Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why we need the LBS

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why we need the LBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why we need the LBS

My wheel problems as discussed in another thread + my backup bike having been lent to an out-of-state family member 11 months ago for a supposed 2 month period has left me without wheels, literally. I'll have a new set of wheels delivered next week sometime but in the meantime nada. And since I live in Florida, this is prime riding season.

Though my LBS has no dog in the hunt with the wheels since they were purchased from another dealer who is also handling the warranty issue and the new wheels are from the internet, my LBS lent me a wheelset today until my new wheels show.

Try getting a LBS to do that for you if you buy your bikes online!

This could also be proof that optimally N + 1 > 2
Old 11-28-12, 04:47 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I'd flip the guy a 20 spot for G.P.'s
Old 11-28-12, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
When I had a rim fail after far-too-few miles, my LBS lent me a rear wheel while I waited for the warranty replacement. That's one of the many reasons I buy a lot of my bike stuff there. Other reasons include the time one of the staff unretired his brazing torch to repair a seat clamp on a tandem of mine and the wheel-building lessons. I try to do my part by making as many purchases there as I can, even when it is a bit more expensive.
Old 11-28-12, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77

Try getting a LBS to do that for you if you buy your bikes online!
The counterpoint is that I have various spare wheels in stock... I have to, because any LBS is well over an hour's drive away.
Old 11-28-12, 08:18 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I always thought I appreciated my LBS, but now that I work for them, I have a much clearer picture of their importance to the cycling community and just how they struggle to keep the doors open. Support your local bike shop. They support you in more ways than you know.
Old 11-28-12, 08:28 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The manager at my LBS (and the whole staff) have been mentoring me since I started riding this past spring. I have a policy of buying EVERYTHING from him -- even if it means going there and asking him to order something for me. In fact, aside from food and gas, his is the ONLY brick and mortar store that I frequent. Everything else I buy online. But, at the same time, his philosophy is "If you build a happy cyclist, you have a customer for life". So, he takes care of me and I take care of him. I can't think of a better deal for both of us.

And, TomD77, thanks for sharing that story with us.

We ALL win we support our favorite LBS.

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 11-28-12 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 08:35 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who was it who posted a story about breaking down at 5:30am near his LBS's house -- and got yelled at for NOT waking him up to get assistance?

It is the LBS's who restore my faith in humanity and this country...
Old 11-28-12, 09:22 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I live 60+ miles from the nearest LBS. As I'm not a regular at any of several that are 60 - 120 miles distant, my service has been less than stellar. I can buy a new wheelset and have it tomorrow for about the expense and lost opportunity of taking an afternoon to go to the big city.

I love internet orders and Park how-to online.
Old 11-28-12, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From a less experienced and personal perspective I think I could not do what I do without local bike shops. Fortuntely there are a few in the local area. The primary are those I bought my bikes from. They make sure what I have fits and is suitable for the purpose. They give me good advice. I will not buy from any of them if they do not provide value. After all their responsibility is to look out for each of their profits. My responsibility is to look out for HawkOwl Inc. profits. If I'm not making a profit I have to do something so I am.

But just as they will drop me in a heartbeat if I'm not helping their profits, so I will go somewhere else if they are not providing me profits. In fact there is one local shop and one where I frequently visit that I will not spend money at simply because I'm not getting value.

A plug for the shop that sold me theGiant Revel 29er. They have accomodated my special needs in a superb manner.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 11-28-12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 06:12 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Who was it who posted a story about breaking down at 5:30am near his LBS's house -- and got yelled at for NOT waking him up to get assistance?

It is the LBS's who restore my faith in humanity and this country...
That would be me. Actually, I didn't get yelled at but the owner said I could've woken him. But, his significant other was out walking the dog at the time and gave me a spare tube she had after I realized that my never used spare tube had a leak too. The LBS owner, later that day, gave me a 3rd tube free when I bought two as back ups.

I buy nearly all my stuff from him even if it costs me a few dollars more than the internet.
Old 11-29-12, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I always try to balance the reality of my disposable cash with the need to support local business. I would estimate that about 80% of my cycling purchases are from my LBS, even when it costs slightly more. There are times, however, when the price difference is more than I can justify. Just this month I was looking for a chain ring guard to replace the larger chain ring on a triple I'm using on my commuter. The head mechanic said he had one at home I could have if I stopped back next week. True to his word, he had it waiting for me and wouldn't accept any money for it. I left a tip in the tip jar anyway. Over the last two years I find that I’ve narrowed the LBS I use to just one. I get stellar service, free advice, and they will often discount prices because I am a regular customer. I’ve never seen anyone in that shop treat anyone badly and I’ve never seen them push something on a customer just to sell it. I really think it boils down to the people who own/run the shop. I’ve purchased five bikes from them in the last eight years (2 new and 3 used). And, while they have a fair number of customers that they see once every two or three years, I’m guessing most of their customers are regulars. They make it a point to know regular customer names, the bikes they ride and the kind of riding they do. There is one other aspect to this that hasn’t been mentioned – the social aspect. I told my family that I’d much rather spend an hour at the bike shop talking with folks than pay “X” number of dollars to sit at home and watch TV. So, all in all, I see a good LBS as a great investment.
Old 11-29-12, 09:28 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I always thought I appreciated my LBS, but now that I work for them, I have a much clearer picture of their importance to the cycling community and just how they struggle to keep the doors open. Support your local bike shop. They support you in more ways than you know.
+1
Old 11-29-12, 09:44 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don’t see how these shops keep their doors open in my town. In just about a 1 ½ mile radius from my house there are 5 high quality bike shops and a couple very small ones and even a bike church with nothing but used eq. Most are open 7 days a week!

I can’t afford to keep them all in business, I do have one that I use the most and I buy much of my stuff from them and any time I need advice, they never fail me. When I got my bikes stolen out of my garage a couple years ago, the owner offer me his own high end bike to ride while I worked through the insurance process.

They treat me good. I buy enough from them that my store discount gets me very close to internet prices.
Old 11-29-12, 09:46 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Up until recently I frequented two LBS's, but now it's up to 4 - one specializes in wheel building, so they get my business when I have wheel issues. Another caters to high end market and its where I bought my new carbon bike. When that bike needs service, that's where I'll take it. The other two are closer and get my business for various sales and service. I also buy online when convenience is a factor or when a particular item isn't easily available locally.

I appreciate all of them, but not always for the same reason. Some are friendlier, some have the right expertise or carry the right kinds of items. The mechanics at one of them come off as a little snooty and so I don't use their service Dept. any more (but I still buy jerseys, inner tubes, etc. there).
Old 11-29-12, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now that I've posted on the positive maybe it is time to write about some shops that are exact opposites. I'm a big person for value. Give me value and both of us are happy. Don't give me value and .....

I stopped in the first shop when I was looking for a new bike to replace my Huffy. I was moving from a bike being a toy to play with around the neighborhood to more extensive and wide ranging play and mybe even some, to me, serious riding. They guy spent 30 minutes telling me all the things that were wrong with my Huffy and Huffy as a brand. I had lots of time on my hands so I listened thinking maybe, just maybe there was something worthwhile in the lecture. Nope. Enough time spent so out the door I went never to return.

The second shop was in a larger city. I walked in looking for some clothing and other stuff as well as somewhere to take my road bike for service. The service staff was busy at work in the back. The sales staff were casually visiting a few counters away. They ignored me and, more telling, my wife. They looked up at us, looked us over, and went back to their conversation. They had taken a look, one even made eye contact, at two elders and decided that we didn't fit the image they wanted in their customers. Once it happens to you a person knows when they are being discriminated against. Since then I do my best to discourage anyone else from spending money there.

The third shop treated me poorly. The bike, Carbon Fibre LeMond Versailles I had bought privately, had a shifting problem. After two trips to the shop that didn't fix the issue and twice being told there was actually no problem, I just needed to learn to shift properly, I took it to another shop. The staff there quickly determined the large gear ring was bent. A new ring and the problem went away. Oh yes, I looked at the old ring and it was bent. Not only that but while I was there they adjusted everything so the bike now shifted like a dream, as it should with Ultegra kit. Happy camper and I spent a lot more money as I "needed" things.

It all boils down to Value. I really don't care about the shop's profitability. I care about mine. Give me Value and I'll give the shop enough money to keep in business. Then we are both happy.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 11-29-12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much are you willing to support your LBS ? when the price difference between them and on-line shop is 10% , 20% , 30% or more . Four years ago I bought a Colnago EP with Campy Chorus drivetrain , wheels from UK on-line store . My LBS wanted $2000 more for the same bike .
Old 11-29-12, 02:56 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The one out here is Quite busy in the dry months when the world's cyclists
experience riding down the Pacific Coast.

the ones doing it on Premium Priced Race Bikes is Rare.
Old 11-29-12, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If it seems there is a large enough price difference to tempt me to buy online, I give the LBS a chance to see if they can meet or nearly meet the price. When I first bought the bike, I had already purchased my bike carrier online(the LBS didn't have that model) and when I mentioned what I paid, they said they would've matched it. I felt horrible for not getting it from the shop, but I've purchased quite a many item from them and they are happy I'm such a good customer. The LBS has given me discounts and some freebees(not cheap) because they know I'm loyal. The owner seems more concerned about me than his milking money from my wallet.
Old 11-29-12, 05:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Mikey,
Your original thread about the LBS owner and his wife should be posted on every shop wall where it can be read, by the customers and by the shop people. We both need each other, it is a symbiotic relationship if there ever was one. Both shops that Tom lives near and the other in our area, the LBS I use, are all three great shops to work with. Fair prices, great fitting and follow-up on bikes and friendly people manning them keep me coming back and recommending them. I have actually purchased bikes fro all three of them over the years for myself and my family, every time I was treated fairly, honestly and professionally. those three things make or break a shop for me. I can walk away and go online quickly but I have not had to.

Bill

Oh, they are: Cyclesports of Pensacola
Bikes Plus, Pensacola and Milton, FL
Truly Spokin', Pensacola and Milton, FL
I'm sort of glad I don't have THREE good ones around me! I do have three -- but one of them which is close enough to walk to -- is outstanding. One is 'so-so' and the other I don't go into anymore. But just having one makes my life easy! (Having 3 LBS's would be like having 3 girl friends!)

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 11-29-12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 05:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
How much are you willing to support your LBS ? when the price difference between them and on-line shop is 10% , 20% , 30% or more . Four years ago I bought a Colnago EP with Campy Chorus drivetrain , wheels from UK on-line store . My LBS wanted $2000 more for the same bike .
That doesn't seem to be an issue for me. The prices my LBS charges are usually pretty solid (especially with my frequent flyer rates).

But, yes, I am willing to pay more for what I buy because of the support. (But I'm not sure that would go for a $2,000 surcharge. Actually, if there was that much difference they would probably tell me to get it elsewhere. They seem more interested in happy cyclists and long-term customers than quick, easy profits.)
Old 11-29-12, 07:53 PM
Dave Ferris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS, where I bought both bikes in my sig, is pretty cool. The owner knows I have eyes to get a new Mtn. bike. I test rode their Moots YBB 26 around the neighborhood, did a few jumps off some curbs and rode up a short steep parking garage driveway just to get a feel for it. Granted it wasn't a trail but the high end ti feel of the Moots was great, blew me away actually....even on the street.

I'm very interested into checking out the 29ers and even the new 650Bs. I've been reading up a lot on the advantages and disadvantages of all 3 wheel sizes. The owner said he would get me a 29er hardtail to try out for a few days. It won't be a Moots but at least I can ride the 29er on my terrain with the steep fireroads and see if it's for me. I'm guessing the charge will minimal if anything.

I was going to go with an independent builder (perhaps Potts or Ericksen), do the custom thing and get fitted. This would obviously put him out of the loop.
However I think there's a bit of wiggle room with him on the Moots frame. How much I don't know. Also he's usually very competitive on the wheelset and build components. This would make the whole bike less expensive this route...plus it's not like I'm going down in quality with the Moots.

When I bought the Ellsworth 8 years ago, I shopped it like crazy in town here and with a few of the online dealers that existed at that time. He beat out everyone for price and quality of build..and this was with Ca. tax.
Whenever I tell anyone what I got the Truth for out the door, they always say...man, you scored !

So as much as I'd like to go with either of these legend builders, Potts or Ericksen, if I can get something comparable at considerable savings and have that support locally if something comes up. Hey LBS it is !

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-30-12 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-30-12, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've bought two fairly expensive bikes at a distant LBS (70 miles away). I do get up there frequently, but he ships anything I need via UPS, received in one day. When I needed stronger skewers for my Volagi they arrived the next day (no charge). Was up there yesterday when the shop opened to have him look at the rear wheel on the year old bike: it wasn't centered exactly in the chainstays minimizing clearance with 28 mm tires. 45 minutes later the wheel was very slightly re-dished. During that period he observed that my hybridized drive train was shifting just right: very slight straightening of the hanger, playing with cable tension, etc. All this no charge. I did by a quick on/off rear rack for those long, unsupported solo rides so he got some business out of me!

Our in-town LBS is very good, but very small. supports skate boarders, BMX-ers,mountain/road bikers, etc. I've bought one $2K bike there in the last three years and certain types of spares, but if it's anything you really need to see-before-buy, it's difficult to shop there. His stock of cycling clothes is very small. Still, it's very important to have someone local to support the industry and provide for emergency repairs, etc. I shop there for the same reason I buy car tires from a local tire shop while Costso or Walmart would be much cheaper; Costco won't come out and fix a tractor tire.
Old 11-30-12, 08:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If a LBS is important to all you experienced bikers, it is triply so for relative beginners like myself.
Old 11-30-12, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 800, Free Spirit Town and Country, 80's Norco Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Story about LBS...however...only 2 bikes? Wish I could pull that off.
Old 11-30-12, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
...and the shops will help me with parts I got on line, no smart aleck remarks made, either.
Ah, some enlightened shop owners who realise that much of the future of LBSs will be in servicing those who buy on-line, but need to have parts fitted or tuned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.