Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tabatas are Terrific

The schedule today in Spin Class was Tabatas. They are tough but fun. I wasn't sure I could do any kind of a job with them. But it was a good session; and, I even did some standing.

Try'em; you'll like them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    They are tough but fun.
    Perhaps you weren't doing them properly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The schedule today in Spin Class was Tabatas. They are tough but fun. I wasn't sure I could do any kind of a job with them. But it was a good session; and, I even did some standing.

Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    LOL I take it you don't.

My Bikes
    Wilier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care for spin classes (prefer to ride outdoors even in the cold) but I bought an interval timer so I can try some of these when I get a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Climberguy, I also much prefer riding outside. But it just isn't possible for me. I seem to be jinxed. I even went south to do some riding only to have a series of snowstorms come through. Each was gone in a day or so but left icy patches. Even at my post-trauma slow speeds I don't want to fall. So, no riding.

When summer comes though I WILL be on the bike 6 days a week and the gym spin bike will get lonely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would never describe Tabata intervals as fun, but they are effective. I don't like doing them, but I like to have done them.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course the real question is are they better than other types of workouts for building fitness? What are the published data?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I brought this very topic up last week. Don't know what gear combination you're using but, for me, 5 reps is about all I've got. My legs vibrate for the rest of the day. Hard as hell but I love 'em, if that's the right word to use :\

Howsteepisit - They are legit and there's a ton written up about them. Can't say they're better but it's probably safe to say they're a more efficient workout... 4 minutes
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did not know what an Izumi Tabata was, so I googled it.

I would never attempt anything like that out on the road, for fear of passing out.

When I've done it on the trainer I must look like death warmed over because the instructor always glances nervously in my direction.

I'm sure it works. I'm not sure I want to suffer that much.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 01-14-13 at 11:00 AM.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Googled it to find out what it was and it is what was called interval training when I was in the Marines.

Used to have 10 different exercises and things like Sit ups- pressups- bench jumps etc. 10 of each at each station and the stations are next to each other and no rest in between each station- just sprint between them. They were hard but when I was Boxing we did similar but Boxing strength related. 10 was OK after about a month but if you slacked at all- then you had to do them again. Each exercise was done as fast as possible and some took longer than others.

My problem came about when I had to do a 6 monthly Physical after missing the last one as I was in the Boxing team so was fit enough. I had been doing the Boxing intervals and those "Normal" Gym versions were completely different and I had not trained for them. Had to do them twice before I passed.

I doubt that I could do them now and probably don't want to.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    LOL I take it you don't.
    I don't mind doing sprint intervals but if you do tabatas according to the protocol (i.e. 170% of VO2Max) they are painful and definitely not fun. You will end up averaging 113% of VO2Max for 4 minutes which is hard if you do it steadily and painful if you are doing 20on/10off.