Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need advice re: preventing theft

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 05:52 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

Specifically....I keep our bicycles in our garage with my Ducati and lots of power equipment. It is an out-building not attached to the house. We keep it locked and there's a motion detector outside light but what I really want is one of those alarms that sounds a chime in the house when someone comes up the drive. Has anyone had experiences with them? Any preferred brands?
Old 01-27-13, 05:56 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Dog.
Old 01-27-13, 06:32 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have to agree about the dog but my bike shed has two alarms. One motion sensor for inside the shed and another on the door. Either could have extra wire run up to the house to a klaxon or other device.

One of my neighbours has Floodlights with a PIR (Proximity sensor) around his garden and front door that are linked to his house alarm. Something sets off the lights and he hears a buzzer going off.. But no need for the Buzzer- When illuminated- he only has to look out the window. And the strength of his lights- he will see it from the next street.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-27-13, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Dog.
Two.
Old 01-27-13, 07:16 AM

Does anyone have experience with those systems that set off an alarm inside the house? That's what I'm really looking for.
Old 01-27-13, 07:27 AM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's an idea which might dissuade any would-be thief Mechanic

- Wil
Old 01-27-13, 07:28 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Have you tried some of the local alarm companies? With the larger, national brand companies, their primary goal is to get you to sign up for their monitoring service, but some of the smaller mom & pop companies may have alarms and/or monitors to sell that you can install yourself or they may know where to find what you are looking for.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-27-13, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by John_V
Have you tried some of the local alarm companies? With the larger, national brand companies, their primary goal is to get you to sign up for their monitoring service, but some of the smaller mom & pop companies may have alarms and/or monitors to sell that you can install yourself or they may know where to find what you are looking for.
That's my next stop I guess. My son just bought a system for his entire house. I will be talking to him today. Thanks.
Old 01-27-13, 07:57 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Specifically....I keep our bicycles in our garage with my Ducati and lots of power equipment.
As I was told by my buddy with his new Ducati when we rode out to Death Valley a couple weeks ago; "How do you know someone owns a Ducati? They tell you?..."
Old 01-27-13, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by con
As I was told by my buddy with his new Ducati when we rode out to Death Valley a couple weeks ago; "How do you know someone owns a Ducati? They tell you?..."
Always. It comes with the manual. OTOH have you ever met a Harley guy?
Old 01-27-13, 08:35 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One question: Does the shed have power? That opens up a lot of doors.

On the technical side, there's a ton of stuff on the surveillance side. But I have not seen a lot on the (remote) alarm side. The alarm companies will send an alarm to their monitoring station or to the police. But it sounds like you are looking for an alarm that will sound in your house?

That should be easily do-able with wireless -- just as surveillance is. But I have not seen any of those systems.

Perhaps a combination would work for you:
-- motion detector triggered lights
-- a mechanical style alarm on the door that sounds a loud bell.
-- surveillance cameras (or even a dummy)

And, best of all: a "Protected By" sign from a security company.

professional burglars will get in no matter what you do. For them, security through obscurity works best. (If they don't think there is a reward for their efforts, they will move on). So, for them, don't let them know (or think) there is something valuable in there...

It is the local amateurs that do most of the break-ins and, for those, you mostly need to scare them off. Typically, they're just looking for a few quick, easy dollars. So, they will go after the easiest and safest target. Lights, camera and sound work well.
Old 01-27-13, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One question: Does the shed have power? That opens up a lot of doors.

On the technical side, there's a ton of stuff on the surveillance side. But I have not seen a lot on the (remote) alarm side. The alarm companies will send an alarm to their monitoring station or to the police. But it sounds like you are looking for an alarm that will sound in your house?

That should be easily do-able with wireless -- just as surveillance is. But I have not seen any of those systems.

Perhaps a combination would work for you:
-- motion detector triggered lights
-- a mechanical style alarm on the door that sounds a loud bell.
-- surveillance cameras (or even a dummy)

And, best of all: a "Protected By" sign from a security company.

professional burglars will get in no matter what you do. For them, security through obscurity works best. (If they don't think there is a reward for their efforts, they will move on). So, for them, don't let them know (or think) there is something valuable in there...

It is the local amateurs that do most of the break-ins and, for those, you mostly need to scare them off. Typically, they're just looking for a few quick, easy dollars. So, they will go after the easiest and safest target. Lights, camera and sound work well.

I think Radio Shack has DIY security things. Maybe check with them.
Old 01-27-13, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If you use an exterior proximity alarm pay careful attention to the setup and tuning. The other day I was waking down the sidewalk and set off on off those alarms. It was aimed to pick up activity all the way out to the curb. I also had a friend that gave up after he found out his yard was a highway for the deer to the neighbors apple tree.
Old 01-27-13, 09:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeL8a-kWjo

Or, better yet;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ttSwYNspw

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 01-27-13 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 09:50 AM

Wonder if there are any surplus drones laying around. They're probably not considered "assault" rifles.
Old 01-27-13, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by con
I give. I goggled that and couldn't find the answer. I suspect it's similar to "What's the hardest thing about training for a triathlon?"

However, I did find some great Ducati pron:

Old 01-27-13, 10:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by con
Hey, I resemble that remark! I also have three mid-1960s singles.
Old 01-27-13, 10:32 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I have had alarm systems in my houses since 1986, in La Jolla, DC, LA and now the bay area. Most systems come with central station monitoring with a monthly fee. Equipment is sold as a package with the service and the service can be simple monitoring where the police are dispatched to have its own security team roaming in cars. And most insurance companies offer discounts for having a system with central station monitoring. The systems can cover out buildings.

Burglaries are crimes of opportunity. The bad guys like the low hanging fruit and once a central station system is installed and they know the police are coming, it moves that property to a higher risk opportunity for them. This is according to the police after I had a couple of burglaries before I purchased alarms systems.

Comcast has a deal right now for $X per month that includes equipment and central station monitoring. With Comcast, it is possible to have closed circuit video cameras that you can see remotely and or turn on your system remotely and check status.

My recommendation is to call a few security suppliers and discuss your needs with them.
Old 01-27-13, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
My garage is such a mess it takes me half and hour to extract a bike from it. A burglar would leave in tears of frustration.
Old 01-27-13, 11:11 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Despite what the industry wants you to think, alarms don't provide security. They provide notification.

Alarms are good only for limiting the amount of time the thief has to grab stuff and run or ride it away. So lock the bikes inside the locked, alarmed outbuilding.

A buddy of mine is an electrician. Copper thieves love electricians and plumbers. His detached garage--no windows, one steel overhead door--gets hit for copper wire. Two dogs, hardwired alarm to the house--this does not deter thieves. Only locking up the wire within the garage has kept it there.

Similarly, at the last apartment I lived in, I was hit for a bike from my locked storage locker, in the locked basement, of the locked building. I neglected to lock the bike. My bikes are currently locked inside my locked apartment, inside a locked building.

Remember, alarms only tell you if someone is already stealing things from you. They don't add security, they provide notification.

Security comes from locks. Lock your bikes inside your locked and alarmed outbuilding, and they'll still be there when you, the "security" company or the police arrive.

Last edited by tsl; 01-27-13 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 07:36 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Bruce,
I have a whole house system, our garage is attached, all windows and the doors are equipped with switches and there are motion detectors in the great room as well as smoke detectors in each bed room, the great room, Monica's office and the kitchen. The alarm's sound would wake the dead as it has our neighbours when I have opened a door in the morning going to work without disarming the system. We have a lot of people in our area that just put an alarm company's sign out to "scare" away the bad guys.

What is wrong with telling someone you are a Duck rider? Those Italian beauties are high on my lust after list, an architect we work with frequently had a 996 and it is so sweet looking and sleek. I'd go with a Ducati in a heart beat if it was financially responsible (save me the financial responsibility flames, please.)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-28-13 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 11:01 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Many of the new home protection systems are wireless and you can get sensors for the door that says, "Garage door" if someone opens it. I only have one that says, Bing Bong...Front Door. Or Bing Bong, Back door. Or Bing Bong front porch, Bing Bong back porch. I have been thinking about adding the Shed. I would think if you have movement detectors they could program them to say Driveway or garage when the light comes on. I do know they can add cameras that you can view on your computer or Cell phone. inside or outside.

By the way, the bing bong part works even if the alarm is off. You can manually turn it off but by default it is on and talkes to you. At night set the alarm and the screech will almost make your ears bleed, but has a one minute delay so it starts beeping if one of the switches is tripped after it is set. Break a window and there is no delay and it will require a password to shut it off.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 01-27-13 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
My garage is such a mess it takes me half and hour to extract a bike from it. A burglar would leave in tears of frustration.
+1
My wife knows I'm going for a ride when she hears crashing and cursing coming from the garage.
Old 01-28-13, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Does anyone have experience with those systems that set off an alarm inside the house? That's what I'm really looking for.
My parents have used one for the last two years (sorry I don't know the brand). While they do alert you to the presence of something, you don't know if the something is a person, dog, cat or something else until you visually confirm. This is the reason my parents have stopped using theirs. They got frustrated with hearing the warning signal only to find that it was a small critter setting it off.

While you haven't asked for this advice, I share it in the hopes it will be helpful. I too keep my bikes in a locked place with an internal motion detection system. However, I have two others things going on that allow me to sleep peacefully. One, each bike has a u-lock going through the rear wheel and frame and a able lock attached to the u-lock going through the front wheel. Two, I've a very good home owner's insurance policy the explicitly covers the bikes too.
Old 01-28-13, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88
My parents have used one for the last two years (sorry I don't know the brand). While they do alert you to the presence of something, you don't know if the something is a person, dog, cat or something else until you visually confirm. This is the reason my parents have stopped using theirs. They got frustrated with hearing the warning signal only to find that it was a small critter setting it off. .
I was wondering about the small critter issue. That would drive me nuts. Thanks for the first hand advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.