Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    Yuba Mundo; Early 70's Free Spirit (Reynolds 531) fixie; 80's Shogun 500; Mid 90's Iron Horse tandem; trailer and tag-a-long; Schwinn Range for commuting, with lights and front and rear racks.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used ordinary clothes. I layer up wool sweaters, with perhaps with a sweatshirt on top to keep the wind out a bit. If it's really cold, I use wool snowboarding tights under my pants, several pairs of wool socks, two pairs of glove liners (wool and silk) with thick wool mittens, and a wool balaclave. I have some Swiss military surplus wool that is quite warm, and wasn't too expensive. I used to have some sheepskin mittens that were a little bulky, but very warm.

My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, Cannondale CAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I do use non-bike specific clothing to stay warm. I still have a problem with my feet though; hands too. I do wear bike shoes and biking gloves, and they're just not warm enough. Would appreciate any suggestions. I have found that ski wear (pants and vests) is good for cycling, but obviously it's not good for hands and feet!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LadyCRides,
    For your feet there are shoe covers of varying warmth ratings available. They slip on over your shoes and if you use any type of cleat the covers have cutouts on the bottom to allow the cleat to stick through. For your hands there are many, many gloves available from the open finger top riding gloves to lobster mitts and all kinds in between. Scan back through this thread from the beginning for some glove recommendations.

I live and ride in NW Florida so I don't need really heavy gloves like the lobster mitts. In winter time I have some of Under Armour's Cold Gear liner gloves with the full fingers and palm pads similar to cycling gloves and they actually advertise at their site that the soft panel on the back below the thumb as a nose wiping panel (no I don't do that one, I always carry folded up paper towels in my jersey pockets.) They have lighter and heavier weight gloves on their site, I buy direct from them as they usually have sales on various things and offer free shipping. You can find Under Armour at almost any sporting goods store like Academy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, etc. Not bike specific but the gloves, balaklava and mock turtle LS Cold Gear shirt do the trick for me along with my bib tights, regulat tights, shorts and LS jersey, layered as necessary. I hope this helps you out, best of luck with getting your comfort level dialed in and enjoying your riding.

BTW, welcome to 50+ and our little corner of BF.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal clothes for me,, when It's a bit cold I do wear tights under my cargo shorts,
    they keep my legs warm and the wind blowing up my shorts is not a problem.

I had one rider tell me the tights made me look gay. I'm glad I'm my own person
    and not concerned with peoples opinions about me.
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.”
    Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12