User Tag List

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks Saddle and Higher Stem Angle

I posted some recent things here about my Brooks B17 vs. Selle Anatomica. I bought the latter since it was on sale and I like it. But at about the same time, I bought a new stem that is angled about 1.5 to 2 in higher, effectively bringing the handlebar even with, maybe even a bit higher, than the saddle. HUGE difference, less perineal pressure, more comfort on long rides. I read plenty of posts suggesting that the handlebar and saddle height for a Brooks should be roughly the same, and I should have followed that guide much sooner. I've ridden with much more comfort over the last two or three weeks on both saddles.
    Last edited by jlstrat; 01-03-13 at 08:46 AM. Reason: add info

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long before Grant Peterson is mentioned in this thread. Opps, I just did it. Sorry for that I could not resist. PErsonallu, I run my HB 1 to 2 inches lower tan my B-17 IT quite comfortable.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that raising your bars, which puts more weight on the saddle, has increased your comfort. Makes me think that maybe your saddle is angled up a touch, making it necessary for you to be upright to get your sit bones to align with the saddle. In my experience, that's a real key. But I take the opposite approach: I have a relatively massive saddle-to-bar drop, and spend much of my riding time in the drops. As a result of a fitting, I just switched to a harder and wider saddle to increase my stability and provide a more rotated pelvis, which straightened my back, opened up my breathing, and gave me a lower position in the drops.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks recommends that the wider saddles, like the B17, are intended for a more upright fit and should have the handlebar equal with the saddle or higher.

However, a wider saddle can work with a lower handlebar level if the cyclist is large enough to have widely spaced sit bones.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-03-13 at 10:46 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike