Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gym improvements?

This will be my 3rd week down at the gym and I am still building up my fitness. Once I do then I shall start putting some effort into it instead of just Grunting and sweating. Even if I wanted to- I doubt that I could put in as much effort as I should on the machines without pulling something. Actual rides are few and far between right now but if the weather is fine I will get out for a "Recovery" 20 miler as Cycling is still the best bit of training. Both For the physical aspect and for enjoyment.

But I am trying to get to the gym every other day right now. 1 hour Cardio or 1 hour spinning. The recovery days in between are spent trying to do the few jobs around the house and garden or in the bike shed so it is not a full out training programme.

Besides the Fitness side- I am also trying to lose a few lbs in the process. I would like to get down to my target weight of 140lbs but that might be difficult. 145 is realistic though but I have to accept that below that would take more work than I would like to do. End of last year and I was knocking on 155lbs too frequently for comfort. Trousers were no longer loose and I could feel that weight wobbling about on the bike. Got down to 150 by the time I started at the gym and that was through Diet. Two weeks of gym and I had lost absolutely Zilch. Felt a lot better though and the paunch wasn't moving as much under exercise but weight was not coming off. Then as of Last Sunday The scales started moving downwards. 147 this morning so either the wife's diet that I have been forced to go on is having an effect- or exercise has finally stated paying dividends. The wife's diet is not having an effect. Not smaller quantities to eat-just healthier food-but 2 hours later after midday or evening meal and I am hungry. There is not enough carbs and protein in it for me and I have found myself raiding the fridge for a couple of yoghurt (Not my favourite food) or a snack of cheese and Cold meats. Not a great fruit eater by the way so don't suggest that stuff and Rabbit food of Grains and greenstuff is out of the question.

So it does look as though The gym work is paying off. The fitness still has a long time before it comes back to a level that I want but it will. Looks Like I will end the winter in better condition than it started and the customary 5lbs weight gain by April may not be there. Better not be as me at 160lbs in tight Lycra would not be a pretty sight.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you doing for weights? Any regimen for muscle tone or increasing mass? Just wondering 'cause I have my own "system" that consists of avoiding the gym during riding weather and then in the off-season going every other day to the gym and spinning and lifting. I find that my body responds pretty quickly to weightlifting but that spinning is pretty mediocre compared to actually riding a bicycle outside.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stap,
    You need to offer a sacrifice of a virgin Colnago, or some such, to the god of English Harsh Weather so the rain, ice and wind will cut you a little slack. Hope the pounds come off and that the aerobic base can stay up where it is good.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An actual Weights programme does not exist for me. However within the Cardio exercise-or at the end- I go onto a few machines to improve mobility. The usual leg curls and tummy crunches are within that along with a few that put my body into shapes that I would not normally use. Resistance pulling on swivelling the torso-upper body machines that I use with small weights- the calf strengthening. None of these I class as weights exercising but just Mobility as I do not use heavy weights. Several reasons for this and the main one being that I do not need to. Keep mobility-- YES but wear out joints through overwork--NO

Gradually over the next 3 or 4 months weight will go on the machines but it will never be heavy weights. Lighter weights with faster and more repetitions will do the job just the same.

Spent the "Recovery" day catching up with some paperwork and I now NEED to go to the Gym tomorrow. It's either the gym or the cat goes through the window. One day sitting inside as too cold wet and windy to do anything outside has driven me nuts.

Edit

5 minutes ago we were having a good thaw on the snow. Posted this- made a cup of coffee and it is blizzard conditions out there. Just hope the wind blows it away again.
    Last edited by stapfam; 01-22-13 at 08:53 AM.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just take it easy Stapfam.

Not sure about your age, but I (at ~ age 35) decided to "get back in shape" with a (too) fast and heavy regimen of biking, hiking, lifting weights (did much in high school) and, unfortunately, stretching exorcises.

Well, long story not short enough, I managed to pinch a nerve in my back while attempting to touch my toes. This pinched nerve led to minor to somewhat severe back problems that lasted "on and off" for nearly 5 years. I was lucky in that I could still work "full bore." However, this bothersome injury took a heavy toll on my biking, hiking, and weight lifting...

Anyway, good luck with your fitness program.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMB42 View Post
    Not sure about your age, but I (at ~ age 35) decided to "get back in shape" with a (too) fast and heavy regimen of biking, hiking, lifting weights (did much in high school) and, unfortunately, stretching exorcises.
    Not young enough to be able to jump straight in full bore at age 66 so I am prepared to gradually build up till the end of February before I start pushing myself hard. I will be increasing effort and Levels on the machines gradually so that in March I can start pushing hard. Currently get a few aches after a session- hence the reason I am taking a recovery day every other day. Weather will play a part in this and IF we get the odd day where I can get out on the bike- I will.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back on the topic of whether exercise helps you lose weight... I'm not totally convinced either way, but I find it interesting.

But here's a "study" that I did involuntarily. In 2011 I rode the Wildflower Century on May 1. In the month of April I rode more than I ever have before:

WildflowerTraining.jpg

Then, during the ride I crashed, and had to stop all exercise for over a month. So, I went from exercising a lot to not exercising. FWIW, this is what happened with my weight:

WeightAfterCrash.jpg

Yes, it could be muscle loss, but it interesting to see no increase in weight. If cardio helps you lose weight, or helps you maintain weight, I'd have predicted that my weight would start to inch up over the course of the month following the crash.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al,
    After you were injured do you think your metabolism kept up the rate it used calories or only slipped slightly and you continued to burn them off or possibly your hunger abated with the injury stopping your activity and the mental effect of being down because you got injured were behind the weight loss? You stayed in a fairly narrow range in the weight and just the slight loss as the overall trend. That is interesting to see and think about. I know I don't want to eat as much when I am injured or sick, I loose interest in eating most times, I lose a lot of weight during all the surgical recoveries I have gone through in the last decade. It is usually when I get back in the routine of work and regular activity I gain back weight. Last time it was too much and too long without exercise but getting back to work and eating irresponsibly, it contributed to the onset of the renal failure I have to manage now. Just a rambling thought.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam... I'm not sure what your cycling related goals are. I don't know if you are a competitive racer or just an extremely fit recreational cyclist. However, I'm neither. I love cycling but don't have any aspirations to race and I don't have any personal goals as to how fast I want to be. The bicycle, for me, is for enjoyment, being with friends, and a tool for getting fit. You seem very focused on getting your weight to a particular number. I'm not sure what significance that number has. You already seem like you are fairly fit. Maybe improving your strength would be more beneficial to your cycling efforts than merely losing a few pounds.

I've been following the diet advice of Mark Sisson, a former world class distance runner. He has a program called primal blueprint (something that seems like it would fit in with the types of foods that you like to eat.) It's helped me lose 22 lbs in the last 2 months. However, what I find more interesting than his diet program is what he recommends for exercise. Not the "chronic cardio" but resistance training with powerful and explosive movements that build muscle and burn fat (along with the diet.) Mark is pushing 60 years and has the body of a fit 18 year old. He does not recommend spending hours and hours doing cardio at a heart rate above 75% percent of max. He recommends that you stay in the 55% - 75% zone for your daily exercise of walking, jogging, cycling, or hiking. He has sworn off the "endurance athlete" diet and training regime and gives some excellent reasons for doing it.

I would recommend building your strength. Your endurance is fine, I'm sure. Get stronger, lose the little bit of fat that you have... and don't worry about "hitting a number on the scale." Of course, if your goals are that of a competitive endurance athlete then what I have suggested is complete nonsense. But, if "competition" is the goal, be prepared to have your body suffer the results of that type of stress. It's not for me at age 50... this out of shape body needs to last me many, many more years.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to most retiree's round here- I am pretty fit without cycling. Agile enough to climb the 30 ft trees to lop by Bow saw- Able to climb onto the shed roof to repair without falling off- paint the outside of the house up a 20ft ladder- Build structures in the garden with only a bit of assistance to hold the other end of a 15ft of lumber while I screw it into place---In fact I do regard myself as pretty fit for an oldun.

But my hobby is physical. Lot of difference on using skills you have and physical endeavours. I get annoyed when I struggle up a hill- have to cut a ride short because night is coming or just don't do a ride as it will be too demanding. I am not far below par but it is enough to say that IF I improve a bit- I can do more.

Spike Milligan