Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    3 rideable, 6 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has cycling done for you?

I rode bikes a lot until my late 20s then family stuff & other sports got in the way. I sold my bikes and then, when I reached 60, I decided that cycling would be a good way to keep fit in retirement, so bought a couple of old bikes, made one good one up and started again.

Not long after that my wife got taken seriously ill, spending 10 months in hospital, one month in a coma. The first few weeks went by in a daze – I was on autopilot hospital visits, unable to rest throughout the day – and my family persuaded me I couldn't go on like that, and that I had to get out of the house more often.

So I signed up for a charity bike ride for the hospital in a few months time and went out riding every day for between 1 & 2 hours. I think it saved my sanity, just the rhythm of the riding and the peace of the countryside. I collected more than 1350 ($2000). I've kept the riding up, although not every day, and still enjoy every ride.

To fill my days I also got back into bike renovation and in addition to the riding I've built up all my own bikes, sold more than 40, and now volunteer at a community bike workshop.

So I really do owe a lot to bikes and biking.

P.S. My wife has made a good recovery and now feels confident enough to go on our first foreign holiday in five years to Italy (where I hope to go on a ride or two).
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-14-13 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing quite so dramatic.

Used to ride quite a bit up through my 20s. Then in my 30s I developed some type of a foot/shoe/pedal problem where my right foot would start really hurting after about 5 miles. That put me off the bike for about 15 years. Last year at my physical (I was going to describe as "annual physical", but it had been more years than I care to admit) my primary care physician said my blood pressure was too high, and I needed to lose some weight, or he was going to start me on blood pressure meds. That was the motivation I needed to give up the weekly family-size bags of potato chips and other salty snacks, and get back on my bike (at least 5 days a week although most days are on the fluid trainer). A year later my BP is back down to where it belongs, and I've lost about 30 pounds. I'd like to drop another 15 pounds, but realistically I'll settle for 10 pounds.

Congrats on your accomplishments and great news about your wife.

KB

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It caused me to get off the couch, lose 35 pounds, get taken off all my meds, become a pedal junkie and cost me a small fortune. Other than that, not much.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have been riding our entire adult lives. We are just rec riders but enjoy it just the same. A couple of years ago I wasn't feeling very well while at the Grand Canyon biking. I just put it down to both age and altitude. Still we were able to bike the entire South Rim Greenway and had a perfect time. By the time we got back to the flatlands all seem well. We did our usual summer tours and all and headed back to Fl at the end of October. I started feeling bad again but thought it was just my asthma kicking in as well as my PD. He put me back on a bunch of meds. By November 1st I couldn't do my usual 24 mile ride so off to walk in care. They did an EKG and send me directly to the ER. After a pile of tests plus a heart cath they discovered I have CHF (Congestive Heart Failure), non-ischemic cardiomyopathy, with an EF (Ejection Fraction) of about 15%. Normal range is between 50 and 60%. I was put on a new pile of meds, changed the diet to a low sodium one (currently about 500mg/day) and referred to Shands, U of Fl, teaching hospital for possible heart transplant.

For the first month or so walking to the mailbox was a biggie. But by the middle of Dec. I was back on the bike doing a whole 8 miles or so. All the time my GP was telling me I would be back on the bike while my original Cardio guy was not too sure. Glad I listened to the the GP. His take was I was a healthy 63... just had a bad heart. All my current doctors agree that if I wasn't using my bike as I did before my CHF, I wouldn't have returned to where I am now.

Within 2 months I was back to riding around 24 miles/days..... remember I live in FL and we don't have anything thing that really can be called a hill. During our summer trip to PEI were were riding 40 miles or so. I credit my return to the living to both the meds and the bikes. Now have the best HD in Fl and still the original pump. My last 3 Echos still show that my EF hasn't improved but I'm currently considered to be in class 1(not symptomatic). In fact I feel the best I have in years. In fact after adding up our mileage last year we did over 7,000 miles on the bikes. I figure I'll be around for a few more years. In fact we just treated ourselves to new rides...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got into cycling 22 years ago to retain the bit of fitness I still had as a residual from the running I had stopped 10 years earlier. It worked.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok let's see, so many things:
    - Gave me a way to deal with the loss of my dear wife in August 2010 (a major life changing event for me)
    - Gave me a way to do something other than work (stressful enough) and just be at home after work
    - Gave me a way to make new friends (cycling people are just good citizens in my experience)
    - A good way to exercise and accomplish things that many can't believe...even me.. 18 months ago I never imagined I would be pushing 12K miles on a bike.
    - An excellent way to just clear my head...boy do I need that sometimes
    - Lot's of suffering on road rides and "enjoying it" when they are done, really!
    - Created hopefully a lifelong addition to cycling
    - Makes me feel better just to accomplish something that most people will never even try
    - Oh yeah, it's just fun most of the time and that's saying a lot

Richard
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling has given me back my health and helped me manage the Renal Failure I have. After 16 surgeries from 2000 through 2010, for my abdomen and back, I was worn out and the MRSA I contracted was beating the living daylights out of me with daily infusions of mega antibiotics. I used bicycling to help me shed 42 lbs so far since July 2012 and keep my renal lab numbers at bay to where the doctor has actually told me to be sure I keep doing what I am, just don't let yourself dehydrate, or else. I can now get out of the house and ride everyday and feel good doing it.

Gerry, glad that your wife has recovered.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling brings freedom. I love feeling of raw disconnect when being on the open road riding from town to town. Nothing in life can compare.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling has enabled me to stay healthy and indulge my competitive urges without beating up my body. My college football years left me with an ankle that can't endure any real running so cycling might be the only way I can get the aerobic exercise I need.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    It caused me to get off the couch, lose 35 pounds, get taken off all my meds, become a pedal junkie and cost me a small fortune. Other than that, not much.
    Same here. Additionally, I've made new friends, have something interesting to talk about at parties, found a sport I actually enjoy, gotten involved in bike-related volunteer work, and proved my mother wrong...I actually can go out without wearing panties under my clothes and not get arrested!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much to mention. For starters:

Kept me from going postal.
    Kept me from obesity.
    Introduced me to some great people.
    Saved me a lot of money.
    Showed me a lot of the country.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling has given me a new "carrot" to chase at the age of 55. Now that the joints greatly dislike anything that includes running, the bike is my exercise of choice.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got me out to visit other countries..

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increased my circle of acquaintances.
    Created a new hobby.
    Learned a lot more about the surrounding area I live in.
    There is much less of me.
    My yard has suffered greatly and cycling has lead me to annually put off painting the house and replacing the deck.
    I've learned I'm not allergic to spandex.
    Ride your Ride!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I ride I feel like I have merged with the Universe. Except when my feet get sore.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past Saturday, the weather was so unexpectedly nice (mid-60's and dry) that I was able to ride 20 very, very pleasant miles at 16.4 mph and then arrive at the local CarX and be totally unfazed, in fact OK, with paying a grand to replace front shocks/struts/whatever on our 2001 Mazda Bike-Hauler. Bicycling helps me cope.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been a cyclist, since I learned to ride as a child. It's hard to separate what cycling has done vs what life has done; I don't know what my life would have been like without bikes.

My bicycle freed me to go beyond my neighborhood, into the countryside
    On a bicycle I courted my future wife
    On a tandem bicycle I shared unforgettable moments with my middle-school age daughter
    Randonneuring taught me to question everything I believed about my limitations
    When a business trip took me to Johannesburg, a bicycle brought me an incredible experience in Soweto

My love and pursuit of cycling has motivated me to do and see so many things... too many to list. Physical health, important as it is, seems secondary to the experiences I've had.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling has enabled me to get to work, buy groceries, and go to all the other places I go every day. Otherwise I'd be speding a really long time walking to all those locations!

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh miss kenton now knows what I know.. The breeze past the knee's makes you feel at ease..

Say that three times fast XD
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Me too...
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling has re-enabled the fun factor of being a kid. It has shown me the freedom, and lackadaisical attitude (when riding) that it always did. Helped me lose weight, and improve condition. It's made me feel younger than I am, and is just good, clean fun.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerryattrick>I am happy to hear of the recovery and holiday.
    When I started riding I would say after 10 miles all problems of the day disappeared. Then 10 miles did not seem that far. Then I realized as soon as I hopped on the bike and left the driveway "everything" was great. Now since I have made a commitment to myself only to be as carlight as possible, the hassel of driving as disappeared. Bikes make everything sweeter, even the hot cocoa I stop and get on my winter rides
    More Smiles per Mile

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted an answer to that question a couple of times, but it's long and, to me at least, boreing. I wonder what my life would be like today if I hadn't gotten involved in bicycling to the degree that I did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea. The only real decision was at age 5 1/2 after reading Curious George Rides a Bike and deciding that if a monkey could ride a bike then I could teach myself. Going to University of California at Santa Barbara convinced me that car-free living was possible and by the time I left to live on my own I still didn't own a car. I bought one to facilitate finding a bride, and now 27 years later, I am again single and car-free. There has only been one job that I never commuted to by bicycle, and that was for 6 months. Bicycling is the one major decision I've had no reason to regret.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave me better fitness and a better way to see the local countryside , and that there are lightweight Schwinns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast