Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shutterbugs, how do you carry your camera?

One of the things I might do this year, is move up from my little Canon Powershot SD1000, to a Digital SLR. Before anyone asks, the answer is yes,
    I do have some experience with higher end cameras, having used a Nikon FM2 for years. Nice camera, that. Damn near bullet proof. Anyway,
    we have some most excellent photographers here, and I'm wondering how some of you carry your cameras. Knapsack, or other kind of bag?
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iphone in back pocket - ideally I'd like a blutooth lense on my helmet that communicates a photo back to my iphone - voice activated - look and say 'snap' or 'capture' ... ahhh maybe someday.
    Last edited by jungovox; 01-15-13 at 05:44 PM.
    2008 White/Black Orbea 'Orca' w/SramRed - S-Works bar - Yoeleo SL SAT 50mm Carbon Wheels
    2009 Specialized 'Roubaix comp' with Sram Force - S-Works bar/stem

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only carry pocket cameras when I bike, and usually in a bento box or in a back pocket.

One thing I should tell you about DSLRs ... the kit lenses are typically junk. In the old days, the optical quality of ANY lens from a major camera manufacturer was good to great. That's not the case anymore. I've taken to shooting most of my DSLR landscape pix at f/8 to preserve image quality. Unless you're interested in low-light or flash photography, a high-quality pocket camera may well be a better choice.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    One of the things I might do this year, is move up from my little Canon Powershot SD1000, to a Digital SLR. Before anyone asks, the answer is yes,
    I do have some experience with higher end cameras, having used a Nikon FM2 for years. Nice camera, that. Damn near bullet proof. Anyway,
    we have some most excellent photographers here, and I'm wondering how some of you carry your cameras. Knapsack, or other kind of bag?
    The best way, get yourself a Pelican case for your DSLR gear, add a rack to your bike, and simply strap the Pelican to the rack. If you ditch your bike, your camera will be fine....

I take my DSLR, wrap it in a towel (a jacket or mid-layer works too) put that into a pannier. The issue as always is that you need to unpack to use the camera, which is why I recommend the Pelican case.... I went the other way, added a little P&S to my arsenal, cost less then the Pelican case so if it gets crunched I'm not so worried about it.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry my 6+ year old 'pretty darn stupid' phone with me. I can take really horrendous pictures with it. Someday I may upgrade, but that's pretty far down the list. I guess you could say I don't qualify to respond to this thread
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a ruggedized pocket camera so I don't need to worry about bagging it to avoid sweat and rain. Of course, I don't ride in the rain.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to hang my Nikon P100 around my back w/ the neck strap,
    see something nice I swing the camera to the front and snap away.
    Then I got a waterproof pocket camera, FUJIFILM XP50. It's much
    more convenient carrying it in the back pocket of my jersey.

All photos and videos taken with a Fujifilm XP50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U930E...6zPoymgKaIoDLA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use and highly recommend the Chrome Niko DSLR camera bag with my Nikon D7000, two lenses, and a flash with room to spare. I don't like any transport method that leaves the camera on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NOS88; 01-16-13 at 06:05 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My very small Canon Elph 100 HS hangs from my neck on a Bower neck strap (http://www.amazon.com/Bower-SS2475BK.../dp/B000NI5694), either in or next to an older Zing neoprene camera cover that was originally bought for a Canon Elph APS film camera. This wouldn't work on an upright bike but works for me on my recumbents - I'm reclined and the camera rests on my upper abdomen/lower chest.
    I'm able to get the camera in or out of the cover with one hand, as well as shoot with one hand.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35mm film era, I had the gear in a Padded Lowe photo fanny-pack in a dry rack pack bag on the front, over the wheel rack.

protecting the camera slowed down the access a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a handlebar bag that hods my dslr (Canon 7D at the moment) and a spare lens nicely. I also keep a large zip lock bag handy in case of rain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the occasions that I carry one of my real cameras either biking or walking, I have a Lowepro backpack. It will carry a large, full frame, pro level camera w/lens attached, a couple of spare lenses, a flash, and nooks and crannies and pouches just everywhere. Rigid but padded and very comfortable, has a built in waterproof cover too. A pocket camera can go into one of my zippered or flapped pockets on my MTB shorts.

Something I've seen and want is called a Cotton Carrier (brand name) harness. Very secure and comfortable. Camera can be carried on chest (picture below) or hip.

836946.jpg
    Last edited by TomD77; 01-15-13 at 09:42 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like SLRs but just can't go with the weight and changing lenses. I compromise with a Cannon G11 with an optical viewfinder as well as the screen. The size and weight are about like a traditional viewfinder. I toss it in a pack on the back and hang it around my neck in areas where I want to take a lot of pictures. On many rides, I just carry a phone like others mention.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Road bike, road bike, road bike (folder). See a trend here?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got the Canon G15, which the real pros in our office say is almost as good as an SLR. Mind you, I have yet to download the instruction manual, so am sort of fuzzy on how it works. It's almost small enough to fit in a jersey pocket, but I will probably end up putting it in a seatpost bag.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Litespeed Classic- Full Campy 10 Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the the Canon Powershot SD1100 IF Elf and carry it in a small zip-lock bag, wrapped with two rubber bands that cross over in the middle. This keeps the camera dry from sweat/weather and the rubber bands keep the camera from sliding from my back jersey pocket.
    Lightspeed Classic with Campy Record 10 Speed
    Eddy Merckx Century with Campy Ergo 8 Speed
    Gitane Professional with Campy Record 7 Speed
    Marin Ultimate Team Titanium with Shimano XTR 8 Speed

My Bikes
    1974 Sekine Mixte, 1975 Sekine SHS,1975 Raleigh Sprite, 1976 Raleigh Sprite, 1980 Raleigh Record, 1983 Raleigh Sprite Mixte, 1993 Raleigh Portage, 2010 Giant Cypress, 2012 Giant Halfway Folder, 2012 Giant Expressway et al
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When not carrying my shockproof XP150, I carry my Sony Apha 200 DSLR in a Lowepro AW200 sling pack on my back. Unless I crash, the camera will be safe. It is fairly comfortable for medium length rides.
    We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to carry an inexpensive pocket camera in my jersey pocket but since my iPhone takes better pictures, I now use it instead.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    I last carried my SLR's, Nikon FE or Pentax K1000 in a kid's lunch bag hung off the side of my bike basket. Safe from shock and jolts from riding. A plastic shopping bag inside offered protection from rain. Cost of bag was 25 at a garage sale.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried my monster heavy, complicated, expensive Canon 7D and kit lens in my totally waterproof Ortlieb large handlebar bag. The camera is quite rugged, the lens maybe not so much until I upgrade to better L glass. Takes great pics, and I insist on having it up front where I can roll to a stop a snap a quickie when I want so I don't miss lots of shots. In a pannier I would miss a lot unpacking, etc. The bar bag comes off whenever I leave the bike for a sec, since it holds my wallet, phone, and other valuables, and I go off with the shoulder strap.

In my limited experience I have found the big SLR too heavy by a lot. A point and shoot/phone camera is so much lighter that for all but most serious of photogs it just cannot be justified.

For me though, since I spent as much on the camera and lens as the whole bike, it goes with

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pentax W90 point & shoot "outdoor/sport" type cam
    I carry it in a pocket or the handle bar bag
    It will take some abuse as I have already dropped it in water and on concrete
    so I dont worry about it if I wipe out on my bike
    for the price and size it takes a decent pic
    and I find it handier to use than my phone cam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love to take pictures while riding so, for me, convenience is the most important thing.

I still use my Canon Powershot that's a couple of years old but what I really like is the case that came with it (made by Pixium). Has a clip that I can use right on my shorts (reasonably comfortable) and a magnetic flap in front. I can easily get the camera out, take a picture, and put it back with one hand. Unless I am really cruising downhill at a high speed, I can pretty much take a picture anytime and I don't need to stop.

Downside is that the case is not waterproof. I took some nice pictures on the front end of the Triple Bypass route last year but had to put it away on the final climb since we got dumped on. Bummer since I really wanted complete documentation :-)

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my road bike, I keep a Powershot S90 in a jersey pocket. On the other bike, which has a rack, I carry my 50D in a padded rack trunk. This photo shows it in a performance trunk, but I have recently changed to a Topeak bag with foldout panniers. The camera compartment is configured about the same on both. An important feature is a rack trunk with a fuzzy cloth lining that velcro camera bag dividers will stick to.

Rack Trunk for 50D by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my bikeforum photo essays are linked below. I used a digicam for all of them, which I keep either in my jersey pocket, or in a small waist pack. My DSLRs are forbidden from ridding with me on my bikes.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ompleted-at-64

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...6#post10603226

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...15#post8593215

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Sign-(w-pics)
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    On my road bike, I keep a Powershot S90 in a jersey pocket. On the other bike, which has a rack, I carry my 50D in a padded rack trunk. This photo shows it in a performance trunk, but I have recently changed to a Topeak bag with foldout panniers. The camera compartment is configured about the same on both. An important feature is a rack trunk with a fuzzy cloth lining that velcro camera bag dividers will stick to.

Rack Trunk for 50D by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
    Spiff,
    That is a very nice bag for your camera, it looks well made and seems to keep things organized as well as safe from being shaken around. +1 for that set up.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    gt traffic 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

camera mount

i use a camera mount on my handle bars for my kodak m22. i take dig. pics. and video.
    i recorded 6 of the local bike paths in my area.
    then i play while ride indoors on my trainor.
    here is a pic. of my dashboard with a mount. i now use a different mount now, than the one in the pic.
    Last edited by skycomag; 01-17-13 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast