikes, I chose the Specialized Sirrus Elite. I am excited to ride it, since I put over 500miles on the Giant in the last 3 months of the year. I am hoping this bike will last me several years, and is more suited to the type of riding I have been doing. I ride mainly on rural hiways and county roads, not any mountain biking. Since I am in Kansas, I want to try the Katy trail, which is a RR track turned bike trail. Anyone else ride a Sirrus with any thoughts? It seemed to be a highly rated bike, and I loved it when I test rode it. LBS had to order color I wanted. Not in yet, so no pics.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a mountain biker and eventually went road. My one concern about going road was the bar position. I nearly stayed on mountain bikes but while I was thinking- I tried out a few bikes of the Hybrid variety. One of those was a Sirrus and I cannot tell you the model as it was a long time ago. That bike impressed me. It handles well and was basically a road bike with handlebars that I was used to. It was far better than the other Hybrids that I tried but was just not quite right for me as although it was a road/ trail bike- I knew it would get used off road and I had better bikes for that use.

Of the hybrid bikes around the Sirrus is one that I would suggest anyone starting cycling to look at.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried out the Giant Rapid and the Specialized Sirrus. I liked the Rapid better, but the Sirrus was right there in the running. I decided to go road with drop handlebars as I knew I was heading towards that direction anyway and it made sense, for me. I think the Sirrus is an excellent choice, but if you can try out the Rapid, do so.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be riding roads and trails -- it sounds like a "flat bar road bike" is a wise choice. Just expect it last more than "several years". No reason why it can't last you a lifetime as anything that can wear out is replaceable and upgradeable.

And the 700x28 tires are a nice compromise. They are a little slower on the road than typical road tires and little less stable off road than typical MTB tires -- but they do both reasonably well as long as you don't expect too much out of them: You wouldn't enjoy them on a 25mph century and neither would you enjoy them in deep mud and single track. But for paved roads and "groomed trails" they will serve quite well.

Just don't forget the pics and a ride report. Other members on this forum more senior to me can advise on the rather rigid rules for photos... In front of a WHITE door -- but not any door -- a WHITE GARAGE door ... and there seem to be many more.... they're a fussy bunch of codgers....

Best of luck! I'm quite sure you will enjoy this bike and put many miles on it.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sirrus Elite looks like a good flat bar bike, ride it and enjoy the riding, be sure the LBS gives you a complete fitting when the bike gets to them and you go in to take it home. Please post a first ride report and pictures of your new ride. N+1 is always a great time, make the most out of it.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sirrus is a popular bike for a reason and the Elite is a sweet spot in the lineup for value. It should be great for the kind of riding you described.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son rode a Sirrus for a couple years and a tour, it worked well. He eventually outgrew it.
    ride long & prosper

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently started riding the local rail/trails and at the advice of my club members went with a cyclocross bike. It's a Raleigh and has "cross brakes" on the flat section of the drop bars. I'm really happy with the bike and particularly with the variety of hand positions that bar arrangement allows.

http://www.raleighusa.com/archive/2011-road/rx1-11/

western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter has a low model Sirrus, and it is a fine bike. Not high end and won't win any races, but not a boat anchor. A couple of the guys I sometimes ride with have higher model Sirruses (Sirri? Sirrae?). One also has a couple of road bikes and prefers the Sirrus. Both ride 50-70 mile rides regularly with no problems.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally, I built up a Sirrus Elite today at the shop. Yep, nice bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you build them - is there room for 35 or 40 tires on a Sirrus?????? I like the bike, but also realize that I need 35-40 sizes for personal comfort. I'm too old to sacrifice that..... And, I love my old style Crosstrail with a 35 on the front, and a 40 on the back.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Since you build them - is there room for 35 or 40 tires on a Sirrus?????? I like the bike, but also realize that I need 35-40 sizes for personal comfort. I'm too old to sacrifice that..... And, I love my old style Crosstrail with a 35 on the front, and a 40 on the back.
    Your rims may not hold anything that size -- then you get into whether or not they will fit onto the bike itself.

I don't think I would want to ride 40 on a rim designed for a 23 -- assuming I could even get it on the rim.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & 2012 CAAD10-Team Ult6800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a bike that 'fits' you is definitely the most important thing - whether from the perspective of 'type' or 'size,' or combination of the two.

I only recently got back into road riding after a 20+ year hiatus - as my old road bike I bought as a 17yo was too small and although I tried in fits and starts to get back into it over the years, I could never get comfortable on it.

So, I finally decided to go and buy a road bike that fitted me properly and it has opened up a whole new world and the cyling is 'fun' again.

Good luck with your endeavours.

cheers