User Tag List

My Bikes
    lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

total knee replacement

any one return to cycling at the level they were before replacement?I do a lot of long gravel rides and was doing endurance mnt bike races and not sure what to expect.Thanks

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very first person to give you advice and guidance on what can be expected of the implants ,as well as what to do and not do while riding, is your surgeon doing the work.
    He/she is THE best person to discuss your concerns with.

All the advice you get here will be pure speculation since your body is your body and will behave as such.

I had both knees replaced in 2003/2004 finding that it was critical to do my after surgery therapy to even be able to walk right. So do your follow up therapy and follow your doctors advice !!!!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TKR two years ago and riding better than I was before. After surgery, work hard on your PT - it really makes a difference.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a left tkr back in 2008 and my results are that I am riding now more than ever before. I am able to ride 30 miles or more with no pain. I will have a right tkr on Feb 25th and I expect to be back riding again as soon as my knee is healed and the doctor approves it. I commute to work by bike most days and all my riding is done on asphalt. Definitely do the physical therapy to the best of your ability after the surgery, no sense going through surgery not to have the best results possible. Good luck with your tkr.

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the advice to work hard on your PT.

Here's a thread I started earlier:

Last-Ride-of-2012

I think you'll do fine if you keep up with the PT.

- Ed

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another "your actual mileage my varying" message

My best friend of 45 years, who had been my riding, running, and skiing partner for most of that time, had a total knee replacement. Before the TKR he was very serious about mountain and road riding and advanced yoga and was very good at both.

He was a fanatic about his post surgery PT.

BUT - suffered severe adhesion's and scar tissue buildup around the new knee and couldn't bend his knee 85 degrees a year after surgery. He has had two more procedures done to remove the adhesion's and scarring but can still only bend the knee 98 degrees.

His bicycle riding is limited to slow easy rides on a "Townie" and yoga is out of the question.

His surgeon said it happens in about 2% of her cases.

OTH - he had no choice but to have the TKR because he had developed some type autoimmune problem inside the knee and was in constant, excruciating pain and had almost no mobility. He is currently pain free (4 years post surgery) and can walk easily. He is pleased he had the surgery but misses riding and torturing himself with yoga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One piece of advice my surgeon gave me (he is also a cyclist) is no more hammering or standing up on the pedals to ride since that puts to much pressure on the implant.

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long

will he be resrticted to no standing for ever or will it become strong enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    One piece of advice my surgeon gave me (he is also a cyclist) is no more hammering or standing up on the pedals to ride since that puts to much pressure on the implant.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I had TKR on rt knee after six other knee surgeries, not just scopes

Last year I did five triathlons. This year I plan two Ironman70.3's. So, yes you can cycle IF you do the therapy. And take some weight off the knee.

If you don't reach the point where your leg can straighten you can never walk without a limp, and lots of therapists won't tell you that little tidbit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    The implant and plastic bearing have a wear life since they are manmade. Only God makes lifetime joints.

Standing up, or hammering, on the pedals add much pressure to the bearing ,and implant/bone interface, due to the lunging motion of that motion.