Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any interest in travel reports? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/865540-any-interest-travel-reports.html)

DowneasTTer 01-03-13 06:58 AM

Any interest in travel reports?

I'm a newbie on the board. But, not to cycling. Have done that for many years as a rec rider. My wife and I own a small RV and travel to places to ride mostly on Rails to Trails. Though last year we spend a week riding at the Grand Canyon on the South Rim Greenway. I'm just wondering if there is any interest in the group to start a trip report thread for posting such travel.

Dan Burkhart 01-03-13 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer (Post 15113827)
I'm a newbie on the board. But, not to cycling. Have done that for many years as a rec rider. My wife and I own a small RV and travel to places to ride mostly on Rails to Trails. Though last year we spend a week riding at the Grand Canyon on the South Rim Greenway. I'm just wondering if there is any interest in the group to start a trip report thread for posting such travel.

Ride reports are always good,especially destination rides. The way it usually works is you create a new thread with your report. I kinda prefer that to creating a huge thread for everyone to post to, but others may differ.
Thanks for throwing the idea out there anyway and BTW,if I didn't welcome you already, welcome to the club.

Dudelsack 01-03-13 07:21 AM

No. We'd much rather hear everyone brag about their average speed :lol:

Actually cycling travelogues rule. Your offer sound great, especially those of us chained to their desk in the bleak midwinter.

A word of advice: include your average speed, but make it up. 18 MPH is always a good place to start.

Dan Burkhart 01-03-13 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15113864)

Actually cycling travelogues rule. Your offer sound great, especially those of us chained to their desk in the bleak midwinter.

A word of advice: include your average speed, but make it up. 18 MPH is always a good place to start.

Yeah, but someone will immediately accuse you of doping.

Dudelsack 01-03-13 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15113867)

Whoa, thanks for the reminder. Haven't taken my Androgel today.

To the OP: don't mind us. Your travelogues would be greatly appreciated.

bruce19 01-03-13 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15113867)

So that's what people mean when they yell "You dope!" at me?

qcpmsame 01-03-13 07:44 AM

As those above have said, the 50+ group likes ride reports, especially with pictures. There have been some threads about specific areas or a special interest, say a brand or a type of bicycle, from time to time. If you wanted something more permanent you would need to get with an administrator or a moderator in order to have a "Stickie" at the top of the page or even more ambitious a sub-forum. Not always very easy to get since the site tries to keep things neat, tidy and organised, which I support fully.

There is a Touring forum here too so some may try and steer the reports and travelogues there, I personally like having the 50+ members post here with their ride reports, JMHO. Best of luck with you travels and I hope your riding is fun and safe.

Bill

BluesDawg 01-03-13 08:29 AM

I love reading ride reports and trip reports, especially with pictures and interesting stories about the ride, the people and the places involved. I like to post those myself from time to time.

I'd rather see individual posts than ongoing threads where things get lost in the flood. Stickies are especially bad for being missed. They tend to sit up there at the top of the page and be forgotten imho.

rydabent 01-03-13 08:35 AM

There is a site on the internet called "crazyguyonabike.com". It has travel reports of short and long bike rides.

Some have a motorhome or travel trailers that they use as home base for rides all over the country.

tsl 01-03-13 08:44 AM

As long as the focus is on the cycling part of the trip, rather than the RVing, or driving, or flying parts of the trip, I enjoy them.

In other words, I don't give a damn about how you got there, just tell me about the cycling. And pics are a must.

billydonn 01-03-13 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 15113861)
Ride reports are always good,especially destination rides. The way it usually works is you create a new thread with your report. I kinda prefer that to creating a huge thread for everyone to post to, but others may differ.
Thanks for throwing the idea out there anyway and BTW,if I didn't welcome you already, welcome to the club.

+1. Create your own thread for each adventure. Huge all inclusive threads don't work. There is certainly some interest..

And use your own judgment about what to include. Its your thread. Cool places and people along the way are okay by me, so it doesn't have to be just about your time cycling.

Biker395 01-03-13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 15113864)

^ Just What he said.

cplager 01-03-13 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 15113911)
So that's what people mean when they yell "You dope!" at me?

:D

Nicely done, sir!

bruce19 01-03-13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 15114258)
:D

Nicely done, sir!

Must be a CT thing. :)