Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-15-13, 05:49 PM   #1
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Shutterbugs, how do you carry your camera?

One of the things I might do this year, is move up from my little Canon Powershot SD1000, to a Digital SLR. Before anyone asks, the answer is yes,
I do have some experience with higher end cameras, having used a Nikon FM2 for years. Nice camera, that. Damn near bullet proof. Anyway,
we have some most excellent photographers here, and I'm wondering how some of you carry your cameras. Knapsack, or other kind of bag?
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 06:19 PM   #2
jungovox

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iphone in back pocket - ideally I'd like a blutooth lense on my helmet that communicates a photo back to my iphone - voice activated - look and say 'snap' or 'capture' ... ahhh maybe someday.

Last edited by jungovox; 01-15-13 at 06:44 PM.
jungovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 06:29 PM   #3
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I only carry pocket cameras when I bike, and usually in a bento box or in a back pocket.

One thing I should tell you about DSLRs ... the kit lenses are typically junk. In the old days, the optical quality of ANY lens from a major camera manufacturer was good to great. That's not the case anymore. I've taken to shooting most of my DSLR landscape pix at f/8 to preserve image quality. Unless you're interested in low-light or flash photography, a high-quality pocket camera may well be a better choice.
Old 01-15-13, 06:45 PM   #4
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
One of the things I might do this year, is move up from my little Canon Powershot SD1000, to a Digital SLR. Before anyone asks, the answer is yes,
I do have some experience with higher end cameras, having used a Nikon FM2 for years. Nice camera, that. Damn near bullet proof. Anyway,
we have some most excellent photographers here, and I'm wondering how some of you carry your cameras. Knapsack, or other kind of bag?
The best way, get yourself a Pelican case for your DSLR gear, add a rack to your bike, and simply strap the Pelican to the rack. If you ditch your bike, your camera will be fine....

I take my DSLR, wrap it in a towel (a jacket or mid-layer works too) put that into a pannier. The issue as always is that you need to unpack to use the camera, which is why I recommend the Pelican case.... I went the other way, added a little P&S to my arsenal, cost less then the Pelican case so if it gets crunched I'm not so worried about it.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 06:55 PM   #5
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
I carry my 6+ year old 'pretty darn stupid' phone with me. I can take really horrendous pictures with it. Someday I may upgrade, but that's pretty far down the list. I guess you could say I don't qualify to respond to this thread
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 06:57 PM   #6
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
I bought a ruggedized pocket camera so I don't need to worry about bagging it to avoid sweat and rain. Of course, I don't ride in the rain.
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 07:25 PM   #7
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I used to hang my Nikon P100 around my back w/ the neck strap,
see something nice I swing the camera to the front and snap away.
Then I got a waterproof pocket camera, FUJIFILM XP50. It's much
more convenient carrying it in the back pocket of my jersey.

All photos and videos taken with a Fujifilm XP50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U930E...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
Old 01-15-13, 07:26 PM   #8
NOS88

Bikes:
I use and highly recommend the Chrome Niko DSLR camera bag with my Nikon D7000, two lenses, and a flash with room to spare. I don't like any transport method that leaves the camera on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-niko-chrome-01[1].jpg (35.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 16-photobag-blog480[1].jpg (28.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by NOS88; 01-16-13 at 07:05 AM.
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 07:51 PM   #9
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
My very small Canon Elph 100 HS hangs from my neck on a Bower neck strap (http://www.amazon.com/Bower-SS2475BK.../dp/B000NI5694), either in or next to an older Zing neoprene camera cover that was originally bought for a Canon Elph APS film camera. This wouldn't work on an upright bike but works for me on my recumbents - I'm reclined and the camera rests on my upper abdomen/lower chest.
I'm able to get the camera in or out of the cover with one hand, as well as shoot with one hand.
Old 01-15-13, 08:02 PM   #10
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
35mm film era, I had the gear in a Padded Lowe photo fanny-pack in a dry rack pack bag on the front, over the wheel rack.

protecting the camera slowed down the access a lot.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 08:49 PM   #11
dendawg

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a handlebar bag that hods my dslr (Canon 7D at the moment) and a spare lens nicely. I also keep a large zip lock bag handy in case of rain.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 10:37 PM   #12
TomD77

Bikes:
For the occasions that I carry one of my real cameras either biking or walking, I have a Lowepro backpack. It will carry a large, full frame, pro level camera w/lens attached, a couple of spare lenses, a flash, and nooks and crannies and pouches just everywhere. Rigid but padded and very comfortable, has a built in waterproof cover too. A pocket camera can go into one of my zippered or flapped pockets on my MTB shorts.

Something I've seen and want is called a Cotton Carrier (brand name) harness. Very secure and comfortable. Camera can be carried on chest (picture below) or hip.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 836946.jpg (38.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by TomD77; 01-15-13 at 10:42 PM.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 06:48 AM   #13
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
I like SLRs but just can't go with the weight and changing lenses. I compromise with a Cannon G11 with an optical viewfinder as well as the screen. The size and weight are about like a traditional viewfinder. I toss it in a pack on the back and hang it around my neck in areas where I want to take a lot of pictures. On many rides, I just carry a phone like others mention.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 07:02 AM   #14
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just got the Canon G15, which the real pros in our office say is almost as good as an SLR. Mind you, I have yet to download the instruction manual, so am sort of fuzzy on how it works. It's almost small enough to fit in a jersey pocket, but I will probably end up putting it in a seatpost bag.
Old 01-16-13, 09:07 AM   #15
FrederickH

Bikes: Litespeed Classic- Full Campy 10 Speed
I've got the the Canon Powershot SD1100 IF Elf and carry it in a small zip-lock bag, wrapped with two rubber bands that cross over in the middle. This keeps the camera dry from sweat/weather and the rubber bands keep the camera from sliding from my back jersey pocket.
FrederickH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 04:04 PM   #16
browngw 

Bikes: 1958 Sun Cresta, 1971 Robin Hood Sports, 1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 1979 Raleigh DL1 Tourist, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2016 Giant ATX27.5, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder,1993 Raleigh Portage MTB and others
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When not carrying my shockproof XP150, I carry my Sony Apha 200 DSLR in a Lowepro AW200 sling pack on my back. Unless I crash, the camera will be safe. It is fairly comfortable for medium length rides.
Old 01-16-13, 05:09 PM   #17
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I used to carry an inexpensive pocket camera in my jersey pocket but since my iPhone takes better pictures, I now use it instead.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 05:19 PM   #18
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
I last carried my SLR's, Nikon FE or Pentax K1000 in a kid's lunch bag hung off the side of my bike basket. Safe from shock and jolts from riding. A plastic shopping bag inside offered protection from rain. Cost of bag was 25 at a garage sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camera Bag.jpg (98.7 KB, 17 views)
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 06:42 PM   #19
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000
I carried my monster heavy, complicated, expensive Canon 7D and kit lens in my totally waterproof Ortlieb large handlebar bag. The camera is quite rugged, the lens maybe not so much until I upgrade to better L glass. Takes great pics, and I insist on having it up front where I can roll to a stop a snap a quickie when I want so I don't miss lots of shots. In a pannier I would miss a lot unpacking, etc. The bar bag comes off whenever I leave the bike for a sec, since it holds my wallet, phone, and other valuables, and I go off with the shoulder strap.

In my limited experience I have found the big SLR too heavy by a lot. A point and shoot/phone camera is so much lighter that for all but most serious of photogs it just cannot be justified.

For me though, since I spent as much on the camera and lens as the whole bike, it goes with
lhendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 10:28 PM   #20
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle
I have a Pentax W90 point & shoot "outdoor/sport" type cam
I carry it in a pocket or the handle bar bag
It will take some abuse as I have already dropped it in water and on concrete
so I dont worry about it if I wipe out on my bike
for the price and size it takes a decent pic
and I find it handier to use than my phone cam
Bent Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 11:17 PM   #21
wn rider

Bikes:
Love to take pictures while riding so, for me, convenience is the most important thing.

I still use my Canon Powershot that's a couple of years old but what I really like is the case that came with it (made by Pixium). Has a clip that I can use right on my shorts (reasonably comfortable) and a magnetic flap in front. I can easily get the camera out, take a picture, and put it back with one hand. Unless I am really cruising downhill at a high speed, I can pretty much take a picture anytime and I don't need to stop.

Downside is that the case is not waterproof. I took some nice pictures on the front end of the Triple Bypass route last year but had to put it away on the final climb since we got dumped on. Bummer since I really wanted complete documentation :-)
wn rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 11:45 PM   #22
Yo Spiff 
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On my road bike, I keep a Powershot S90 in a jersey pocket. On the other bike, which has a rack, I carry my 50D in a padded rack trunk. This photo shows it in a performance trunk, but I have recently changed to a Topeak bag with foldout panniers. The camera compartment is configured about the same on both. An important feature is a rack trunk with a fuzzy cloth lining that velcro camera bag dividers will stick to.

Rack Trunk for 50D by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
Old 01-17-13, 01:43 AM   #23
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Many
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Some of my bikeforum photo essays are linked below. I used a digicam for all of them, which I keep either in my jersey pocket, or in a small waist pack. My DSLRs are forbidden from ridding with me on my bikes.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ompleted-at-64

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...6#post10603226

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...15#post8593215

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Sign-(w-pics)
Old 01-17-13, 06:40 AM   #24
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
On my road bike, I keep a Powershot S90 in a jersey pocket. On the other bike, which has a rack, I carry my 50D in a padded rack trunk. This photo shows it in a performance trunk, but I have recently changed to a Topeak bag with foldout panniers. The camera compartment is configured about the same on both. An important feature is a rack trunk with a fuzzy cloth lining that velcro camera bag dividers will stick to.

Rack Trunk for 50D by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
Spiff,
That is a very nice bag for your camera, it looks well made and seems to keep things organized as well as safe from being shaken around. +1 for that set up.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 07:27 AM   #25
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike
camera mount

i use a camera mount on my handle bars for my kodak m22. i take dig. pics. and video.
i recorded 6 of the local bike paths in my area.
then i play while ride indoors on my trainor.
here is a pic. of my dashboard with a mount. i now use a different mount now, than the one in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash board (640x480).jpg (62.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by skycomag; 01-17-13 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling
skycomag is offline   Reply With Quote