User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind

The wind that hits my ears when road riding is starting to bug me.i guess my ears are not very aero dynamic.Anyway in the winter the noise seems louder.This causes me to have a little problem hearing another rider or car coming up.I have my hearing checked every year so I'm not deaf yet.I'm not a hat person but bought and wore a knit hat that covered my ears today .It made no difference.Besides covering my ears with duct tape any ideas?

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure do. Been wanting to try these ... let me know what you think.

http://www.cat-ears.com/
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both products look interesting thanks, I'll let you know(where do you guys find this stuff?) Easy on the wallet too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what to tell you, because my hearing is fine. I can even hear the wheel noise from a faster rider coming up behind me.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be little covers that went on the temples of spectacles/wings of glasses that went over the ears from the front, but left a gap at the back to hear what was coming up from behind. The last I saw of them was about 10 years ago. But you might be able to rig up something with, as you say, duct tape, to experiment with... providing you wear glasses.

A simpler solution might be to wear a headband made of lycra which is thin enough to allow ordinary sounds through, but may provide some wind protection.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Recumbents
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite Winter accessory.
    I have the Plaid
    http://www.walzcaps.com/caps_wool-earflap.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    The wind that hits my ears when road riding is starting to bug me.i guess my ears are not very aero dynamic.Anyway in the winter the noise seems louder.This causes me to have a little problem hearing another rider or car coming up.I have my hearing checked every year so I'm not deaf yet.I'm not a hat person but bought and wore a knit hat that covered my ears today .It made no difference.Besides covering my ears with duct tape any ideas?
    I use foam ear plugs, just like I do on my motorcycle, when the wind is strong.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chant a mantra while you ride. Other than that, I use a IPod at lowish volumes. Only when I am not wearing my helmet though.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the sound when the guy in front thinks he's doing you a favor by breaking wind.

Ten years ago, the noise of passing cars while cycling on a highway was deafening and intimidating. I've learned to live with it.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a headband, lycra in the summer, fleece in the winter. It helps keep the wind out of my ears and the sweat out of my eyes. Don't have any trouble hearing with them.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of these but, I have not tried them yet. I don't hold much faith in them working well. Looser fitting cycling tops with flaps do not help much at all. The tighter fitting tops do better. You have to try these before you buy because the sizes are not so standardized. I have not tried cotton or foam but plan to, the same thing "con" is doing.

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...clava|RkM7tMru

Works on my Motorcycle,,so at bicycle speeds Its shure to get the job done..
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A UA Cold Gear balaklava that is sport specific for moisture wicking. Cuts down on the wind noise but I can still hear cars okay. Inexpensive too.

Bill

My Bikes
    1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '03 Colnago Dream Lux, several older family Treks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a light pile skullcap under the helmet....works great.
    Amerika, Land of the Very Brief.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small piece of a cotton ball in each ear will cut down on the wind roar and keep your ears warmer at the same time. This is an old Boy Scout trick.
    When facing a difficult task, act as though it’s impossible to fail.”

My Bikes
    70's Raleigh Sports, 70's Peugeot UO8 (2), '12 Specialized Secteur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    I sure do. Been wanting to try these ... let me know what you think.

http://www.cat-ears.com/
    I wore a pair of these on my ride this weekend and was impressed by the sound reduction. And an added benefit was they helped keep my ears warmer. They didn't seem to have any effect on my ability to hear the world around me.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as wind noise goes, no one has mentioned whether or not they use hearing aids? I do fine with unassisted ears but aids push the wind noise sometimes to unbearable. Anyone have thoughts on this challenge?
    R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here is what I tried so far.Turtle fur :Kept my ears warm Con Didn't reduce noise,felt tight,slight head ache after a half hour on bike. (BTW you owe me 10 bucks)Disposable foam ear plugs.They reduce noise.Con They reduce all noise,I can't hear the gears shifting(I like that sound) .I Can hear cars but not untill they are on top of me,you know what I mean.Also I'm aware of and hear my own breathing.I think I'll live with the noise.Cat ears I'm still mulling it over.( they are weird)

My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    .I Can hear cars but not untill they are on top of me,you know what I mean.)
    Not a good thing, paticularly riding the roads in Union Co. Instead of trying to find a fix, maybe alter your awareness a bit. I sing to myself...well to others if they're close by...keeps my mind off listening to my breathing or my knees or wind noise. I think if you stop listening for it it will go away. I remember when I first moved to the area, between the trains, planes, helicopters and cars, I nearly went mad. I don't much notice them anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an example of what bugs me.Riding along at 18mph down a slight hill,I see a pot hole,if I turn right there are branches and leaves,so I need to turn left(hitting the brakes is not an option)moving into traffic a bit, IF there is wind noise hearing a car is a problem.I move to the left anyway,have a roar in the ears wishing I could hear if a car is nearby.Turning my head around looking for the car may take too long and I may hit the pot hole.So after re-reading my own post I should try mirrors.Back to the bike shop! I'm just trying to ride as safe as possible.

My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HerSo after re-reading my own post I should try mirrors.Back to the bike shop! I'm just trying to ride as safe as possible.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a cyclign headband a couple years ago and sometimes I use it in conjunction with a thin knit hat under my helmet. REI has some sweet skull caps that cover the ears too.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bar end mirrors on all my bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast