User Tag List

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold Weather--COLD

Finally hit the teens here in PA (Fahrenheit). I rode on Tuesday and it was in the low 20s (approx -6 Celsius). I forgot my Endura wind pants. Big mistake. I did about 30 miles the last ten in heavy wind and when I got home my legs were as red as lobsters. Went out of Wednesday and it was in the teens. Took the pants, layered up, was pretty warm. I noticed a few ice patches, so yesterday I put my Nokian snow tires on. They're noisy, heavy, and slow, but they really do grip the road. I think it's OK to reduce mileage, maybe even time on these rides. Riding in the cold weather is a lot of work, and if you add the Nokians, it's even more effort. Comments appreciated. 16 degrees today (-8 Celsius).

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strat,
    Sounds like a cold weather gear testing ground up there, and through New England and the Midwest states, too. Wind pants make a big difference for me, and a wind shell was my wives Christmas present to me, a Pearl Izumi. If the wind is broken and I have on the base layer (Under Armour Cold Gear for me) I can handle the cold. One thing I learned here was to get a Baklava for my head and face, UA has one in the Cold Gear line, there are many others available.

Please be careful in that ice, we don't need any threads about injuries form slip and crash from ice, here. BTW, you members up in the North, Midwest and Great Plains have my admiration for your initiative in riding in these extreme temperatures you are having. It was 65 here yesterday and supposed to hit 70 today.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-25-13 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling error corrected.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Strat,
    Sounds like a clod weather gear testing ground up there, and through New England and the Midwest states, too. Wind pants make a big difference for me, and a wind shell was my wives Christmas present to me, a Pearl Izumi. If the wind is broken and I have on the base layer (Under Armour Cold Gear for me) I can handle the cold. One thing I learned here was to get a Baklava for my head and face, UA has one in the Cold Gear line, there are many others available.

Please be careful in that ice, we don't need any threads about injuries form slip and crash from ice, here. BTW, you members up in the North, Midwest and Great Plains have my admiration for your initiative in riding in these extreme temperatures you are having. It was 65 here yesterday and supposed to hit 70 today.

Bill
    I am thinking that it's OK to hit fewer miles. I did close to 30 yesterday and it took me at least 20 minutes longer than usual because of the tires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlstrat View Post
    I think it's OK to reduce mileage, maybe even time on these rides.
    I am thinking that it's OK to hit fewer miles.

What could anybody possibly say that would make you think otherwise? Yet it sounds like you're seeking approval or confirmation...really, it's fine, you're allowed to dial it back during the worst parts of winter, no one will revoke your Cyclist Card.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comments appreciated. 16 degrees today (-8 Celsius).
    OK ... howz this? You guys are nuts. But in a good way, of course.

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no set formula for normal road bike miles vs. winter miles. Just listen to your body, enjoy your ride, and get a good workout.

Yes, it's possible to enjoy winter rides. Particularly when it's a balmy -6 C.

tougher than a boiled owl droy45's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your rides like usual. I have been doing this in sub zero temps for a long time and I still slow down alot in the cold. I put on my Nokians after thanksgiving and they stay on through March. My average speed drops by about 3mph and my normal 1 hour commute ends up being 1 hour 20 mins. The worse part of that is I'm out longer in the cold and its DARK out. Warmer and longer days are coming and this Arctic air will pass and we'll return to basking in the 30's again.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My Bikes
    LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do it man!!! I would love to be out, it's only 20 degrees F here. But I got a cold or something and tried to cough up a lung yesterday, so staying inside and will play a little old man's basketball over the lunch hour. Subs will be needed!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you didn't slow down with the studs, I would think you were stretching things a bit. I'm running on them myself and they slow me down more than I thought. When spring comes it is great though. Narrow slick tires are a boost for my ego.
    " If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I enjoy this thread. I've slowly been lowering the tempterature I feel comfortable in. I'm down to about 30F. Much colder than that and I can get pretty frosty. Smartwool undergarments help. Still working on how to keep the feet warm. I wear wool socks and neoprene shoe covers, but as a bent rider my feet take the wind straight on.

I'll probably ride tomorrow, in temps of 25-30F. I'll be proud to get 20 miles in. If I wasn't such an addict to this stuff.....

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or you could always try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTxA-xeR3_w
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a hardy rider
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyager, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not having COLD but it is none too warm. Rode last week in 25F and I layered up but only wore KNickers on the legs. My calf muscles rarely feel the cold so just covering the knees was enough. But the ride was slow. Wind still got onto the face and the number of layers restricted movement. Roll on Summer when we can get some of that warming rain.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding here in SE Pennsylvania under the same conditions this week. My mileage and time out always go down in this kind of weather. However, my time in "layering up" increases!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rides have been starting with temps in the mid 20's but warming up to the low to mid 40's. I've found I just put on a whole additional layer and I'm fine. Such as I wear tights over leg warmers. But all the bulk and low temps really does slow you down.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's getting chilly locally. Currently -30F. Hopefully it won't get COLD because that would be another 20 or 30 degrees colder and then I wimp out.
    cooldude.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Still working on how to keep the feet warm. I wear wool socks and neoprene shoe covers, but as a bent rider my feet take the wind straight on.
    I understand that clipless pedals are many pounds lighter, offer a 100% boost in power transfer, and result in 10 to 20 mph more speed than toe cages, but I still ride with toe cages. That allows me to switch to an old pair of Reeboks when temperatures are in the twenties. The old Reeboks have a lot thicker soles than do the cycling shoes, and they will accommodate a couple of pairs of socks without crowding; therefore, my feet are warmer than they would be otherwise. If I'm feeling particularly susceptible to the cold, I'll add some toe warmers over the end of the tennis shoes and add some chemical toe warmers inside. This has worked for me. YMMV.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally hit the teens here in PA (Fahrenheit). I rode on Tuesday and it was in the low 20s (approx -6 Celsius). I forgot my Endura wind pants. Big mistake. I did about 30 miles the last ten in heavy wind and when I got home my legs were as red as lobsters. Went out of Wednesday and it was in the teens. Took the pants, layered up, was pretty warm. I noticed a few ice patches, so yesterday I put my Nokian snow tires on. They're noisy, heavy, and slow, but they really do grip the road. I think it's OK to reduce mileage, maybe even time on these rides. Riding in the cold weather is a lot of work, and if you add the Nokians, it's even more effort. Comments appreciated. 16 degrees today (-8 Celsius).
    Personally, I think it is better to ride frequently than to ride far or fast.

So, with that in mind, I will often shorten a ride (both in mileage as well as time) for a number of reasons:
    -- Cold
    -- Rain
    -- Other, important things to do
    -- Feeling tired
    -- Feeling bored
    -- Feeling uncomfortable

So, rather than push myself to do something I do not want to be doing at the moment, I would rather cut the ride short and try to do better the next day.

I guess the macho crowd would scoff at such a whimpy attitude...

But, I am (hopefully) in it for the long haul -- and I think keeping it safe and fun is more important than any single accomplishment.

Instead, I try to set a mileage goal (20-30 miles/day) and a frequency goal (5-6 days a week). But I don't want to kill the golden goose. So, if it isn't working that day, then I think getting in 8 miles is better than no miles. And, hopefully tomorrow will be better.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad