User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My +1 for the year

2013 Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disc, picked up today with no hope of riding probably for months! But that will give me plenty of time for the add-ons and all that. FYI, it has 700x38 tires and a SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain with almost the same range of gearing as the 3x8 on the bike that I've been using around town and on the rail-trails. Bigger step between gears, but it should be a smooth shifter.

It's been a couple years since my last acquisition and I was surprised to get no sort of manual or documents with the bike; just my credit card receipt! Oh well, user manuals are mostly lawyer-speak these days anyway. I've already gone online and downloaded various service docs for the components.

Doug in cold, snowy Michigan

IMG_1041s.jpgIMG_1042s.jpgIMG_1039s.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharp purchase you made there. Ten to one says you're gonna love riding and/or racing that bike.

And ya, I hear you on the "no manual" bit. Everything is online these days. Like you say, the last few years have been the "swan song" of manuals and the sort. I didn't care for this at first, but now I kinda like it. Down load what you want, skip what you don't. Even hooked up an ancient Win 98 PC out in the garage.

Anyway, great looking crosser!

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, That bike is just WAY too pretty to take out in the mud!
    ... It's best you just keep it right where it is, nice and safe and warm -- and just look at it (drooling is permitted though)...

Seriously: That is VERY nice looking bike.

I'm not sure I would be able to wait for the snow to melt before taking it out for little ride...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike but its too clean.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike. Notice no pedals. What are you putting on there?

My Expedition Sport came with a manual.....on a CD.
    The Old Sarge

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Great looking bike. Notice no pedals. What are you putting on there?
    Thanks for the comments. It came with basic pedals, of course, but I had the shop remove them for me before I took it home. I like the Shimano M324s that have SPD on one side and a regular platform on the flip side.

This bike does sort of defy classification. The marketers call it a "flat bar fitness bike," which is kinda meaningless (aren't all bikes "fitness" bikes?). The wheels have a road bike design with Presta valves and the shifters are also roadie-like. The tires have a very unique tread pattern that I've never seen before that looks like it will work well on pavement and the hard-packed dirt and limestone trails that I mostly ride on. I was going to put a permanent rack on it like I have on the bike it's replacing, but for now it looks too good as-is to mess up the lines with a rack, so that will have to wait (I still have my old clamp-on beam rack if I need to carry a pack).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a nice looking Crosstrail you got. I'd still tell the LBS I want the manual, printed or a CD, You need your warranty card or papers should Specialized ever want to give you trouble on a claim. Not likely but you never know, the bikes are not cheap so they owe you one. +1 for downloading any component details from on-line, I did that even though Cannondale had a pretty good packet in a plastic bag with their manual, each components papers, the documentation from Fulcrum wheels and the warranty card, they sent with the bike. Good job on the N+1 pics, maybe you will get some rides in on a few nice days.

The best part of printing your own tech info is being able to read them without needing a magnifying glass. Those manuals and tech sheets are such small print.

The set up of the bike and wheelset/tyres sound like my wife's Trek 7300, she loves hers I think you will find it to be a great bike for a lot of different conditions.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-04-13 at 06:30 PM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my Trek DS I did get a paper manual -- but of course it was mostly generic worthless ramble...

Basically, I created my own manual: Using the specs from the Trek webpage along with ganering part numbers where Trek "forgot" to list them (basically the cheap stuff that they didn't want to draw attention to), I created my own little manual by pulling down the technical information from the manufacturer (mostly Shimano).

Now I have a nice folder on my computer for "2012 Trek DS 8.5" with a bunch of subfolders -- one for each part (like the shifters, hubs, brakes, etc...) and each subfolder has all the information for the respective part.

Which I guess worked out fairly well as most of my Trek is not Trek. Most of the moving, wearable parts are Shimano.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go dirty up the chain and cassette, NOW!
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike, but it's too clean. Go out and get some dirt on it.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only problem with your new bike is the colour. I do have a white bike and it shows dirt far too easily. The paint also takes a stain from oil that does not come off with a wash. Cure for that is "Pledge" furniture polish. But if you like looking at it and polishing it then you will not have the problem

Get out and ride the thing and get it dirty. The other tip I would suggest is Buy your own polish. Saves the eardrums and helmet from the Re-Action from the wife.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike! Would be great for exploring some mixed paved/unpaved roads. The tires should be perfect for that. Presta valves are quite common on mountain bikes and hybrids above the base level, not just road bikes. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the shifters being "roadie-like". They look like typical SRAM MTB push-push levers to me. Anyway, find a way to ride it soon.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    2013 Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disc, picked up today with no hope of riding probably for months!
    Time for a ROAD TRIP.

Great looking ride enjoy