Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Took the first ride on the new bike today, first impressions.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-09-13, 01:42 PM

Bikes: looking for the right one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took a first ride on the new bike today, since I'm off work for a day or two (the big plus of 12 hour shifts). Here's a run down, for the entertainment of those who have gone before:

First, clothing or lack thereof. I haven't bought any "cycling" clothing yet, not even a pair of lycra boxers to sub in until I can get some cycling shorts. So I was stuck with what was in the drawer/closet. Turned out to be a pair of cotton boxers, sweat pants, a cotton t-shirt and a nylon wind breaker (can't you say "it don't breathe"?) with tennis shoes.

Second, the route. I picked a route in my neighborhood that was a circuit having both ups and downs, a good bit of reasonable level distance, a turn and two cul-de-sacs. If I'm guessing right, had about a total of a half mile distance, but I'll have to figure out how to read my new computer to find out how to zero the computer, then measure the distance. Aggravating to have to know how to read an electronic device, after years as an Electronic and Technical Support Engineer in the telephone industry, I oddly prefer simple mechanical devices to gadgets.

Third, the experience - managed to complete the entire route and make it home without stopping, which for a fat guy, was somewhat satisfying. I was tired and breathing hard when I got home, sweating profusely and with wobbly legs. The good news is I didn't get sick and afterwards, there were no "negative, not normal" pains. All the hurt I felt was related to getting some exercise, no pulled muscles, joint aches, etc.

Finally, after effects and thoughts - I got a raw spot on my right leg where the boxers rubbed my leg, reminding me I need something different to wear. - I need to adjust my seat nose down about 1-2 percent from level to give myself some relief. I had them replace the "shock" style seat pin with a solid one because I didn't like the feeling the shock style seat pin gave of a tire with low air pressure, very distracting. When they replaced it, the shop forgot to put the seat back slightly nose down, as they'd had it when I was trying the bike out. Since I have both metric and SAE hex wrenches, this will be no big deal. - I'm happy I didn't get sick and completed the route I chose and glad there are no sore spots. I'll do that route the rest of this week and see about adding to it in the neighborhood as I can. When I can complete the entire neighborhood, I'll look at going outside the neighborhood. - I'm in a good mood and while I didn't get an endorphine release (something I am typically lucky to experience when I exercise for any extended period, such as when running), I am very pleased with this good start. - Going riding with the wife, same circuit, this evening when she gets home from work.

Pictures - will take pics of ourselves and the bikes tonight, for posterity and post them here as well. Then some in say, six months or so after there is some real progress from a physical fitness standpoint.
Old 01-09-13, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the first step, errr, ride. Keep it up.

KB
Old 01-09-13, 02:14 PM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Nice job, how far are you from the Silver Comet trail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQktfYqaEUo
Old 01-09-13, 02:15 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
IF you are breathing hard pick a lower gear and spin.
You might even end up slightly faster.
Old 01-09-13, 02:20 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
You rock.

Old 01-09-13, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Well done.
Old 01-09-13, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent beginning.

Reads like you need to take a "Before" picture so a few months downstream(downroad?) you can look back and see What Was.
Old 01-09-13, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Nice job, how far are you from the Silver Comet trail?
Thank you for posting this. I googled it and it's over in Smyrna. A good distance from here, but not an impossible drive. Went to the website and over time, if we planned well, it might be a goal to ride that trail to one end and back to the start. We'd have to build up to it and do some camping, but it's a good long term goal.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
Old 01-09-13, 03:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Excellent beginning.

Reads like you need to take a "Before" picture so a few months downstream(downroad?) you can look back and see What Was.
Going to do that tonight when the wife gets home. We were too tired last night when we got home.
Old 01-09-13, 03:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Please Please Please

Forget vanity and how you will look--Gets proper cycling shorts-OR Bibs- and get comfortable. Doesn't have to be Lycra but mountain bike shorts do look wrong unless you are getting them covered in mud. You will come to this eventually in any case so don't worry about what you look like as no-one else will. Shorts are one of the things-Like all clothing- that has to be tried on before you buy--or at least let the LBS suggest the size for you. My LBS took one look at me for a very expensive pair of Bibs a few years ago and they fitted from the word go.

The only thing I would suggest you do not wear on a bike is cotton- unless it is up in the 90's and you need a bit of cooling from the moisture it will hold. That even includes socks and I do not have sweaty feet but I do have cold feet if the socks have a high cotton content.

But great that the bike is letting you know that it is there. Get the saddle adjusted out right and you won't know the bike is there- till a hill comes up.

Now just get out and ride and find out what else needs adjusting. gradually increase the mileage and you will look back on this post in a few months and realise how fit you have become. And the idea of a pic now and another a few months down the line sounds good.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-09-13, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
" I was tired and breathing hard when I got home, sweating profusely and with wobbly legs."

Feels good, don't it?

Do. Not. Stop. Every second on the bike is another minute of life.
Enjoy the ride!
Old 01-09-13, 03:47 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent!

You will get some good advice in this forum. Just ride, it gets a lot better (easier).
Old 01-09-13, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has begun.
Old 01-09-13, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first ride, after fifty years, I felt a little shaky legged. On my ninth ride, two days ago because it has rained ever since then, I rode more than twice as far and wasn't shaky at all. It grows on you that fast. I miss not having ridden in two days but the weather is supposed to be nicer tomorrow.
Old 01-09-13, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done! If you keep cycling regularly you will be amazed your progress in six months.
Old 01-09-13, 06:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No need for you to go all the way over to Smyrna right now, the Big Creek Greenway Trail is 25 miles closer and more attuned to your current riding. The trail runs from southern Forsyth County into Alpharetta and then Roswell. It runs beside the creek the whole way so it's mostly flat. In addition, a lot of it is built elevated above the creek flood plain, an incredible ride. There is a 15 mph speed limit that keeps the trail more focused on familys walking and running and cruiser bikes. Silver Comet can get pretty crowded sometimes neer the Smyrna Trailhead plus the fast crowd blowing through traffic on $10,000 bikes.

Here's a link to maps of the various parts of Big Creek. You access it from 400, you can take 53 out of Gainesville and then down.

Below that is a short youtube I did of a section of the trail. I was running slow, riding with one hand and trying to hold the camera steady.

Old 01-09-13, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better work on your fitness -- you'll have to keep up with the wife pretty soon.... (Unless she's kind enough to stay one bike length behind...)
Old 01-09-13, 06:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Good start!
As I recall from the years I spent in Hotlanta, you shouldn't have much Winter Weather to interfere with your riding. And, Spring starts very early.
Old 01-09-13, 07:22 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
This trail in Athens might be a closer and nearer term target.
https://athensclarkecounty.com/Facili...=detail&RID=23
Old 01-09-13, 08:30 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good for you David, sounds like you and your wife are enjoying he new bikes a lot. Our daughter, Betty lives in Atlanta and loves the Silver Comet Trail, it may be a drive but from what she told me it will be worth your time. One of the Moderators, RonH lived in Atlanta and had posted about the trail before, you can go a pretty good ways in it. I'd listen to what Blues Dawg and TomD77 said about Georgia riding places and their tips.

What Stapfam said are words to live by, we are 50+ and shouldn't care what some nut thinks thinks about wearing kit to ride. The right kit will make the riding more comfortable for both of you, especially the shorts, bib or regular, and tights. Best of luck with the new bikes.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-09-13, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live right next to the Silver Comet trail and ride it regularly. It's 60+ miles one way from Smyrna to the Alabama state line with occasional restrooms and places to eat along the way. The Smyrna section gets crowded on the weekends with walkers and wannabe Tour de France riders, but once you get West of Powder Springs, it starts thinning out. The ride between Dallas and Rockmart is very serene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Silver Comet.jpg (99.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-09-13, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the encouragement and links. I've saved the links to bookmarks and read my wife the encouragement.

I'm picking up bike clothing as soon as it's reasonably possible to do so and have made some adjustments to the seat.

Took another lap with the wife tonight. It was a little easier than the first one, but only a little. After getting done, she wanted to do a second lap to keep up with the lap I'd done earlier. She's a much slower rider than I am, so I decided to wait for her, then got impatient and met her "down the hill." Not sure if that was wise or not, but finished the uphill back to the house and while the fat belly pushed on the lungs and made breathing hard, it was worth the exercise I think.

Last edited by DavidInGA; 01-09-13 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Great start! You might need to experiment with the seat angle as tilting the seat down can tend to have the reverse of the desired effect, causing an increase in crotch pressure. Which ever way you adjust, make small adjustments; a little bit goes a long way when it comes to seat height, seat fore/aft position and seat angle.
Old 01-09-13, 09:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a couple pictures of myself and the wife. I apologize about the quality, but it's from my cell phone. She got all riled up and refused to take a picture in her household comfortables, had to put on real clothes. I kept on the comfies, since I feel they better represent where I'm at now.

Attached Images
IMAG0927.jpg (94.9 KB, 59 views)
IMAG0928.jpg (95.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-09-13, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidInGA
Here's a couple pictures of myself and the wife. I apologize about the quality, but it's from my cell phone. She got all riled up and refused to take a picture in her household comfortables, had to put on real clothes. I kept on the comfies, since I feel they better represent where I'm at now.

Very nice. Many happy miles to you both!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.