Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do I really need a biking jersey?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 01:00 PM

Bikes: KHS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a comfortable, close fitting running shirt that I wear when I'm biking. I don't feel the need to look cool and elite. Is there any benefit to getting a biking jersey? Comfort? Better aerodynamics? Sweat wicking?
Old 01-30-13, 01:16 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If your running shirt has a wicking fabric, you're good.
Old 01-30-13, 01:19 PM
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the spiffy pockets in the back are kind of handy, but as long as what you wear helps keep you warm / cool / dry or whatever you're good to go.
I do like having something that zips down for those really warm days.
Old 01-30-13, 02:11 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a whole closet full of cycling jersies - in fact I've had to give some away too make room and yet the tops I now prefer I bought at Target and J C Pennys - simple wicking work out tops... very comfortable and very cheap. I admit don't need the rear pocket because I alway ride using a Camelbak or a Bento Bag.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 01-30-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 02:46 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Naw, you don't really NEED a cycling jersey. I would say you need cycling-specific shorts, shoes, and maybe even gloves before you need a jersey (you can make up your own mind about helmets, if you live in a jurisdiction that doesn't require them).

But a cycling jersey does have certain advantages/useful features:
- back pockets that you can access while you're moving, and that will hold stuff without the jersey sagging,
- cut close enough that it doesn't catch a lot of air or flap around too much in the wind,
- the best jerseys have a full zipper so you can unzip completely on hot days/climbs, or you are able to remove the jersey completely without having to empty the back pockets,
- recognition value. Shows you are a member of a club, or have achieved a particular status (e.g., California Triple Crown, or National Champion, or done a particular big ride)

People who have been cycling for years will have a closet full of jerseys. Although they don't contribute to comfort as much as shorts or shoes, jerseys are what you usually keep long after the shorts and shoes have worn out and been chucked.

If you don't feel the need for a cycling jersey, don't even bother. Life is too short to be cycling in ugly or mundane jerseys you don't even care about. But at some point, you will find yourself attracted to a specific jersey for some reason, whether it's because you've joined a club, or done a ride, or whatever. That's when you buy the jersey.

Luis
Old 01-30-13, 02:59 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Pockets is the only real reason for me. And there are lots of ways around that. A lot of my rides are in street clothes.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-30-13, 03:02 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I like my cycling jerseys for the pockets and the sweat wicking material. They also tend to be cut a little longer in the back so you don't show plumbers crack as you ride. I also have a few of the wicking shirts from the sporting goods dept. I don't like riding in a cotton t shirt myself. I find it's like wearing a sponge in warm weather. Others do prefer a cotton T shirt.

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Pockets is the only real reason for me. And there are lots of ways around that. A lot of my rides are in street clothes.
Like Doohickie.

If you don't care about the pockets or the styling, the wicking shirts are fine. If you don't care about the material, then plain old t shirts work just great.
Old 01-30-13, 03:03 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
+1

What he said. I cycled for years with T-shirts and short pants, and was perfectly OK with it. Now, I have a closet full of them. The reason?

1. I can't resist jerseys offered only to those who finish epic rides (Deathride, Terrible Two, Alta Alpina, etc.).
2. The damn things don't wear out.

Old 01-30-13, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
They also tend to be cut a little longer in the back so you don't show plumbers crack as you ride.
The longer cut in back isn't just for covering up the plumbers crack, it also keeps you lower back covered on cold\cool days. Cycling jackets do the same thing. Having cold air on your lower back will get real uncomfortable real quick.
But in the end, wear what ever you like.
Old 01-30-13, 03:30 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's more about the Look .. got all the rest of the racer bike spandex kit? its the last part ..

A wicking synthetic Polo shirt is my new favorite if and when it ever gets hot enough to be down to one layer

flip the collar up to keep the Sun off your neck..
Old 01-30-13, 04:01 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
The longer cut in back isn't just for covering up the plumbers crack, it also keeps you lower back covered on cold\cool days. Cycling jackets do the same thing. Having cold air on your lower back will get real uncomfortable real quick.
But in the end, wear what ever you like.
Keeping the lower back covered is also nice for preventing that odd sunburn line between the shorts and the shirt.
Old 01-30-13, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
No, but.

Those pockets sure come in handy. Jerseys don't have to be expensive or part of a "kit". they can be pretty plain and fully functional. I usually wear a plain white one in the summer, mainly for visibility, sun protection, and coolness (not looking cool, but to beat the heat). My wind jacket, GPS, arm warmers, hat, assorted snacks and misc end up in the pockets. anything I want to get at while I'm moving. I have several jerseys and my goal is to wear them all out! Nice jerseys can be found on sale costing about the same as a high priced T-shirt. However, I do ride a lot on long warm trips wearing just a wicking or cotton T-shirt depending on the humidity.

