Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Those spinning classes--Part Deux.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 11:20 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Had a couple now with the same instructor and they are not too bad- providing I listen to my body and do what I can manage. First lesson and I took it steady but pushed just enough and saw 400 watts over the session--I told you I had lost fitness. Second lesson and I did not record watts but Today I had another session with a different instructor. Did not enjoy it.

The first instructor has a "Route" planned out and with a couple of free sessions within it. By that I mean that for a couple of minutes at a time you can relax- take the gearing off- spin up if you want- get out of the saddle and climb--Do what you want in other words. That route she has planned is a variety of climbing- sprinting- flat work so a varied session. Music has a "Rhythm" to it that suits the work being done and Sprint work is fast- Flat work is around 90 to 110 cadence and hill work is around 65 to 80. The gearing you set is up to you and you can raise if you want or take a bit off if required. Good varied session that left me tired- hot and sticky but wanting to go back again.

Today and a different instructor who is a supposed cyclist. No idea what he based this route on but more important- where did he get his music. Some obscure 80's stuff (You can tell by the style) and the cadence was all wrong. He also does not understand what a cyclist does on the flat or uphills. Warm up and music quite low and a cadence of 90 with a midrange gear of 14 (24 gears on these machines). That went on for 10 minutes and then into a climb. He was telling us a cadence of 90 to 100 so tried it but I kept going way down to around 65. The music that had increased in volume had that cadence. So I stuck to the music and wound the gear up to 18. 20 minutes later and the hill is getting steeper and he said wind the cadence up. I just put on gearing to 20.

That instructor had no idea about what happens on a bike and he has to sort his music out so that it has the same beat as the cadence he is setting us. I still got a workout by following the "Route" he was saying but my cadence and my gearing. I won't be going to him again for a session. And that Wattage? Measured 480 today so Still room to improve and I do have something I can measure against to see "If" I am improving.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-16-13, 07:01 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stap,
Thanks for the update from a few days ago, I am late to the party, your report tells me I am better off on my bike, even if it is on a trainer. Seriously considering one but need to save for a bit to get one. I enjoyed my Kreitler rollers I owned in the late 70's and early 80's, I wish I had kept them (and the Raleigh International with all Campy NR and a Brooks Team Pro saddle, that is for another thread and another forum though) I could spin for a good while on them. I am not sure enough of my balance yet to go back to rollers, darn it. Maybe I could find a set to try near by in our club.

Hope the spin sessions work out for you, I know that bad weather is driving you nuts right now. Keep your reports coming.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-21-13 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stapfam, gear to 24? Power? These aren't by chance Keiser M3 bikes are they? Regardless... you can get GREAT workouts "spinning", if you ignore all the silly moves so many of the spin programs endorse these days. Stick to realistic moves, keep the cadence between 60 and 110 0r 120, never unload completely, etc. www.pedal-on.com is a most valuable resource for "spinners". I took a 12 week training program from Coach Fred at RoadBikeRIder and did it on a spinner. Did it outside the room in the hallway (with the mgrs permission). Used the scheduled classes for recovery. Enjoy.
Old 01-18-13, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I teach spin classes twice a week. If you don't like what the instructor is doing, feel free to ignore them and do your own thing as long as it doesn't distract the rest of the participants.

The problem with spin classes is that (in my experience) they are mostly populated by non-cyclists. Non-cyclists have a hard time sitting in the saddle for long periods of time and they get can get bored just sitting and spinning. As an instructor, I have to make the workout appeal to the most people possible.

I agree that music is important; I change up my music before each class and sync it so that the beat matches the cadence I want the class to be following. If you don't like what the instructor plays you can always wear earphones. I have a couple of students who like rap music (which I don't play) so they wear earphones but follow along with the rest of the class.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 01-19-13, 01:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The bikes are Keiser and are an improvement over the Reebok's they used to have 5 years ago. Those spinning classes are really being pushed by the Gym (Have to make the Expense on 20 of them pay I suppose) and Thursday before the lesson a group of potential new members came into the class. My mate Mic and I were the only cyclists out of the 15 in the class and that surprised me. Despite how well they do in the class and the good cycling gear and SPD's- None of the others ride a bike.

I have made my feelings known on how much I "Dislike" Spinning but it is part of my get fit regime. It gives me a better work out in 1 hour than any 2 hour ride would but Cycling is not all about being out of breath and hurting after the first 10 minutes.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-21-13, 08:28 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I really enjoy spinning classes. This morning it was in the twentys with a stiff breeze so an indoor workout is better than sitting around. I get bored at home on the trainer but not during group classes. I can also work hard but close my eyes and daydream without worry. If I don't like what an instructor is doing, I do my own thing. For example, I don't do quick jumps (up down up down...) because my knees don't like them. They also have nothing to do with my outside riding. This morning we had an instructor that I like as a person but not as an instructor. She has the class out of the saddle 85-90% of the class. Even her warm up and cool down are standing. I don't stand much outdoors so I'll stand part of her class because it helps raise my heartrate, but sit when I feel like it. I even put in ear plugs (not headphones plus iPod as I'd consider that disrespectful) to mute the very loud music.

Sure, outdoor riding is much much better but spinning has its place. Some people on this forum don't like spinning because it's not like riding outdoors...well, I still eat sirloin even though it's not as good as filet mignon.
Old 01-21-13, 09:26 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
The problem with spin classes is that (in my experience) they are mostly populated by non-cyclists..
This is definitely true, although it's not a problem imo. In the classes I've been to in the past there are usually a couple of cyclists using them as out-of-season training, but the large majority use them as a hard-working keep-fit class, much as they would Boxercise (and very few of those are boxers), or aerobic dance classes. I doubt whether many of them ride an actual bike or want to, and most have never even heard of the word cadence.

In a recent article in the UK press once again criticising cyclists the author tried to explain that she was not biased against cyclists - as she regularly went to spinning classes!!!