User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter project progress.

Converting Mrs. Grouch's Kettweisel to 27 speed is proving to be a challenge. I was able to pick up all of the big pieces pretty economically. It's acquiring the small parts that's generating all the fun.

I thought that I could just order a front derailleur mast from Hase. It turns out the derailleur mast is actually 3 parts - the CNC'd mast, a spring metal clamp, and a cone shaped part to hold the cable stop. The 3 parts were easily acquired for $128.00 which doesn't sound too bad to me unless one compares it to the cost of installing a front derailleur on a diamond frame bike. Also, the cable stop and fasteners weren't included but I had a cable stop in my spares and was able to buy an M5 flat head machine screw that fits perfectly from Home Depot.

The issue of the week is chain slack take up. The rear derailleur that I have won't take up all of the chain slack and installing one with a longer cage is iffy because, with 20" rear wheels, it would hang down too far in the middle of the rear axle. Hase uses an additional spring loaded slack take up device. Not the kind of part I'm likely to find at my LBS. I found a compression spring at Home Depot that looks like it will work, but I lack a hat shaped nylon bushing that would make the assembly a little more elegant. I'll see if I can order the "right" spring and nylon bushing this week from Hase.

My plan is to see if my grandson Tyler can come over next weekend to install the shifter and front derailleur with me and see if we can get it all to work. We also have two other trikes that would probably benefit from front derailleur adjustments. Derailleur mast - $128.00. Wrenching with my grandson - priceless. I love projects like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an exercise in patience as much as a labor of love!

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also fine tuning bikes I purchased or put-together in 2012.

1978 Trek: Rebuilt wheels with new spokes and Sun CR18 rims. I added a 7 speed Suntour Ultra Freewheel. The chainstays are being ovalized to provide 4mm more tire clearance.
    2011 Origin 8 CX700: 700x50 Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires & Planet Bike 29er fenders (it all fits :-) )

I've been dreaming of a custom sports/touring frame, but that won't happen this year.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-20-13 at 04:37 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RG,
    Sounds like you are on the way to the conversion now. What about one of the intermediate cage ders that are out, not as long as the LC ders but still more take up. I have seen some DF bikes with the SRAM WiFli drive using this configuration. Just a thought, you know far more than I do about the Ketts, that is a different animal from what I am used to working on. Pics of the conversion when it is finished if you would, please.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of indecision, I've just sent my 1957 Maclean frame away to be painted and modified with removal of old bosses, addition of new and widening the rear dropouts to accommodate 9-10 speed. I have considered bringing it back to its original state, but finally decided to modernize it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single-speed idler?
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardly!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    RG,
    Sounds like you are on the way to the conversion now. What about one of the intermediate cage ders that are out, not as long as the LC ders but still more take up. I have seen some DF bikes with the SRAM WiFli drive using this configuration. Just a thought, you know far more than I do about the Ketts, that is a different animal from what I am used to working on. Pics of the conversion when it is finished if you would, please.
    This is a wheel that has already been invented so it's just a matter of acquiring the right parts. The dealer that I bought the trike from put me in touch with (I assume) the Hase folks. So far their response has exceeded my expectations. This morning I looked at an exploded view of the chain length adjuster and picked out the 3 small parts that I think I need. Now the question is "Are they get-able and at what price?" My experience has been that such small parts are more commonly made available in Western Europe (in the US they usually only sell the whole assembly) and Hase is a German company so I have strong hopes.