User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proposed August Ride

We have to be in Winnipeg on August 3, 2013. We have been invited to go fishing in Minnesota a week later. I am considering a ride from Winnipeg to Leech Lake (mid) Minnesota. It looks doable on the map - about 40 miles per day on the flat. It goes through the 'big bog'!

My concern is heat, bugs and traffic - in about that order. I've been to Winnipeg once in my life, about thirty years ago, so I have no frame of reference. I only want to do the ride if it would be fun. I'd appreciate any comments or advice about the proposed ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat you can train for-Bugs and keep your mouth closed and repellents work. Traffic and it will always be there but respect it.

So how far- how many days travelling- will it be supported or will you be camping?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be doable, but their would be some challenges. Are you camping or credit card touring? Will you have vehicle support?

It is only 300 miles, so distance should not be an issue. Fifty miles a day is reasonable. even if fully loaded. If you are not camping the distance between motels might take a little more planning. Heat, bugs, and traffic are always part of bike touring.

Sometimes there is also rain!

Last edited by Doug64; 01-27-13 at 09:21 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch View Post
    We have to be in Winnipeg on August 3, 2013. We have been invited to go fishing in Minnesota a week later. I am considering a ride from Winnipeg to Leech Lake (mid) Minnesota. It looks doable on the map - about 40 miles per day on the flat. It goes through the 'big bog'!

My concern is heat, bugs and traffic - in about that order. I've been to Winnipeg once in my life, about thirty years ago, so I have no frame of reference. I only want to do the ride if it would be fun. I'd appreciate any comments or advice about the proposed ride.
    You just joined us in September. Does that mean that you've been riding since September?

If you are a newbie rider, I would try doing 40-50 miles on a fully loaded tourer for a few consecutive days before trying it for real.
    ... I hate to admit it after riding for 2500 miles last year -- but if I could do it, it would be a stretch for me. When I get over 25 miles I start pushing...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go bugs, heat, traffic in that order for problems to consider. The mosquitoes can be dealt with, but you can get some pretty bad deer flys also.

mosquito.jpg
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. We're long time riders but not long time touring riders. We will be unsupported and planned on moteling it whenever possible. Total distance is about 300 miles and we have 6 or 7 days to do it.

Previous experience has mostly been riding mountain roads and trails. So we're used to heavy pedalling but usually in moderate temperatures with limited 'flying protein'.