Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Too cold so I moved inside.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 08:28 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

I hate riding on a trainer but mid 20s is just too cold.

So I moved the bike to the basement. I just have to remember to not get out of the saddle.

Old 01-21-13, 08:40 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
We all have our thresholds. Mid 20s would be just dandy for me, but in Minnesota we're fighting to get above zero. I'm thinking about riding mid-week, when the temperatures will be in the high single digits. Not sure if I'll brave it. But by the weekend we're getting up ***to the mid 20s*** and that will suit me just fine.

If I added up the $$$ I've spent on winter gear, I wonder what it would total?
Old 01-21-13, 08:58 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good man! Now how about some action photos? Burning, flashing quads, puddles of sweat and all that....

Is that a turntable in the background? Cool!
Old 01-21-13, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
We all have our thresholds. Mid 20s would be just dandy for me, but in Minnesota we're fighting to get above zero. I'm thinking about riding mid-week, when the temperatures will be in the high single digits. Not sure if I'll brave it. But by the weekend we're getting up ***to the mid 20s*** and that will suit me just fine.

If I added up the $$$ I've spent on winter gear, I wonder what it would total?
I spent a winter at my sister's in the U.P. When the temps got up around zero the kids all went outside to play. Crazy stuff. My bike rarely sees temps below the teens, although I'm going to give it a go in the morning at 4F.
Old 01-21-13, 09:07 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still going here. Today it was in the low 20s but I still made it out. But only got 11+ miles before my toes got too cold and too numb. I thought about stopping at a coffee shop to get warmed up -- but had too many chores and errands to do before the snow was supposed to start.

I did want to continue though: I needed another 7 miles to make it an even 200 for the month.

Tomorrow it will be in single digits -- and that's too cold for me.
Old 01-21-13, 09:44 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You'll be thrilled to know that it was 79 in Phoenix today and I worked up quite a sweat riding at 4 pm today.
Old 01-21-13, 10:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a good time to re-visit some of that vinyl that hasn't been played in a while. The record cleaning machine tucked in the corner tells me your serious.
Old 01-21-13, 10:12 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by k7baixo
You'll be thrilled to know that it was 79 in Phoenix today and I worked up quite a sweat riding at 4 pm today.
Please report in again on or about July 4th!

Last edited by billydonn; 01-21-13 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I spent a winter at my sister's in the U.P. When the temps got up around zero the kids all went outside to play. Crazy stuff. My bike rarely sees temps below the teens, although I'm going to give it a go in the morning at 4F.
uh huh When my daughter was in preschool there was outdoor recess every day unless the temperature was below zero.
Old 01-21-13, 10:56 PM

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hate riding on a trainer but mid 20s is just too cold.
Went for a ride today and it was 19 degrees. you down-staters are too soft......
Old 01-22-13, 02:01 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Gym yesterday which I walked to in the snow and Gym tomorrow. Rest day today so no ride in the 23F temp and Ice on the roads.

Thank goodness

Spike Milligan
Old 01-22-13, 03:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
uh huh When my daughter was in preschool there was outdoor recess every day unless the temperature was below zero.
Similar story here. When my kids were in grade school, the rule was they went outside for recess unless the wind chill was below -20 F. Nevertheless, when my son was in high school, kids would give him a hard time when I was spotted riding outside during the winter.
Old 01-22-13, 06:02 AM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Slowhead
It looks like a good time to re-visit some of that vinyl that hasn't been played in a while. The record cleaning machine tucked in the corner tells me your serious.
Was more serious in the past but I still enjoy it from time to time.

The systems is vintage late 1970s and for the most part has been replaced by Pandora on my smartphone.
Old 01-22-13, 06:22 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
snip....I just have to remember to not get out of the saddle.

Oldnslo2,
Aren't you glad you don't have a ceiling fan right there when you forget things in the heat of a good workout and stand to really hammer it....

+1 for the turn table!. Old Vinyl LPs rule, my man, good catch Donn. Like the cinder block and lumber shelves too, reminds me of when we first got married..... and for 5 years after too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-22-13, 06:23 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was more serious in the past but I still enjoy it from time to time.

The systems is vintage late 1970s and for the most part has been replaced by Pandora on my smartphone.
I have a laptop hooked to my stereo and am in the process of transferring the vinyl LPs to MP3's. I already transferred all of my CDs over.

I play them back through the stereo which then gives me a nice mix of music from the LPs, CDs and newer purchased MP3's: Just click on "Piano" or "80s rock", whatever and I get hours of nice music. And, I also get the same on my IPhone which has almost 30Gb of music on it.

The CD in my car broke -- so now I have to figure out a way to get the IPhone to play through the car stereo ...
Old 01-22-13, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 86 Posts
I can relate to this, though it is the snow that they predicted that kept me from riding to work. I used the trainer this am. And then lo and behold there was no snow to speak of when I woke up, but at that point it I was not ready to ride to work. Oh well, the trainer will have to do, unless I am able to get home after work quickly and get a quick ride in.
Old 01-22-13, 07:58 AM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Oldnslo2,
Aren't you glad you don't have a ceiling fan right there when you forget things in the heat of a good workout and stand to really hammer it....

+1 for the turn table!. Old Vinyl LPs rule, my man, good catch Donn. Like the cinder block and lumber shelves too, reminds me of when we first got married..... and for 5 years after too.

Bill
No ceiling fan but the boxed beam is about 1" from my head when i'm sitting upright in the saddle. Luckily when i'm on the pedals i'm a but lower or I could smash my head on the beam.

Those cinder blocks date back to when I was 17 and still lived with my parents. Cheap and sturdy. I once had a friend who was in altered states (remember it was the late 70s) fall face first into the shelves. He broke his nose but the needle never skipped.

As to old vinyl... the preamp uses vacuum tubes and modern digital just does not sound as warm or fluid.

When I turn it on and turn down the lights it brings me back to 1972.
Old 01-22-13, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I well remember having to walk my beagle dog at 4:am in order to avoid triple digit temps in Phoenix back in '81...
Old 01-24-13, 04:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I moved my running inside at the Y, I felt like a whimp as I ran on the treadmill and the running group ran by outside. But i just can not run in the cold. I told myself I would ride everyday to the Y to make up for it. Then this week we hit 0-9 for the highs. I drove. Mine was the only bike missing from the bike rack. Oh well such is life. Today is 13 so I will ride again.
Old 01-24-13, 05:24 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Whoa! Talk abut too cold it's 7 degrees here this morning. Damn.
Old 01-24-13, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ceiling fan but the boxed beam is about 1" from my head when i'm sitting upright in the saddle. Luckily when i'm on the pedals i'm a but lower or I could smash my head on the beam.

Those cinder blocks date back to when I was 17 and still lived with my parents. Cheap and sturdy. I once had a friend who was in altered states (remember it was the late 70s) fall face first into the shelves. He broke his nose but the needle never skipped.

As to old vinyl... the preamp uses vacuum tubes and modern digital just does not sound as warm or fluid.

When I turn it on and turn down the lights it brings me back to 1972.
CDs and digital were advertised as providing better sound than the vinyl they were replacing. While they are more durable and more convenient, there is NO WAY that they provide better sound. (at least from a high quality stereo and records that are clean and in good shape).

And, I find the same is true comparing the digital monitors and TVs to the old cathode ray tubes. They simply don't have the color depth and accuracy.

I equate the digital "revolution" as equivalent to Wonder Bread and Tang: We were told over and over that we got more nutrition from modern chemistry than from mother nature.
... Unfortunately, analog is dead -- except for us die hards...
Old 01-24-13, 09:21 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I actually like both, vinyl and digital. Vinyl for the richness and digital for extra clarity, but digital mostly for convenience. A little tough to play a vinyl in the car.

Actually, Plasmas run much closer to CRT tubes than LCDs. Of course if they ever get OLED(Organic Light Emitting Diode) or AMOLED(Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode)screens down in cost and up to the size of current LCD/Plasma sets, you will jump onto the OLED wagon. Plasma & LED sets are just so cheap to make now that it will be a while before AMOLED/OLED can compete or be justified. But, CRTs may have a fuller color reproduction but the clarity sucks.

-----------------------------------------------

Just be sure to use a quality trainer as it can be the difference between enjoyment and torture.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-24-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
I actually like both, vinyl and digital. Vinyl for the richness and digital for extra clarity, but digital mostly for convenience. A little tough to play a vinyl in the car.

Actually, Plasmas run much closer to CRT tubes than LCDs. Of course if they ever get OLED(Organic Light Emitting Diode) or AMOLED(Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode)screens down in cost and up to the size of current LCD/Plasma sets, you will jump onto the OLED wagon. Plasma & LED sets are just so cheap to make now that it will be a while before AMOLED/OLED can compete or be justified. But, CRTs may have a fuller color reproduction but the clarity sucks.

-----------------------------------------------

Just be sure to use a quality trainer as it can be the difference between enjoyment and torture.
Uhhh.... So you're trying to tell me there's no free lunch?
Old 01-24-13, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Got a couple of rides in there last week. Pretty cool in the early am! Perfect for Barrett Jackson though.
Old 01-24-13, 01:36 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rollers... you have the risk of riding off the ends to keep you paying attention to what you are doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.