Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Indoor & Outdoor Season

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 07:27 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

With daylight savings time starting this weekend, I’ve added two weekday evening workouts to my riding schedule. I’ll still ride outdoors as much as possible, but going indoors guarantees that I’ll be riding several days a week and maintaining my fitness.

I’m fortunate to train at Vision Quest in Chicago. The operate 15 hours a day, seven days a week. I use my own bike installed on a Computrainer. I train with other riders, the workout is the same but the load on the bike is adjusted to the strength and fitness of each cyclist.

I started on Thursday with a set of 20 minute full effort sessions to determine my power output. I averaged 243 watts. This value is used to set the resistance on the trainer for the next few weeks. Most of my training classes will last 90 minutes.

Anyone else? How do you train when the weather turns freezing and the days are short?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-03-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I use a combination of exercycle (at home or the Athletic Club)
an old Minoura Trainer,
and my trike,an old Sears Free Spirit 3 speed.
Sleeting downstate right now ,
so it may be a trike day .
Old 11-03-12, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Lemond Washoe (2016);Planet-X Nanolight (2011); Planet-X Uncle John (2013)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do everything I can to ride outside until there is snow on the roads. I'm able to adjust my work schedule so that I can work at home a couple of days a week starting early (5:30 AM), then take a cycling break around 9 AM for an hour or so before showering and heading in to the office for the rest of the day. This allows me to ride in daylight at least a couple of days a week. After the snow hits I'm back to my trainer setup in my un-heated garage with Sufferfest videos to motivate me. I find I can use that as long as the temperature is above 15 degrees fahrenheit as I'm out of the wind and self-heating if I am riding hard.

There is a Vision Quest nearby in Highland Park, IL. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old 11-03-12, 03:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When I had to do serious training-I used to go to the gym three a week after work and just get a serious long ride in at the weekend in the winter months. Then we got some decent lights and went out for about 3 hours offroad to keep the cycling trim twice a week and cut down to one night at the gym. We did initially cut the gym when we got the lights but had already found that an hours solid cardio on 5 different machines was improving the parts that cycling just did not reach.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-03-12, 10:27 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Weather is still pretty good around here and we are hanging on putting in as many outdoor miles as we can. If last year is any indication, our Velo Garage crew will reconvene for indoor training around Thanksgiving. I have done a couple of spin classes on days when my work schedule won't allow outdoor rides, but nothing consistent yet. I'm actually looking forward to indoor training this year.... it is low volume high intensity stuff.... a great thing for winter.

Click here to view last year's indoor fun.
Old 11-03-12, 10:57 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I guess when it comes down to it, I am dedicated to bicycling more than I am to fitness. So when the weather keeps me from riding as much or in the way I do in better weather, I'll ride however I can. I tend to ride mountain bikes more in colder weather and I'm thinking I'll ride dirt roads more than paved. I don't expect to ride much on the trainer or in a gym.
Old 11-04-12, 07:07 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Weather is still pretty good around here and we are hanging on putting in as many outdoor miles as we can. If last year is any indication, our Velo Garage crew will reconvene for indoor training around Thanksgiving. I have done a couple of spin classes on days when my work schedule won't allow outdoor rides, but nothing consistent yet. I'm actually looking forward to indoor training this year.... it is low volume high intensity stuff.... a great thing for winter.

Click here to view last year's indoor fun.
Hi Don, I'm excited to start my indoor training again. The combination of indoor and outdoor riding will keep me active. I'm a few pounds lighter with a little more power than the last time I was tested in January. I'm hoping to improve power by 10% in the next 9 weeks.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I guess when it comes down to it, I am dedicated to bicycling more than I am to fitness. So when the weather keeps me from riding as much or in the way I do in better weather, I'll ride however I can. I tend to ride mountain bikes more in colder weather and I'm thinking I'll ride dirt roads more than paved. I don't expect to ride much on the trainer or in a gym.
Hi B+D,

Yes, living in a northern city discourages outdoor riding in winter to some extent. The indoor season does allow me to focus on fitness that improves my outdoor riding fun. If I want to ride any steeper hills close to home, I need to go indoors :-).
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-04-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 11:43 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
BUMP

Michael,
How's this going for you? 243 watts for 20 minutes is really strong! Hope you aren't getting any stronger!