In cooler weather a long sleeved heavier jersey is comfortable. The pockets are still full

Last edited by Doug64; 01-30-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Naw, you don't really NEED a cycling jersey. I would say you need cycling-specific shorts, shoes, and maybe even gloves before you need a jersey (you can make up your own mind about helmets, if you live in a jurisdiction that doesn't require them).

But a cycling jersey does have certain advantages/useful features:
- back pockets that you can access while you're moving, and that will hold stuff without the jersey sagging,
- cut close enough that it doesn't catch a lot of air or flap around too much in the wind,
- the best jerseys have a full zipper so you can unzip completely on hot days/climbs, or you are able to remove the jersey completely without having to empty the back pockets,
- recognition value. Shows you are a member of a club, or have achieved a particular status (e.g., California Triple Crown, or National Champion, or done a particular big ride)

People who have been cycling for years will have a closet full of jerseys. Although they don't contribute to comfort as much as shorts or shoes, jerseys are what you usually keep long after the shorts and shoes have worn out and been chucked.

If you don't feel the need for a cycling jersey, don't even bother. Life is too short to be cycling in ugly or mundane jerseys you don't even care about. But at some point, you will find yourself attracted to a specific jersey for some reason, whether it's because you've joined a club, or done a ride, or whatever. That's when you buy the jersey.

Luis
Trust this man.
Old 01-30-13, 05:00 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
What everybody else said.

But bike jerseys can be fun. I love my Barloworld team jersey. Bike tshirts are also fun. I started a half hour conversation with a total stranger at an airport because I asked him about his Ocean 100 ride shirt. We almost became best friends.

Old 01-30-13, 05:44 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by b2run
I have a comfortable, close fitting running shirt that I wear when I'm biking. I don't feel the need to look cool and elite. Is there any benefit to getting a biking jersey? Comfort? Better aerodynamics? Sweat wicking?

Short answer, no. Any sport shirt you buy these days is made with good moisture wicking material. Since gas reached $2 permanently and I started riding more for transportation, I started using golf and tennis shirts more often because they look better when I get where I am going. They wick moisture as well and the aerodynamics of a skin tight shirt are just plain over rated if you don't race.

Marc
Old 01-30-13, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Most of mine, too. I don't think I've worn a real, cycling-specific jersey in eight or 10 years. Too much like putting on pads to play catch with your kids in the park.
As a side benefit, I think drivers are more courteous and give me more room when I'm wearing a t-shirt or something like that. We have a lot of testosterone-crazed wannabe cyclists here, and drivers react negatively to them. When they see somebody just pedaling along like they're out for a ride, they cut more slack.
Old 01-30-13, 06:03 PM

Bikes: KHS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of replies saying they like the bike jerseys for the pockets. What do you put in them?

(Gollum voice: What does it put in its pocketses?)
Old 01-30-13, 06:04 PM
"The Veiled Male"

Bikes: Biria

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No
Old 01-30-13, 06:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must have jersey for pockets. I carry food, tubes, chapstick, lock, glasses case, even leg wamers and sometimes cycling raincoat if weather changes during ride. One of the chief advantages is that you have access to the stuff in the pockets while riding. I have been amazed at the amount of stuff I can carry in the three pockets.
Old 01-30-13, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I only have one jersey and otherwise ride in cotton t-shirts. Which I seem to find more comfortable than the rest of the world does. But the jersey is nice for the pockets.
Old 01-30-13, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My problem with Cycling Jerseys is the fit. I'm in my 70's and really don't need to show off my svelte figure. I love some of the graphic designs they have, and the cool colors, but there is something about an old-age bulge that detracts from them. I'm still wearing loose fitting t-shirts, some of which are moisture wicking.
Old 01-30-13, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a body that looks terrible in anything close fitting, and me in a biking jersey is an oxymoron.
My new, favorite fabric is merino wool. It is available in various weights (thicknesses) and is soft, not itchy like regular wool. It has good wicking properties, and remains warmish when wet. I would not buy merino wool shorts or tights because it does not stand up well to friction so the seats will wear out.
Old 01-30-13, 07:19 PM
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta love the rear pockets, I carry my cellphone ,Ipod ,food ,spare tube and tire irons , and anything else I may need for the ride.
Old 01-30-13, 07:54 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Those rear pockets suck if you put stuff in them and ride a recumbent. (You know, leaning against the seat back)
I have one cycling jersey and lots and lots of wicking poly shirts.
Tried a wicking poly polo shirt once but the collar flapped in the breeze.
Wore cotton tees for a long time - wicking poly is so much better most of the time.
Old 01-30-13, 08:03 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
No, a biking jersey is not necessary, but they're really nice. For the pockets and longer tail if nothing else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.