Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dangerous Cyclists

Some cyclists are simply too dangerous. This morning I was riding my bike on the nearby trail. I was passing a runner on her left when this cyclist came like a demon and yelled "on your let". So, he basically wanted to pass me on my left, at the same instance that I am passing a runner on her left. Taking into account how narrow this section of the trail was, I would say this guy's brain power is limited. To make things worse, I just couldn't do anything in that second of passing the other person, so he decided to pass on my right (having indicated a left pass) between me and the jogger. He was easily going faster than 25 mph. That was a close call for all three of us. So, even cycling on a non-trafficked trail could be hazardous

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cyclists who turn MUPs into racetracks are dumb.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy's a real tool...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop at stop signs on my commute home from the train station when other traffic is present. Frequently I'll be stopped waiting for the car whose turn it is -when another biker flies up behind me and blows through the intersection sometimes forcing cars to slam on their brakes.

The sad part is it makes the rest of us look bad. Cars who have had to screech to a stop to avoid somebody else usually wave me on with a very obvious annoyance and animosity towards all bicyclists.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another instance of a self centred moron, so wrapped up in his own self that he does not bother to observe developing situations and take actions to prevent calamity.
    It's no different with drivers who are so intent on being first, and see every gap as an opportunity to advance that they never bother to assess why another driver may have changed lanes, even if it was to provide a safety margin for stopped vehicles roadside.
    Those people burn my butt.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danger lurks at every turn. I love the humans doing stupid things commercials that are airing now.... For insurance I think.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Cyclists who turn MUPs into racetracks are dumb.
    Agreed. That's why I won't ride MUPs - I'm impatient and like to ride fast, so I'd be tempted to be the person you described. Instead, I stay on the road where speed isn't an issue.

For the occasions I'm able to curb my impatience, though, there are sore really excellent MUPs in my area. But they're so heavily used - especially on weekends - that you can't do much more than 10 mph.
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    Agreed. That's why I won't ride MUPs - I'm impatient and like to ride fast, so I'd be tempted to be the person you described. Instead, I stay on the road where speed isn't an issue.

For the occasions I'm able to curb my impatience, though, there are sore really excellent MUPs in my area. But they're so heavily used - especially on weekends - that you can't do much more than 10 mph.
    Feel ya.

Right now the new and gorgeous MUPs in my area are pretty empty. However, on the last nice day in November I was checking it out and had to dodge dogs on 50' leashes, turbocharched baby strollers, clueless toddlers, and male-pattern blinding from the bouncy babes in their sports bras. Scariest thing I've ever done.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mups and as a cyclist you have to take care. In that way at leaast one of you is trying to avoid an accident.

But my local club has a lot of racers that are keen to get the KOM on Strava. One has the KOM on our local Mup and he admitted that he was out to set the time. In hind sight he said he was lucky in the he did not have an accident. I told him he was lucky in that he didn't hit a dog- pedestrian or kid- wreck his bike and have a big Law and compensation bill round his neck as well as a criminal record.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people are just self-centered, some are stupid and some are both. I lived for about 10 years in a small city with railroad tracks right through town. Every year, at least one person and sometimes more, would drive around the barrier into the path of an oncoming train. Obviously, a train is easy to spot so surprise is not a factor but the inability to imagine consequences is. Just be aware that there are many people like this all over. We can't modify their behavior but I do my best to take their behavior into account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this MUP is very heavily traveled during the weekend. I get irked by runners who insist on doing a 5 or 6 abreast, occupying the entire trail. But when they hear the ding-dong bell, they make way and thank me for that. I prefer to use this trail, in spite of its weekend crowding, since it is very close to my home, and it provides for a nice down hill one way then up hill the other. Besides, riding in traffic is a scarier proposition in my case

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a dangerous world. Be prepared:

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexLex100 View Post
    Some cyclists are simply too dangerous. This morning I was riding my bike on the nearby trail. I was passing a runner on her left when this cyclist came like a demon and yelled "on your let". So, he basically wanted to pass me on my left, at the same instance that I am passing a runner on her left. Taking into account how narrow this section of the trail was, I would say this guy's brain power is limited. To make things worse, I just couldn't do anything in that second of passing the other person, so he decided to pass on my right (having indicated a left pass) between me and the jogger. He was easily going faster than 25 mph. That was a close call for all three of us. So, even cycling on a non-trafficked trail could be hazardous
    These self same idiot riders are also idiot drivers that pollute our roadways , and byways, with their stupidity.

Only death or a crippling injury will remove them from the flow of traffic.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the guy who comes screaming down the MUP straightaway at > 25mph approaching a group of slow walkers some pushing baby strollers --and proceeds to holler obscenities at everyone for being in his way as he buzzes within inches of them. (observed on the fox river trial west of chicago)

On the other hand, I've been on a deserted remote pea-gravel MUP trail making some good time myself when I see ahead of me two bikers laying down (including bikes) in the middle of the path sun bathing.

Brain not required.
    Last edited by dbg; 01-05-13 at 01:59 PM.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    I like the guy who comes screaming down the MUP straightaway at > 25mph approaching a group of slow walkers some pushing baby strollers --and proceeds to holler obscenities at everyone for being in his way as he buzzes within inches of them. (observed on the fox river trial west of chicago)
    On the other hand, pedestrians that spread themselves out across the pathway, effectively blocking it also need a rap upside the head.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a trail near me where horses are frequent users. I'm not happy about the horse-apples they leave around but when I encounter them I always get off the bike and walk. I grew up around horses and they can spook easily.

western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't specific to any sport, or driving, or walking; it is just the way too many people in this country (world?) don't consider the effects of their actions on others. Any skiers here that like the snowboarders sitting across the middle of the trail, right below a bluff so you don't see them until you're on them? Or drivers who like the people that pull into an intersection behind stopped traffic as their light turns red, and thus block the cross traffic? and on and on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has told me that she is not sure she wants to stay married to someone who has hurt someone through egoistical and reckless cycling. I use that thought often when my need for speed comes over me.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All we can do is to set a proper example, and to walk, bike, and drive defensively. Asking for a little help from local law enforcement might also be in order, if they even care.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride like I want others to ride and to drive, safely and using common sense (which does not seem to be a common as it used to be) at all times. We don't have any MUP nearby our home so I don't have that experience but in our rural and agricultural area there are walkers and many on horseback. As said, horses spook easily, our daughter rode for many years and we were horse owners, and I don't want the rider being hurt or a horse being injured because I was careless or reckless. I make it a point to give the riders room, let them know where I am and where I am headed and be sure to be polite and pleasant. The many Mennonite ladies that ride around my routes now know me and wave back at me and we exchange hellos. I think the good will and the common courtesy are worth the few seconds it takes to do so.

The idiot screaming through an MUP and weaving against his called direction is just asking to hurt someone, their selves included. Shame is they are probably posting on a roadie forum how people walking or riding slower on the paths are just asking to be screamed at or hit by them. Sad but most likely true.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These MUPs are dangerous for everyone--the little kid who does not know the right from the left, the long leash dogs, the loose dogs, joggers plugged in their music, people who chats in the middle of it, large groups who are in the mob mentality and take the all width and my favorite are the cyclists running a leashed dog along. . . until a rabbit comes along!!! You also have the nasty one who are fed up with the world and the cyclists by walking their leashed dog on one side and he is walking on the other side!

The worst of it all is that I have to use them here or there and I live by one of them in order to start some of my rides!

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NUMBER ONE Rule to remember, PED's walkers, dog walkers, etc. have the RIGHT AWAY on a MUP!!! Infact I don't know what your area is like but here in Colorado Springs a "cyclist" is the lowest priority on ANY MUP or TRAIL, even the Horsey People are above us. So when some lame-brain racer wanabee, comes hauling bunns down the MUP/TRAIL, I just shake my head. Almost got into a head on in a blind curve on a MUP by to clowns on MTB's hauling full tilt boogie taking up the whole MUP. It's really too bad there isn't some real "enforcement" to curb some of this problem. If you've got to go FAST, then stay off the MUP/TRAIL, they weren't designed for speed!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These mups sound so dangerous. I wonder how many people are killed annually on them. It must be thousands, or at least hundreds. Or is it scores? Dozens? Anyone?

I'm not defending "scorchers", especially when children are present, but there are far stupider and more narcissistic people operating far more dangerous machines on the public right of way and the death/injury numbers back that up.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    These mups sound so dangerous. I wonder how many people are killed annually on them. It must be thousands, or at least hundreds. Or is it scores? Dozens? Anyone?
    It's only because angels watch over little children and fools, both of which are in abundance on the MUPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, this MUP is the most convenient route for me. It is two blocks from my house. From where I join it, I can get to the nice waterfront area in Georgetown within 7 miles. I try to take a ride on it 3-4 days a week, as it gives me the chance to go easy downhill, then have a more challenging return trip (I wish it was the opposite!).

If I ever consider commuting to work, this would also be the quickest (but safest?) route. I guess cycling, as life as a whole, has its inherent risks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast