Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aortic Valve Replacement and resuming cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 08:24 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Had my aortic valve replaced on December 4th, and was just cleared this week to resume driving.

I have been walking around the block and getting back into small household chores. I was told 30 plus years ago that if I lived long enough I would need to have the valve replaced. The first valve was found to be leaking so they wheeled me back in for try number two. Luckily I was still under anesthesia and knew nothing of the problem.

I start cardiac rehab on Feb 5th.. three times per week. The surgeon told me I would get more
out of walking and riding my bike, but I want some adult medical supervision at first to make sure everything is working. I have not been on the bike since last May, so I am looking forward to getting back on it.

I will be 68 in early April, and figure I can ride my age in furlongs by then!

Anyone else out there have AVR? By the way, I now have a 21mm Carpentier-Edwards bioprosthetic aortic valve (pig valve). I feel at least ten years younger and hope that translates to more fun on the bike.

Thanks, and I will post up when I actually get to ride again.

Pete
Old 01-16-13, 08:45 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on getting things fixed up -- feeling "at least 10 years younger" is certainly a good sign.. No, let me correct that: it is a GREAT sign!

I can't say that I know much about valve replacements -- but as for PT / cardiac rehab:

I have always been of the opinion that physical therapy can get things started and lead the way -- but it is up to you to do the work.

I have seen people go into therapy with a passive attitude and simply do what they're told -- nothing more, nothing less.
... Generally they come out of it with mediocre results -- at best.

I would advocate letting the rehab therapist lead you and get you started but do as much as you can on your own. Unless the therapist or physician tell you otherwise, I see no reason why you should restrict your therapy and rehab to only the three days a week you are at the rehab center. In fact, most everything they do there you can do on your own (or maybe at a gym).

Often therapy and rehabs are restricted not because of the patient's limitations but on what the insurance is willing to pay for.

So, with the knowledge, consent and support of your physician and therapist, I say GO FOR IT -- EVERY DAY!
... Just don't overdue it and don't overstress your body and your cardiovascular system.
....... Perhaps a walk around the block (or ride) is all you can safely do. But if you can do it safely; DO IT!
Old 01-16-13, 08:47 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
I cycling friend of mine had this in 2012. In 2013, he did the 500 mile FANY ride. I predict many long rides in your future!

- Ed
Old 01-16-13, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dawes56
Hi All,

Had my aortic valve replaced on December 4th, and was just cleared this week to resume driving.

I have been walking around the block and getting back into small household chores. I was told 30 plus years ago that if I lived long enough I would need to have the valve replaced. The first valve was found to be leaking so they wheeled me back in for try number two. Luckily I was still under anesthesia and knew nothing of the problem.

I start cardiac rehab on Feb 5th.. three times per week. The surgeon told me I would get more
out of walking and riding my bike, but I want some adult medical supervision at first to make sure everything is working. I have not been on the bike since last May, so I am looking forward to getting back on it.

I will be 68 in early April, and figure I can ride my age in furlongs by then!

Anyone else out there have AVR? By the way, I now have a 21mm Carpentier-Edwards bioprosthetic aortic valve (pig valve). I feel at least ten years younger and hope that translates to more fun on the bike.

Thanks, and I will post up when I actually get to ride again.

Pete
You friggin' rock.
Otherwise good luck with your rehab and avoid the hills.
Old 01-16-13, 10:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Dawes,
This is fantastic news, I am glad the surgery and the correction went well and it sounds as if you are recovering nicely. You seem to have a good grip on the rehabilitation and getting back into things. Please keep us posted on your progress.No pics of the AV+1and AV+2 please, I imagine they would be pretty gruesome to most of us.

Bill
No pics, but I do have the surgical report...no wonder I hurt so much when I first got home! Thanks for the
encouragement, and I won't overdo it but I will be back on the bike soon. Just another of life's little challenges.

Pete
Old 01-17-13, 05:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Problem with Heart surgery is normally in the mind. How hard can I push- will I do any damage etc. Recovery should be steady and enough. Do not push TOO hard TOO soon. You probably won't be able to for a while recovering from the surgery but listen to your body but keep working it.

I had a Bypass in 99 and I can remember those first bits of exercise I did. 300 yards to the local shop and I was finished. Week later and it was a 1 mile walk into the town for a coffee and a 1 mile walk back-albeit very slowly. Month later and it was done at 4mph- a good walking pace for me. 3 months after surgery and I did a hilly 40 mile ride that if I knew how hard it was going to be- I would have trained for.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-17-13, 08:47 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I'm needing to have my aortic valve replaced as well. Right now it's at a point where they're not telling me it must be done immediately but it's bad enough that they'll schedule the surgery whenever I decide I'm ready. At the moment I'm thinking of trying to make it through the summer and have it done next fall. If I'm going to be off the bike for a few months I'd rather it be over the winter months.

I too have questions about recovery time so I'll be watching this thread closely. Because my condition is congenital and the rest of my heart is in great shape I'm less concerned about my heart recovering versus my ribs healing after my chest is cracked open. I can imagine standing sprints probably wouldn't be a good idea too soon after the surgery.
Old 01-17-13, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I won't try to do anything too fast.

Tundra_Man,
I was in the same situation getting somewhat vague guidance as to when to have the surgery. I think the hardest part was scheduling it in spite of having no symptoms (other than being tired all the time).

I will keep updating this thread with recovery milestones.. by the time the weather warms up I expect to be
back on the bike.

Take care and be safe!

Pete
Old 01-17-13, 12:16 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
I cycling friend of mine had this in 2012. In 2013, he did the 500 mile FANY ride. I predict many long rides in your future!

- Ed
OOPS - surgery in 2011, ride in 2012. I must have slipped a cog! - Ed
Old 01-17-13, 01:32 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I'm needing to have my aortic valve replaced as well. Right now it's at a point where they're not telling me it must be done immediately but it's bad enough that they'll schedule the surgery whenever I decide I'm ready. At the moment I'm thinking of trying to make it through the summer and have it done next fall. If I'm going to be off the bike for a few months I'd rather it be over the winter months.

I too have questions about recovery time so I'll be watching this thread closely. Because my condition is congenital and the rest of my heart is in great shape I'm less concerned about my heart recovering versus my ribs healing after my chest is cracked open. I can imagine standing sprints probably wouldn't be a good idea too soon after the surgery.
By 'congenital', I assume you mean that you have had it since birth -- so you've lived with it for at least 50 years if you're on this forum.

Is it getting worse? Is it stopping you from doing something that is important to you? Does it pose a danger?

It's not my place to question either you or your physicians. But sometimes physicians (especially surgeons) just like to fix things. Sort of like taking your WallyWorld bike into the LBS and telling them that it doesn't shift well. They will be happy to install a new and improved set of components on it for you...
Old 01-17-13, 02:45 PM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
By 'congenital', I assume you mean that you have had it since birth -- so you've lived with it for at least 50 years if you're on this forum.

Is it getting worse? Is it stopping you from doing something that is important to you? Does it pose a danger?
It is getting worse. We actually found it last spring because I was starting to have chest pain and some irregular heartbeats. I'm noticing I'm getting more winded than I used to for the same activity level. A few weeks ago on a ride with a friend we were only going about 11 mph and I sounded like I was doing wind sprints. Earlier this fall I pretty much abandoned running due to the problem, which is discouraging because I actually enjoy running more than biking.

My cardiologist said that it's not uncommon for this problem (aortic stenosis) to go undiagnosed until later in life. The malformed heart valve can keep up for a while, but then starts to wear out and that's when the symptoms appear.

And confession time: I'm actually only 43. However I saw the thread title show up in the cross-forum "New Posts" search results, and because I had the exact same questions about the same procedure, I joined in the discussion even though I'm a bit under the age limit. Hopefully I won't get kicked out because of this.
Old 01-17-13, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I'm guessing you have a bicuspid aortic valve. That is a pretty common congenital anomoly. If so, you're in good company. That's what the Governator had repaired. He seems to be doing well with it.

I got a leaky mitral valve. I'll trade you valves if you'd like. Mitral valve replacement isn't quite so easy.

Anyway, good luck and best wishes.

Old 01-17-13, 06:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is getting worse. We actually found it last spring because I was starting to have chest pain and some irregular heartbeats. I'm noticing I'm getting more winded than I used to for the same activity level. A few weeks ago on a ride with a friend we were only going about 11 mph and I sounded like I was doing wind sprints. Earlier this fall I pretty much abandoned running due to the problem, which is discouraging because I actually enjoy running more than biking.

My cardiologist said that it's not uncommon for this problem (aortic stenosis) to go undiagnosed until later in life. The malformed heart valve can keep up for a while, but then starts to wear out and that's when the symptoms appear.

And confession time: I'm actually only 43. However I saw the thread title show up in the cross-forum "New Posts" search results, and because I had the exact same questions about the same procedure, I joined in the discussion even though I'm a bit under the age limit. Hopefully I won't get kicked out because of this.
Thanks for sharing that. I learned something.
Old 01-17-13, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My uncle had the same surgery & has been riding for a year now. He had to build up slow & doesn't take off too fast. Good luck.
Old 01-17-13, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I were you I would not put it off much longer. The bad valve can cause atrial fibrilation which can lead to a stroke. If you are already short of breath.... well it is none of my business and I am no doctor lol.

Just be sure the cardiologist is following you closely.
Old 03-03-13, 06:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick update... have been going to cardiac rehab at the local hospital three times per week (8 sessions so far). The exercises are done while wearing a heart monitor and having blood pressure taken
now and then. Exercises include stretching, three sessions on a treadmill (6 minutes each), arm bike (two sessions), stationary bike (one session), and free weights, albeit light ones. Speeds and levels of resistance are increased as appropriate.

I am having no problems with the rehab.. in fact so far it feels easy.. but I don't want to rush anything.
I did, however, ride the bike on Friday... just around the neighborhood.. so I can still balance and pedal lol. It has turned colder and windy again so I have not been out. Bear in mind that in line with the rehab sessions, I only rode for 10 minutes or so.. in a very low gear combination...

Although I won't be riding my age on my upcoming 68th birthday in early April, I am planning to be riding regularly by then, and covering distances that can at least be called "rides." Heck, I could ride my age in furlongs right now! (8.5 miles).

Still on this side of the grass,

Pete
Old 03-03-13, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Kudos and best wishes.

Old 03-03-13, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep riding. Maybe you'll be riding your age by the end of Summer. I have no idea though if that is an unrealistic goal and post surgery patients need more time than that, but if you can reach that goal, great! The most important thing is you can ride now.
Old 03-03-13, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Keep riding. Maybe you'll be riding your age by the end of Summer. I have no idea though if that is an unrealistic goal and post surgery patients need more time than that, but if you can reach that goal, great! The most important thing is you can ride now.
+1
Old 03-03-13, 08:03 PM

Bikes: 1979 schwinn varsity

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will be just fine. I had open heart surgery (cabg x4) nine weeks ago. Been doing one hour hard trainer rides five days per week since four weeks post-op. will hit the road this weekend for a 25-30 miler. Don't hold back if you feel good but listen to your doc regarding max hr. ride brother ride.
Old 03-03-13, 10:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmy906
You will be just fine. I had open heart surgery (cabg x4) nine weeks ago. Been doing one hour hard trainer rides five days per week since four weeks post-op. will hit the road this weekend for a 25-30 miler. Don't hold back if you feel good but listen to your doc regarding max hr. ride brother ride.
Glad to hear you are doing well -- and planning a nice ride...

... Good luck with the ride AND the weather... (The way things have been going this winter -- I'm not sure I will plan on much of anything till I see some flowers that aren't in a vase)
Old 03-04-13, 07:10 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
65 year-old from our group had AVR last summer and he's back riding as if nothing had happened, i.e. strongly.
Old 03-05-13, 10:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the continued encouragement. I had planned to ride today before the first real snow of the winter engulfs Maryland... my wife had other plans for me. Looks to be warm the rest of the week and weekend so any snow should be gone and the bike paths cleared by Saturday.

The nurse at cardiac rehab told me I am doing enough METS (metabolic equivalent something or others) during the exercises at rehab that I can ride the bike for basically as long as I want based on how I feel.
So I will be expanding my ride this weekend.

I have been riding a hybrid since 2006 and generally used to ride only 50 to 70 miles in a week anyway, so I should be back to that soon. My 56 Dawes needs some TLC before I get back on that, but it is a nice project to begin thinking about.

I guess it is time to end this thread.. I will post further rides if they are "significant" (in my mind at least) in the Did you ride Today thread.

Spring will be here soon I hope.

Pete
Old 03-11-13, 02:15 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
enjoy life while you can. all of our days are numbered.
Old 03-11-13, 06:29 PM

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a stent emplace on my Anterior Decending artery. I went through rehab and the whole 9 yards. I went back to work 2 1/2 weeks after the attack. I'm a mechanic by trade. 3 weeks after starting work I hammered a wheelbearing out of a GMC pickup. Pushed it too hard and ended up back in for 2 days. Upper body workouts will get to you the quickest. Cycling would be good for you.

BUT DO NOT OVERDO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to yourself. When you get tired and winded call it a day. Work back slowly and all will be well. Be careful out there. And welcome back.

Mark Shuman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.