Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Holly Molly! KK Road Machine!

    Some may have read that my LBS lent me, at no charge, an old trainer they had in the shop--hard as the dickens and a pain to set up. Well, more foul weather is on it's way and may prevent my riding, especially at 0430. Since I need to keep up the riding for my upcoming centuries, April 20 and May 11, I decided that I should invest in a trainer--and this will also be very handy since I'll likely get carpel tunnel release surgery for my left hand next Nov. I looked around, read some posts here, did some PMs and decided on the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine(If I were stuck indoors for a couple of months straight, I would've looked at the Rock 'n Roll as a more likely candidate.). Anyway, my LBS just got a Road Machine in today and I pulled the trigger for the trainer(plus the pro flywheel add-on). I brought back their old trainer and set up the Road Machine when I got back home. After setting the Road Machine up, I got the bike out of the garage and put it on the Road Machine. What an amazingly easy bike set up, especially compared to the borrowed trainer! The ride was so much nicer and definitely more like riding than the borrowed trainer(or rather, borrowed torture device). I think 3rd world countries might use the trainer I borrowed as punishment for prisoners.

    The Kurt Kinetic is so smooth and sweet--and quieter than the other trainer. The KK RM is still more consistent effort than just riding the roads, but much more pleasurable to ride.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.


    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

  2. #2
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats - thats a nice trainer. The biggest issue with trainers is fighting the boredom. I bought a CycleOps Fluid 2 last fall and used it rarely as Id rather ride outside. However, I almost got flattened on an unlit road and so I decided to focus on the indoor trainer more this winter. Ive been hitting it steadily for a few weeks now. I found the best aid for me was to get an old iPod and load it with your favorite songs of the 80's. I crank up the volume and tune out for 45 minutes every other worknight. I literally zone out and get a great workout - the time flies! Im in a 32 degree garage and finish each session covered in sweat.

    The KK is a nice trainer but I must also say the CycleOps is a nice piece of kit too. I love mine and it has a 10 second mount/dismount.

    Not being personal but do you wear a thong when riding? Attached to the bike I mean . Its a piece of stretch towel-like material that stretches from the handlebars to below the seat. Stops all that salty sweat from doing a corrosion number on your, headset, frame and seapost etc. CycleOps make a good one for $20 or so. I use it and its pretty good at keeping the sweat off the bike.

    http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Bicyc...cycleops+thong

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mikey, do yourself a favor and sign up for trainer road. It will provide you with some structured rides that will help you get the most out of your trainer, and counteract any boredom.

  4. #4
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are wise, grasshopper.

    Advise you try the RM both with and without the Pro flywheel.... very different IMO, but both are good in their own way. Use your RM wisely and do not just ride idly for hours on end or your IQ will plummet. Train with a purpose: single leg turns, fast pedals, intervals of various lengths. This is the way to trainer happiness.

    And don't forget the fan when it is warmish or thermal exchange will be an issue. The accessory below is en route to my training garage as we speak...

    Desirable
    Accessory
    Click Here


    Dulcious ex Asperis!
    Last edited by billydonn; 01-23-13 at 08:48 PM.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  5. #5
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it Donn, show him a link for a neat piece of trainer kit and make it one that says unavailable, no idea when it will be available.



    Delicious as Asparagus!

    Donn, you have probably made another turbo convert in me, I started Sunday looking at various sites for the prices and features on them and might just have to get one. Still not sure on the mfgr but I am bookmarking a few websites now for reference here shortly. You need to set up an account link so that you receive a commission on each one a 50+ member buys some how.

    Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-24-13 at 05:25 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  6. #6
    Senior Member John_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Posts
    3,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mikey,

    Nice choice on the trainer. Kurt makes an awesome product, from what I've heard. I bought my Minoura trainer because of the price but in a way, I wished I had done more research on trainers when I bought it. Here in Florida, we really don't have a season where you are stuck indoors for days on end so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. However, with the all the crashes I have had in the last two years, I have used the trainer more for rehab than for riding during inclement weather. Although my Minoura is a really nice trainer, there were times that I wished I had looked around a bit more.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

    2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress


  7. #7
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Should be "Holy Moly! KK Road Machine!"

    Before anyone says it...
    Yeah, yeah, I misspelled the title when I started the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    Congrats - thats a nice trainer. The biggest issue with trainers is fighting the boredom. I bought a CycleOps Fluid 2 last fall and used it rarely as Id rather ride outside. However, I almost got flattened on an unlit road and so I decided to focus on the indoor trainer more this winter. Ive been hitting it steadily for a few weeks now. I found the best aid for me was to get an old iPod and load it with your favorite songs of the 80's. I crank up the volume and tune out for 45 minutes every other worknight. I literally zone out and get a great workout - the time flies! Im in a 32 degree garage and finish each session covered in sweat.

    The KK is a nice trainer but I must also say the CycleOps is a nice piece of kit too. I love mine and it has a 10 second mount/dismount.

    Not being personal but do you wear a thong when riding? Attached to the bike I mean . Its a piece of stretch towel-like material that stretches from the handlebars to below the seat. Stops all that salty sweat from doing a corrosion number on your, headset, frame and seapost etc. CycleOps make a good one for $20 or so. I use it and its pretty good at keeping the sweat off the bike.

    http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Bicyc...cycleops+thong
    The mounting of the bike on the KK RM is very quick--probably takes about 10 or 15 seconds, maybe 20(but FARRRRR faster, easier, and less painful than mounting on the borrowed one. I actually bought the Cycleops thong, what the LBS had, when I borrowed the trainer. I do sweat but I don't sweat a lot--not because I'm not working, I just naturally don't except when it's hot and humid, and even then, lighter than some do. I also use a big fan while on the trainer.

    Quote Originally Posted by dalameda View Post
    Mikey, do yourself a favor and sign up for trainer road. It will provide you with some structured rides that will help you get the most out of your trainer, and counteract any boredom.
    The times I've been on the trainer, I've watched a movie on my netbook, Netflix, and haven't had a boredom isssue(only done a trainer 3x so far). The trainer comes with a DVD and has a sample session I believe...I'll have to look at it. I'll think about your suggestion, but the trainer is more for the occasional day I can't get on the road. Additionally, I must have a mind that can entertain itself as last year I spent 4 weeks doing stair stepping(2 steps from my garage to the house) for 80 minutes, 6 days a week, while I had to be off the bike because of surgery on my right hand staring at nothing other than a door.

    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    You are wise, grasshopper.

    Advise you try the RM both with and without the Pro flywheel.... very different IMO, but both are good in their own way. Use your RM wisely and do not just ride idly for hours on end or your IQ will plummet. Train with a purpose: single leg turns, fast pedals, intervals of various lengths. This is the way to trainer happiness.

    And don't forget the fan when it is warmish or thermal exchange will be an issue. The accessory below is en route to my training garage as we speak...

    Desirable
    Accessory
    Click Here


    Dulcious ex Asperis!
    As stated above, I've watched some movies while riding to prevent boredom. I also, without real structure(written down, pre-planned, or video), have done some variation, one leg(mainly my left), some high cadence, some mashing, some standing, and a lot of steady--but, probably making a program or using/watching a trainer program would be something to consider. Remember, this is not going to be a part of a regular workout--this is a resource when I can't get on the road because of weather.

    When I borrowed the shop trainer, or torture device, from the LBS, I knew I'd get my own at some point--so, I purchased a bike thong as mentioned, a front wheel riser and a mat, a Giant mat(which has a duffel bag for storage).

    I have a powerful fan to help with staying cool and air movement.



    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    That's it Donn, show him a link for a neat piece of trainer kit and make it one that says unavailable, no idea when it will be available.



    Delicious as Asparagus!

    Donn, you have probably made another turbo convert in me, I started Sunday looking at various sites for the prices and features on them and might just have to get one. Still not sure on the mfgr but I am bookmarking a few websites now for reference here shortly. You need to set up an account link so that you receive a commission on each one a 50+ member buys some how.

    Bill
    Maybe this is the link he meant to give, http://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Traine...d_sim_sbs_sg_8 .

    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Mikey,

    Nice choice on the trainer. Kurt makes an awesome product, from what I've heard. I bought my Minoura trainer because of the price but in a way, I wished I had done more research on trainers when I bought it. Here in Florida, we really don't have a season where you are stuck indoors for days on end so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one. However, with the all the crashes I have had in the last two years, I have used the trainer more for rehab than for riding during inclement weather. Although my Minoura is a really nice trainer, there were times that I wished I had looked around a bit more.
    I knew right now the trainer wouldn't be used much, but I wanted a quality unit--plus, I'll likely get carpel tunnel release(for my left hand) in Nov and will need to use it for about 3 weeks as I won't be able to ride on the road during the healing process.


    ----------------------------------------------------------

    BTW, the shop gave me a good deal on the trainer and pro flywheel. $300 for the trainer and $85 for the accessory flywheel. Comes out to be as good or better than many sources on the net. Supported my LBS and fared as well as if buying online.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-24-13 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added some additonal information
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.


    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    That's it Donn, show him a link for a neat piece of trainer kit and make it one that says unavailable, no idea when it will be available.



    Delicious as Asparagus!

    Donn, you have probably made another turbo convert in me, I started Sunday looking at various sites for the prices and features on them and might just have to get one. Still not sure on the mfgr but I am bookmarking a few websites now for reference here shortly. You need to set up an account link so that you receive a commission on each one a 50+ member buys some how.

    Bill
    Bill
    Cool mat is on sale now at modernbike.com. Its a good shop.

    And WTF whats a turbo?

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  9. #9
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turbo = trainer, I spend a lot of time reading British cycling magazines, more of them than American ones.

    Donn, I saw some of the KK mats on Ebay yesterday at pretty good prices if anyone is looking for one. I decided to save up my coins and turn bottles for deposit so I can save enough for a KK Road Machine based on the recommendations here. I saw some offers with the trainer (better now?), the front wheel block, a mat and a thong as a package deal. I think Mikey found a KK mat at another listing on Amazon, too. I just wanted to "yanketh thine ole chain a bitteth", Pope Billydonn I

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did 90 minutes on the new green machine(KK RM) this AM. Winter storm warning for our area and the wife really didn't like the idea of my riding on the road. Will ride the trainer tomorrow AM and try to get back on the road to test the Mavicks on Sunday and Monday doing 50 or 60 miles each day.

    The mat I found doesn't state how many squares come in a package so I don't know what type of deal it really is.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.


    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Turbo = trainer, I spend a lot of time reading British cycling magazines, more of them than American ones.

    Donn, I saw some of the KK mats on Ebay yesterday at pretty good prices if anyone is looking for one. I decided to save up my coins and turn bottles for deposit so I can save enough for a KK Road Machine based on the recommendations here. I saw some offers with the trainer (better now?), the front wheel block, a mat and a thong as a package deal. I think Mikey found a KK mat at another listing on Amazon, too. I just wanted to "yanketh thine ole chain a bitteth", Pope Billydonn I

    Bill
    Tut, tut ole man... This chain yanking is uncivilized. And stop reading Stapfam's posts.... "Turbo" indeed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Did 90 minutes on the new green machine(KK RM) this AM. Winter storm warning for our area and the wife really didn't like the idea of my riding on the road. Will ride the trainer tomorrow AM and try to get back on the road to test the Mavicks on Sunday and Monday doing 50 or 60 miles each day.

    The mat I found doesn't state how many squares come in a package so I don't know what type of deal it really is.
    There are twelve squares in the interlocking mat. Mine came today and Ill post pics soon. It looks sexy so far.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  12. #12
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been spinning down the gym and I said it would take about 6 sessions to get into them. Done 4 and the sweat has started to run now. I always wipe down the contact points after I have used it for the next user- but I was surprised how much sweat had gone onto the machine- let alone how how much missed the machine and went onto the flooring. That is something I cannot clean but if you are dropping that much moisture on YOUR flooring in YOUR home- then the mat seems a very good idea.

    AND on shopping around-Check out the prices in the UK stores occasionally. Especially right now as Christmas didn't happen for the stores over here- Lots of goodies drastically reduced.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  13. #13
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Tut, tut ole man... This chain yanking is uncivilized. And stop reading Stapfam's posts.... "Turbo" indeed!
    Don't blame Stap, as much as we swap P.M.'s it isn't his fault. I got into using a lot of UK spellings and words back when I began racing motocross when I was 16 and read the European mags, carried over with my bicycle mag fetish, I got a subscription to Bicycling Plus from Monica for my birthday and I grab Bicycling Fitness and a few others when they hit our newsstand as well the Australian Ride Magazine. Much better tech articles and bike tests in them and I get a lot of good kidney health safe recipes form them, too. Just another 'Bill" quirk, I am sure you noticed more than a few of my strange and dumb things. Sorry for the inconvenience, old boy, a spot of bother is all, not to worry mate.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the KK RM as well, and it replaced a piece of junk trainer that had really turned me off to trainers. The RM is so much better!

    I've got a coach and a training schedule. I use the trainer a) when the weather's too nasty to do my after-work workout, and b) for those interval workouts for which the trainer is better than outside. Doing climbing repeats is pretty difficult when you live in a pan-flat area.

    I use movies rather than music. I find the movies do a better job of distracting me.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Eastern PA
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    You are wise, grasshopper.

    Advise you try the RM both with and without the Pro flywheel.... very different IMO, but both are good in their own way. Use your RM wisely and do not just ride idly for hours on end or your IQ will plummet. Train with a purpose: single leg turns, fast pedals, intervals of various lengths. This is the way to trainer happiness.

    And don't forget the fan when it is warmish or thermal exchange will be an issue. The accessory below is en route to my training garage as we speak...

    Desirable
    Accessory
    Click Here


    Dulcious ex Asperis!
    Billydonn,

    Probably a stupid question. What or where do you put other leg when doing one leg pedaling?

    Thanks

  16. #16
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
    Billydonn,

    Probably a stupid question. What or where do you put other leg when doing one leg pedaling?

    Thanks
    Hang the off leg toward the rear of bike and rest it on the trainer. You won't have to do this for too long because this is hard. Keep the resistance low.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
    Billydonn,

    Probably a stupid question. What or where do you put other leg when doing one leg pedaling?

    Thanks
    I leave mine attached at the hip.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Eastern PA
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Hang the off leg toward the rear of bike and rest it on the trainer. You won't have to do this for too long because this is hard. Keep the resistance low.
    That is an understatement. Tried for the first time today and barely could get leg around the top. Felt very strange. On the other hand I am able to stretch out an hour on the KK road machine when 15 minutes on the exercise bike was torture. Maybe it is the fact that I am on my own bike.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I've been concentrating on one leg, primarily on the left, my weaker leg, I just relax the right and let the left leg do most of the work. I may be doing it wrong--I'm a bike trainer noob. The trainer may become a more integral workout, but at the moment, I have it so I can still ride on days that are unridable or if I don't have the time to do an outside ride. I have to keep up the time on the bike since I have my first centuries coming last part of April and the first part of May.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.


    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

  20. #20
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Did 90 minutes on the new green machine(KK RM) this AM. Winter storm warning for our area and the wife really didn't like the idea of my riding on the road. Will ride the trainer tomorrow AM and try to get back on the road to test the Mavicks on Sunday and Monday doing 50 or 60 miles each day.

    The mat I found doesn't state how many squares come in a package so I don't know what type of deal it really is.
    Here's the pic I promised.... I set mine up in a T shape to fit under my KK R n R. The mat is thick stuff.... about 1/2 inch. The mat comes in three stacks of four squares snapped together and looks like it can be reconfigured in several ways.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch16 View Post
    That is an understatement. Tried for the first time today and barely could get leg around the top. Felt very strange. On the other hand I am able to stretch out an hour on the KK road machine when 15 minutes on the exercise bike was torture. Maybe it is the fact that I am on my own bike.
    When my coach gives me these to do, it's usually three sets of three reps per leg for 30 or 45 seconds, alternating the legs, with five minutes between sets. I prefer to do these outside, but they're not bad on the trainer. When on the trainer, I just rest the off leg on the trainer like billydon.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  22. #22
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Bikey Mikey;15191457]If I were stuck indoors for a couple of months straight, I would've looked at the Rock 'n Roll as a more likely candidate

    I chose the KK Rock n' Roll because it was supposed to be "More Advanced" than the Road Machine. I wish I had the Road Machine. I have difficulty holding the bike vertical in the R n' R and it is very different than balancing a bike while I ride.

    Like you, I have the larger flywheel and think it is great. And the guts of the machine, the resistor, is also well built and functions well.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  23. #23
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    (If I were stuck indoors for a couple of months straight, I would've looked at the Rock 'n Roll as a more likely candidate.)..
    I chose the KK Rock n' Roll because it was supposed to be "More Advanced" than the Road Machine. I wish I had the Road Machine. I have difficulty holding the bike vertical in the R n' R and it is very different than balancing a bike while I ride.
    Like you, I have the larger flywheel and think it is great. And the guts of the machine, the resistor, is also well built and functions well.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  24. #24
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I chose the KK Rock n' Roll because it was supposed to be "More Advanced" than the Road Machine. I wish I had the Road Machine. I have difficulty holding the bike vertical in the R n' R and it is very different than balancing a bike while I ride.
    Like you, I have the larger flywheel and think it is great. And the guts of the machine, the resistor, is also well built and functions well.
    I'd like to hear more about what you mean by problems holding the bike vertical with the R n R. If you are using the turntable front wheel block I would recommend getting rid of it. Or is the problem something else?

    You can tighten the two bolts that hold the arms to the base FYI. This helps keep the mounted bike vertical.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  25. #25
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, and I'm sure I'm correct, the only difference between the RR and RM is the frame. The mat looks interesting Billydonn. It looks, other than the Kinetic logo, just like interlocking mats you can get at many stores. I've seen those type of mats even at Sam's Club. The Giant mat I got is 3 feet x 6 feet and comes with velcro straps and a duffel type bag to keep it stored and for portability. I opted to get this mat instead of Blackburn or some other brand since I could easily store the mat away. I love how the KK RM can fold for easy storage. So far I've left it set up, the RM that is, but when we have visitors and need to use the spare bedroom, I'll be able to easily put it all away.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.


    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •