Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Century of the Year........Horrific!

If I learned anything from yesterday's century it's to NOT do a longer ride with a sinus infection coming on. It was 25 degrees at the start but warmed up to the mid 40's with little wind all day. I decided to do the 100 mile loop in reverse from what we had been doing. I felt awful starting out but stopped at the 35 mile mark for a few minutes and felt okay over the next 35 miles. I stopped again at 70 miles for too long and got chilled. There were some other guys out riding and we talked for bit. The last 30 miles were as bad on a bike as I've felt in a long, long time.

I even stopped to call my wife to come get me but it had been so cold my cell phone would not work. So, I cruised in at a agonizingly slow speed. It was a great day to ride-sure which I felt better the whole way.

Forecast for next weekend is mid 60's. I thought it was January???
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you get over the infection quickly...take a rest day or no more than an easy recovery ride tomorrow...but, IMHO, do a short, easy recovery ride, rest and sleep all you can tomorrow.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE,
    Sorry that the sinus infection is coming on, they are a sure way to feel miserable. Just take care of yourself and don't let things get out of hand and be really sick.

Bill

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get sick a lot in the cooler weather we call "winter" out here. Yesterday I went on an 80 mile club ride which featured a 20+ mile climb into a cold headwind, the kind where you sweat and freeze at the same time. I kept all my layers on and don't feel too bad today, thankfully. If the rain stops I may go out for a ride.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    jppe, you are the stuff of which legends are made. You'd be a better rider dying of pneumonia than I would be at peak form.

BTW, I was treated for sinusitis with a gorillacillen for a month and I think it still didn't completely clear up. My internist says that kind of thing is pretty common.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one piece about training that is often overlooked is the mental test it can put you through. It's times like Saturday's ride that I can fall back on when I'm doing rides in the future when things are going exactly to plan. Some times (it seems to be getting more often for me) that you just have to grind it out some way, some how.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    ... it had been so cold my cell phone would not work ...
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    The one piece about training that is often overlooked is the mental test it can put you through. It's times like Saturday's ride that I can fall back on when I'm doing rides in the future when things are going exactly to plan. Some times (it seems to be getting more often for me) that you just have to grind it out some way, some how.
    Absolutely right. Congrats on seeing it through to the end. I would say this century will rank with the ones you will talk about most into the future. It's odd how the really smooth and easy ones sort of become almost... forgettable... but the tough ones linger longer in the memory.

I am just glad you didn't use the words "suffer" and "sufferfest".

I've now got interminable sinusitis thanks to an infected tooth last year. A course of gorillabotics didn't get rid of it, like Dudelsack's, so I just use a nasal spray now to get around 12 hours' relief.
    Dream. Dare. Do.