Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor man's wheelset recomendations.

I'm contemplating replacing the OEM wheelset(original to my 2012 Defy 1), but I can't spend a ton of money. I need a good poor man's wheelset. I'm not looking to race or anything--I just think this would be a good investment. Three months ago, a Continental rep I ran into stated ,of anything to upgrade on a bike, a new wheelset would be #1 on his list. The owner at the LBS said he has an Easton wheelset a customer traded in and I could try them out if I wanted to--I believe he said that they're about $300. He said a Shimano 105 wheelset certainly would be an upgrade to my OEMs I have now. I'd probably buy a Shimano 105 cassette(10 speed) to put on whatever wheelset I bought so if I decide to get trainer I can still ride in crappy weather(think rain, especially cold rain). (BTW, the owner of the LBS said he has a trainer I could borrow so I can still keep my conditioning since the weather has really sucked lately--he knows I have two centuries coming up, April and May.)

FYI, here's a link to my bike: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...specifications
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-16-13 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Edited out redundant text.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your price limit?
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I really can swing more than $350 for the wheelset. The cassette would not be included in the price(105s are about $80).
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say how much you weigh, but you might try some Neuvations.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a stiff wheel and possibly a bit heavier than other recommendations but Mavic Aksiums. Then there are the handbuilts that others can recomemnd a builder for but Shimano 105 hubs mated to Mavic Open pro's would probably come within your price range. Both wheelsets are what I would call indestructable and ride better than your current wheels

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...n-pro-rim.html

A Link to a good builder here in the UK is above so compare prices to what you can get in the US.

Aksiums from the same supplier are $187.50 and I would recommend these if you want a strong but stiff wheel but I think you could do better than Aksiums.

Edit--And also in your price range Shimano Ultegras.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...lack-pair.html

Not ultra light but pretty strong and a bit of "Bling"
    Last edited by stapfam; 01-15-13 at 03:41 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a weight weenie. I'm only 5'7" and weigh only between 138 and 142

Aren't Shimao 6700 Ultegra Wheels Tubeless? I believe I'll need clinchers if I want to use my Conti Gatorskins.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Weight weenie was misused...I meant I'm a light-weight rider.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-16-13 at 06:48 AM. Reason: correction of term.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently replaced the stock wheelset (Alex ALX320 Comp) on my road bike. I went with Velocity A23 Rims on Ultegra Hubs. I picked them up on eBay for $260 including Ultegra skewers and shipping. They are 32 spoke and the rims are a bit wider than my old ones. I'm running 23mm Gatorskins on them and have been very pleased.

My Bikes
    trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2012 specialized roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i installed a set of Vuelta Corsica pro wheels, $249 nashbar, on my bike the beginning of last year.
    i am happy with them, they have supported my lard butt, 220lbs, 1500 miles without needing to be trued. they have very good reviews on Nashbar also.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...97_-1___202455

check online for discount codes for nashbar also.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that wheels should be the first thing on your upgrade list and I think you can get some pretty decent wheels for $350 or so if you shop carefully.

What model are the Eastons?
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I'm a weight weenie.... I want to use my Conti Gatorskins.
    These statements don't go together.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I'd second that suggestion. I bought a pair of their M28X Aeros and have had very good luck with them. Right now they're on sale for $199 a pair, plus their "protection plan" insurance if you want to pop for a few extra bucks.

Edit: I just got an email from them saying the sale price is further reduced at check-out to a total (pre-protection plan) of $169.15/pair.
    Last edited by CraigB; 01-15-13 at 06:48 PM.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I'd second that suggestion. I bought a pair of their M28X Aeros and have had very good luck with them. Right now they're on sale for $199 a pair, plus their "protection plan" insurance if you want to pop for a few extra bucks.
    Yea, not bad!

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/prod...black-1500.htm

I have a pair of Forte (Performance) Titans, that look familiar. I heard they were re-badged Neuvations, but I'm unsure of the model. In any case, I have those on my commuting bike (lots of miles) and they've been completely trouble free.

If you're not rushed for time, you can probably find some pretty sweet wheels out there. When they are on sale, I've seen Ksyrium Elites and Easton EA70 in that price range ... both excellent wheels, IMHO.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great price for the Ultegras. I paid considerably more at my LBS. It's a fine set of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    It would be a stiff wheel and possibly a bit heavier than other recommendations but Mavic Aksiums. Then there are the handbuilts that others can recomemnd a builder for but Shimano 105 hubs mated to Mavic Open pro's would probably come within your price range. Both wheelsets are what I would call indestructable and ride better than your current wheels

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...n-pro-rim.html

A Link to a good builder here in the UK is above so compare prices to what you can get in the US.

Aksiums from the same supplier are $187.50 and I would recommend these if you want a strong but stiff wheel but I think you could do better than Aksiums.

Edit--And also in your price range Shimano Ultegras.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...lack-pair.html

Not ultra light but pretty strong and a bit of "Bling"

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you guys buy wheels via the internet, they arrive needing some tweaks, (tensioning spokes, possible truing), right? If you don't have the set-up to do those yourself, how much does that job cost at your LBS?

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    +1

I bought a second-hand bike that came with an ancient set of Neuvations on it. If the new ones are only half as nice, then they're still darned good.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    So when you guys buy wheels via the internet, they arrive needing some tweaks, (tensioning spokes, possible truing), right? If you don't have the set-up to do those yourself, how much does that job cost at your LBS?
    I suppose it depends. I've purchased three sets of wheels online. I put them on and rode them. And rode them, and rode them. No problems out of the box.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a weight weenie....I want to use my Conti Gatorskins.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    These statements don't go together.
    Color me confused. I gather that "weight weenie" is a person who tries to save every ounce on a bike. For some reason I was thinking that it meant "lightweight." I meant I'm a lightweight as far as it goes with my own weight(138~142 lbs and 5'7"). I'm still learning all the terminology. My question was about the use of my tires and the Ultegra Wheelset(the rim type is tubeless according to Stapfam's link and I thought that the Gatorskins needed clincher wheels)
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-16-13 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Fixed redundant word use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    LOL. I have two sets of Neuvations, one finishing its second year of riding, 20/24h and 16/20h and I'm 220lb. Never needed truing, tensioning, tweaking. I get the impression that if you received a set that wasn't right John N. would come to your house to make the swap himself.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Color me confused. I gather that "weight weenie" is a person who tries to save every ounce on a bike. For some reason I was thinking that it meant "lightweight." I meant I'm a lightweight as far as it goes with my own weight(138~142 lbs and 5'7"). I'm still learning as to all the terminology. My question was about the use of my tires and the Ultegra Wheelset(the rim type is tubeless according to Stapfam's link and I thought that the Gatorskins needed clincher wheels)
    The Ultergas can be used either way. Remove the tubeless valve stem, easy to do by hand, and you can use a tube and normal tire. The tubless function takes a special Hutchenson type of tire and still a squirt of Stans sealant. What makes them tubeless is the spoke holes do not go all the way into the second part of the rim. With a tubeless tire the ridge on the bottom of the side wall fits into a recess on the rim sealing it to air loss, much like your tubeless car tire. But none the less you can use tubes and regular clinchers on both the Ultegra and Dura Ace tubeless rims. The draw back to the tubless system is if you do have to remount a tire you need a blast of air to reseat the tire and a hand pump will not do it.
    Last edited by Mobile 155; 01-15-13 at 09:27 PM.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this shop out. I have 3 sets of their wheels, which were built for touring. Their quality is excellent right out of the box. You can get custom wheels built for less that you would probably pay for just the components.

They can build you a high quality light weight custom wheelset. You pick the components.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly recommend something w/ 32 or 36 spokes per wheel, in a 3X pattern -- there are lots of good options out there. I don't do radial, and I don't do paired or other gimmicky reduced spoke count stuff. The higher the spoke count, the stronger the wheel for a given rim weight. If you are not a sponsored racer, and if you care about reliability, the traditional wheel design will serve you well.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't reccommend enough that you look into hand builts wheels. Look at this page.. http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/ see what they would charge to build the kind of wheels you want. I have one set of Open pros with Dura Ace hubs that have been working for years. If they can build them in the price range you need chances are a wheel builder close to you will as well. I would also reccommend round spokes because every bike shop carries them. No big deal when wheels are new but sooner or later you may break a PITA. And if you do decide to order from these people they will come ready to ride.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a lightweight like you-I would not go for the Aksiums. I have a a pair but they are stiff and I do not have enough weight to keep them on the ground. Son-in-Law has though and he loves them---Especially as he hasn't bought them. The Ultegra's- as Mobile has said- do not have to be used as Tubeless. They are a good weight for the price and really well built. They ride well and although low spoke count are not fragile.

I have been using Merlins for 20 years now and they are well known for their handbuilt Mountain bike wheels. Their 105's to open pro are also used within my local club as they are cheaper and as well built as the Good local wheel builder.

But plenty of wheel builders and builds out there.I would always recommend handbuilts to anyone Provided the builder is good. They seem to add something to the wheel that is not possible with a machine built. They know the product they are selling and the use they can be put to. Their reputation is on the line and they know it so do not sell an inferior product.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen suggestions from light wheels to durable wheels. The two are somewhat exclusive. What is your goal? Reducing weight? Durability? The Giant wheels are fine for durability, just a bit heavy for racing. I am 230lbs and torture wheels. Anything less than hand built 32 hole set up will go a year and be trouble the whole time.
    Aksiums are great wheels for someone in your weight category, but I destroyed a set within 3 months this year! Spokes loosened every ride. Been on an old standby set I had from 1986 and no problems at all.
    Shimano wheels will be fine, but see no real gain unless you go Ultegra or Dura Ace quality. I know nothing about Neuvation.
    The 105 with Open Pro is a classic combo for durability and weight reduction. This is where "somewhat exclusive" comes in as this combo has been successfully used zillions of times with all weight classes.
    As with all things, do your homework before you purchase.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mikey,
    If you are interested in wheels and wheel building I'd recommend that you get Jobst Brandt's, "The Bicycle Wheel, 3d edition", http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...ls_o03_s00_i00 it will walk you through wheel dynamics, choosing components and building a wheel. I got mine a few weeks ago and read it for a refresher. He explains how wheels work, how to choose components and the various lacing and configurations. There are a few others if you want to do any wheel building. Even if you don't build a wheel set you will better understand what to look for in buying wheels.

P.M. me if you want more book titles, I don't want to hijack your thread.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-16-13 at 06:15 AM.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast