Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MRI: Partial hamstring tear

    I've been waiting for weeks to get an MRI to learn why I have various types bi-lateral hip pain. This began in November after a long (90-minute) vigorous walk. At that same time, I also began experiencing sharp pain whenever I raised my left knee against resistance on or off the bike (probably an irritation of the rectus femoris tendon) and sharp pain in the groin.

    Today I got the MRI report: Partial tear of the LEFT hamstring. From what I've read so far, this sounds like a grade 2 tear.

    I cannot walk long distances without pain in that area (base of the glutes), even a short distance to and from a store. I am seeing a doctor and doing numerous core exercises in addition to daily stretching of tight hip flexors. I am allowed to do anything that doesn't cause pain, but it's impossible to completely avoid any walking from point A to point B.

    QUESTION: Has anyone fully recovered from a partial hamstring tear and resumed riding without problems? I am concerned this may be a long-term chronic problem.

    In 2011 I had bi-lateral tennis elbow, and now this!!!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  2. #2
    Senior Member bruce19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Posts
    2,958
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may not apply to your situation because I was young at the time but.....I tore my hamstring pretty good playing football in college in the mid-60's. I've never had a problem (actually played another year of football) with it and especially not cycling.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,663
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    This may not apply to your situation because I was young at the time but.....I tore my hamstring pretty good playing football in college in the mid-60's. I've never had a problem (actually played another year of football) with it and especially not cycling.
    Same here, except mine was playing high school basketball. The sheath ripped asunder and it still bulges when the muscle is flexed.

    I never fully appreciated how quickly I healed when I was young. I sure miss that now. At least I've gotten better about not injuring myself as often as I've gotten, ahem, more experienced.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and it is a long road to recovery if you are trying to avoid surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  5. #5
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Yes and it is a long road to recovery if you are trying to avoid surgery.
    Specifically, what things did you do to recover? I am not good at lying around the house so, fortunately, I am able to do my full core and arm exercise routine and standing doesn't bother it (meaning that cooking isn't a problem). Walking even a short distance irritates it so that eliminates even going to the store. Plan B: Discover what I CAN do, and do those things.

    I would not have surgery unless absolutely necessary, which I doubt (it doesn't appear to be a full-thickness tear or avulsion). It's highly likely the right hamstring is torn as well since I have the same (but much worse) pain on that side, and a new MRI of the right side is already scheduled for next week.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  6. #6
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen,
    I don't have any experience or suggestions to offer you for advise, you have had some really bad luck with injuries lately. I hope that you can find some things you are able to do for activities to keep some fitness and keep from going stir crazy. I'll have you in my prayers for relief from the pain and for the doctors to find an answer for your questions and a plan for recovery to good health and activities you enjoy.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  7. #7
    Climbing Above It All BikeWNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Basking in the Sun.
    Posts
    4,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previously torn hamstring was detected years later (decades) by getting an MRI of my lower back. I've had years of asymmetry and discomfort mostly from loss of disc space in L5-S1 and L4-L5 (no disc space actually). It really wasn't an issue that they could fix (hamstring) since it was long healed over, though scarred. Time puts wear and tear on the body. I just do what I can (exercise and rehab) and deal with it.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

  8. #8
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Thank you for your replies.



    Specifically, what things did you do to recover? I am not good at lying around the house so, fortunately, I am able to do my full core and arm exercise routine and standing doesn't bother it (meaning that cooking isn't a problem). Walking even a short distance irritates it so that eliminates even going to the store. Plan B: Discover what I CAN do, and do those things.

    I would not have surgery unless absolutely necessary, which I doubt (it doesn't appear to be a full-thickness tear or avulsion). It's highly likely the right hamstring is torn as well since I have the same (but much worse) pain on that side, and a new MRI of the right side is already scheduled for next week.
    I resorted to upper body and core exercises and included cardio using a hand bike at the gym. As for treatment, a combination of a walking cast, frequent elevation and ice packs, a lot of accupuncture with electro stimulation, laser to increase blood flow and Graston physio to breakdown scar tissue. This went on for a year, after which, I was able to ride pretty much normally. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

  9. #9
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    I resorted to upper body and core exercises and included cardio using a hand bike at the gym. As for treatment, a combination of a walking cast, frequent elevation and ice packs, a lot of accupuncture with electro stimulation, laser to increase blood flow and Graston physio to breakdown scar tissue. This went on for a year, after which, I was able to ride pretty much normally. Good luck.
    Thank you.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  10. #10
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Yen,
    I don't have any experience or suggestions to offer you for advise, you have had some really bad luck with injuries lately. I hope that you can find some things you are able to do for activities to keep some fitness and keep from going stir crazy. I'll have you in my prayers for relief from the pain and for the doctors to find an answer for your questions and a plan for recovery to good health and activities you enjoy.

    Bill
    Bill, thank you very much!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  11. #11
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your symptoms sound very similar to things I've been dealing with for the last year+, but when I finally had an MRI, it turned out that there was no muscle tear, but rather, osteoarthritis. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery- being injured and sidelined just plain sucks.

  12. #12
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    Your symptoms sound very similar to things I've been dealing with for the last year+, but when I finally had an MRI, it turned out that there was no muscle tear, but rather, osteoarthritis. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery- being injured and sidelined just plain sucks.
    Yes it sure does! I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with a similar problem. My MRI and hip x-ray show no arthritis -- hip joints are clean as a whistle. This appears to be a bad case of biomechanical issues -- a weak core and shortened hip flexors/hamstrings after years at a desk job and lack of adequate exercise/stretching during that time.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  13. #13
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    ...snip My MRI and hip x-ray show no arthritis -- hip joints are clean as a whistle. ...snip
    That is really something to be glad about, Yen, one less major place to worry about for a bit!!!

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  14. #14
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    That is really something to be glad about, Yen, one less major place to worry about for a bit!!!

    Bill
    Yes! My doctor said he did a double-take to verify he was looking at my x-rays and not those of someone much younger. I am very thankful.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •