Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Rules, help a mountain biker out.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-11-13, 11:54 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

Until recently I have been a trail rider except for an occasional charity ride. I would borrow a Road bike and enjoyed the crew. Last Fall I picked up my first skinny tired bike of my own since the 70's This old dog is learning a few new tricks, but needs some help.

The last few weeks there have been a couple times when I pass a group. I always give them a greeting and go my way. (many people pass me, some say hi, some are focused and ignore me.) A few minutes later a couple riders from the group I pass will pass me and then look to see where I am. Is this a friendly challenge? Should I give chase? Did I violate some code? What should I do?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-12-13, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just ride your bike and enjoy it. Don't get into this sort of stuff. There's a million reasons why you could pass someone and then they pass you, most of which are benign. If it motivates you to give chase, do it. When I'm riding in the flats of Florida when I visit my parents down there, if I spot someone ahead of me, I might try to catch them just to push a little, but usually I just ride. But don't get into a racing game with people who are probably not racing and don't draft someone unless you tell them you're there and they say OK.
Old 01-12-13, 02:58 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ex mountain biker and I only went road 6 years ago at 59 and I wish I could find the groups that I can pass on the road even now. However I do get riders pass me that seem to "Invite" me to give chase. Do not get tempted. They are mostly younger than me and as soon as I put on a spurt to catch them all I do is use energy that may give me an extra Cardio workout but I never catch them. Only time I ever did was when I caught a rider over about a mile or so and full of the enthusiasm of "Youth" I passed him immediately. He sat behind me for about 3 miles getting a tow and making me work just that little bit more than I wanted to. I was really pleased when he eventually turned off and I could relax back into recovery mode.

Just face it- most people out on bikes on the road are younger than me- fitter than me and have the competitive nature that I lost many years ago. Only time that I ever came across a group of riders that was different was back in 2007 and I was out on my Ride your age that year. Turned onto the Marsh road and found myself about 200 yards in front of a group of riders. 3 miles later and there was a junction and I turned off into a layby and took a rest for a drink. The layby was also used by this group to reform and I started to hear the comments from the other riders. "He has got a triple on that bike"- " He only has Sora 8 Speed"- He has only got an OCR3"- "He's Old". Turns out it was group of new riders in a club about 15 miles down the coast and this was their introduction ride into the club. All on Good bikes with a couple of top end ones in there. Then the leader pointed out to them that the bike may be low class- and the rider may be old and he is puffing just as much as the rest of you but he knows how to use a bike and he has been in front of you for the last 3 miles and none of you could catch him.

Difference was that the last 3 miles was my sprint workout for the ride and I had to take that rest to recover again. If I had been with that group of new riders I would have been working just as hard to stay with them and the excuse I would have put forward would have been- "I am old and I don't have the latest lightest equipment like the rest of you"

I may have the enthusiasm to get out and ride with the local club but I am struggling on the 15 miles at 15 mph rides they do but that is at a low pace for the others. So my word of warning is to look at the riders as they pass you and listen to them. If you can hear their breathing and it is more laboured than yours- Then sit behind them until they either pull off into the distance or you act as an anchor while they tow the "oldun" along and you have to take a pull at the front to save their legs.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-12-13, 07:46 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Until recently I have been a trail rider except for an occasional charity ride. I would borrow a Road bike and enjoyed the crew. Last Fall I picked up my first skinny tired bike of my own since the 70's This old dog is learning a few new tricks, but needs some help.

The last few weeks there have been a couple times when I pass a group. I always give them a greeting and go my way. (many people pass me, some say hi, some are focused and ignore me.) A few minutes later a couple riders from the group I pass will pass me and then look to see where I am. Is this a friendly challenge? Should I give chase? Did I violate some code? What should I do?
Lots of times, what happens is that a rider gets lost in a thought, and when they wake up, they realise that the 20MPH pace they wanted has turning into a 10MPH pace, and they speed up..... Don't worry about it, go the pace your comfortable with, and let others do the same....
Old 01-12-13, 07:53 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Was it a challenge? Maybe, maybe not.
Do you care? Maybe, maybe not.

Ride. Don't worry.
Old 01-12-13, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Don't worry about it, but by the same token, if you feel like playing a little hound and hare, go right ahead.
Old 01-12-13, 08:22 AM

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
could be something simple as making you are clear of the passed rider.
i know i do that all of the time when i pass someone. i also announce pass on left before passing someone on the trail.
Old 01-12-13, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Was it a challenge? Maybe, maybe not.
Do you care? Maybe, maybe not.

Ride. Don't worry.
Exactly. There are so many different kinds of people out there, you never know what they are thinking. Sometimes it's fun to race them and sometimes they take issue with it. If you have exchanged greetings then probably nobody is getting offended. I always talk to other riders if I want to ride near them or with them but I usually don't get too close to strangers if I can help it.
Old 01-12-13, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I always think "rabbit" and give chase. Sometimes I catch them sometimes not, I don't think it hurts anyone's feelings.
Old 01-12-13, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it is a challenge, if that's what you want.

No, it's not challenge if you aren't up for playing games.

If the group seems interesting you can always hook on to the back for a while to test waters.
Old 01-12-13, 09:47 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Check your bike shorts for any large rips or tears. If okay, don't worry and just enjoy your ride. (Assuming you have done nothing to make others think you've issued a challenge.)
Old 01-14-13, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Roadies are generally unfriendly to those not in their group. Expect to be ignored if you wave or say hello.
Ride your ride.
Old 01-14-13, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Most roadies don't take themselves as seriously as people think they do.

Old 01-14-13, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Most roadies don't take themselves as seriously as people think they do.
I should certainly hope not. We are grown men in sexy tights, on expensive toys fer chrissakes!
Old 01-14-13, 06:38 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Roadies are generally unfriendly to those not in their group. Expect to be ignored if you wave or say hello.
Ride your ride.
So I often hear from mountain bikers. Conversely, I almost never hear roadies saying negative things about mountain bikers.
Old 01-14-13, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
It's like camping. Always more friendly when you are out where you may need someone.
Old 01-14-13, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
So I often hear from mountain bikers. Conversely, I almost never hear roadies saying negative things about mountain bikers.
How do you tell the difference between a mountain biker and a vacuum cleaner?

You can't see the dirt bag attached to the vacuum cleaner.

j/k. That's actually a snowboarder joke.

Old 01-14-13, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
How do you tell the difference between a mountain biker and a vacuum cleaner?

You can't see the dirt bag attached to the vacuum cleaner.

j/k. That's actually a snowboarder joke.
I've heard it as a quad joke and a Harley joke.
Old 01-14-13, 09:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My general rule is, if you're gonna pass someone, you should be ready to 'make it stick.' By that I don't mean you have to stay in front of them no matter what; but you should be prepared to continue at the pace you used for the pass rather than immediately run out of gas and make him re-pass you.

Sometimes, if the passees take exception to me passing them and try to run me back down, I'll give them what they want. Depending on my mood, I'll either string them along *almost* letting them catch me, or I'll let them reel me in then squirt off the front, and repeat until they give up. "Ooh, I'm running out of gas... FOOLED YA! Oops, now I really am tired... NOT!!! I give up... NO I DON'T!!! and so on. Once in a great while I'll let them catch me, only to discover they can't rest up behind me because there's no draft. That REALLY irks them.
Old 01-14-13, 10:22 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One thing I really concentrate on is holding a consistent pace and effort throughout my/our rides. I've passed so many riders that insist on playing that game it isn't even funny. 98% of the time they wil fade and we'll blow by them 5 miles down the road just holding the same pace.

There is a reason why we caught them in the first place. Same reason I chose not challenge a speed demon that catches me from behind.

This happens so often I decided to make a video of one incident.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 01-14-13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-15-13, 06:14 AM

^^^^You enjoyed that a bit too much, methinks.

Unless someone is really slow or I'm in a big hurry, I often slow down a bit so I won't pass someone. Many roadies simply can't cope with being passed by a fat guy on a bent.

Old 01-15-13, 06:30 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These rules of the road may assist in your development into road riding:

https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Old 01-15-13, 06:39 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My general rule is, if you're gonna pass someone, you should be ready to 'make it stick.' By that I don't mean you have to stay in front of them no matter what; but you should be prepared to continue at the pace you used for the pass rather than immediately run out of gas and make him re-pass you.

Sometimes, if the passees take exception to me passing them and try to run me back down, I'll give them what they want. Depending on my mood, I'll either string them along *almost* letting them catch me, or I'll let them reel me in then squirt off the front, and repeat until they give up. "Ooh, I'm running out of gas... FOOLED YA! Oops, now I really am tired... NOT!!! I give up... NO I DON'T!!! and so on. Once in a great while I'll let them catch me, only to discover they can't rest up behind me because there's no draft. That REALLY irks them.
That's my thinking too. Every once in a while I come up behind someone going a little slower than I'd choose but not sufficiently slowly that I can comfortably pass and maintain a speed fast enough to make it worthwhile passing. Those times I just settle behind the other rider, far enough back that I'm not crowding them, and see what they do from there. If they slow down I'll pass, if they speed up I'll stay put.

Things that annoy me on the road and on the trail is when someone passes as if to make a point but almost immediately loses the extra speed meaning I have to either slow down or pass them right back again. On a clear road it's no big deal but when there's a lot of traffic about it's just an extra hassle. A while back I had a guy pass me, presumably to make a point that his rattly bike could pass my sleek mountain bike (which at the time wasn't all that old and shiny as I'd recently cleaned it), only to leave me stuck behind him as the trail was too narrow to pass for the next couple of miles. Needless to say when it widened out again he got left in the dust.

Last edited by contango; 01-15-13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-15-13, 06:40 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Wow, only 22 replies to get to "The Rules" and the dreaded Velomanati, kind of like the Spanish Inquisition for roadies.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-15-13, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rather can lump all passes into competitive events.... I do same all I can. All of my riding is solo... yet a bike in sight is an opportunity to extend myself. Throttle down.. go for it... the machinery works harder.. my goal.
THEN.. I've extended myself and burnt some reserves... the latter part of the ride is more productive per my long term goals.

I will note though.. few times I get passed is when I'm either gassed, or by a bikie type... riding forward/aero.. which I do NOT. Mostly fairly upright for me.. see where I am going and enjoy the views.

Last edited by SortaGrey; 01-15-13 at 06:44 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.