Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Ripped Off!!!

My Bikes
    Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ripped Off!!!

I raced last night (afternoon 6.30/7.30 crit) and was soundly beaten by two guys (triathletes) who I ride with in training who are good strong young riders.
    Problem is one has never raced at my club so he was allowed to 'go around' in my (E) grade.
    He won as I new he would and the other came second as I new he would both by a street.
    I'm dark on both of them as I feel they took an unfair advantage.

I know it's not for a sheep station (cattle ranch) but I've worked hard in a grade where I've improved to the point that I can now contest the sprint with genuine like graded participants and then to get ripped off by these impostors has left a sour taste.
    Am I being too competitive?

I can't wait till I see them next Saturday at training, I'll give them a good serve.
    Bern

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they win a few times, they'll be advanced to a higher class, right?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We call it pot hunting in the UK. They will get put up a grade eventually, and hopefully they will pay for it. I got called a pot hunter about 10 years ago. Small club, and the normal classes, but vets started at 35, super vets at 45. I was 50 so in the supervets. At the start the organisors apoligised and asked me to go in the vet class as I was the only Supervet. 12 of us started in the vet class and away we went for 20 miles off road. Finished the ride and went to the presentation, and they called out the vet winner, then they called me up for 2nd. I had achieved something that I had not dreamed of and got a high place in the younger group. Hold on though, NO third place awarded. Only 2 of us finished. The others had dropped out or had mechanicals.

Next meeting I went to, and I got put into the Intermediate group instead of Novice in my age group, as I had done so well at the previous regional race. When I protested, I got called the pot hunter. They soon realised how slow I was when I finished well down the age group that also included the novices.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    We call it pot hunting in the UK. They will get put up a grade eventually, and hopefully they will pay for it. I got called a pot hunter about 10 years ago. Small club, and the normal classes, but vets started at 35, super vets at 45. I was 50 so in the supervets. At the start the organisors apoligised and asked me to go in the vet class as I was the only Supervet. 12 of us started in the vet class and away we went for 20 miles off road. Finished the ride and went to the presentation, and they called out the vet winner, then they called me up for 2nd. I had achieved something that I had not dreamed of and got a high place in the younger group. Hold on though, NO third place awarded. Only 2 of us finished. The others had dropped out or had mechanicals.

Next meeting I went to, and I got put into the Intermediate group instead of Novice in my age group, as I had done so well at the previous regional race. When I protested, I got called the pot hunter. They soon realised how slow I was when I finished well down the age group that also included the novices.
    Now that's funny.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they will be up-graded although the guy who came second had already been promoted to 'D' grade but when he blew up and dropped out not being able to endure to the higher pace level there, he was allowed to return to 'E' grade while he got himself sorted.

It's all a mess and regardless of the outcome I believe they have ripped off the genuine regulars.

On a separate issue, we had a strange occurrence in the finish straight where we got tangled up with a higher grade. They were coasting along in their 2nd last lap expecting to get the bell as they crossed the finish, we were finishing. To sprint meant we would have to pass the higher grade.
    In light of the fact that the lower grades are not allowed to 'draft' off higher grades and are expected to leave a 20m gap to the last rider of a higher grade, I'm a tad perplexed as to what action should have taken in those circumstances. It seems ridiculous to just sit back and coast over the line at normal riding pace but to contest a sprint finish would/did put you in the middle of the higher grade?????
    When an official was questioned post race he just shrugged his shoulders.
    Any thoughts?
    Bern
    The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berny
    To sprint meant we would have to pass the higher grade.
    In light of the fact that the lower grades are not allowed to 'draft' off higher grades and are expected to leave a 20m gap to the last rider of a higher grade, I'm a tad perplexed as to what action should have taken in those circumstances. It seems ridiculous to just sit back and coast over the line at normal riding pace but to contest a sprint finish would/did put you in the middle of the higher grade?????
    When an official was questioned post race he just shrugged his shoulders.
    Any thoughts?
    Bern
    I would have thought that as you were accelerating and catching the higher grade riders, and hopefully pass them, it would have been obvious to the officials that you were not trying to take an illegal advantage. Just because the riders in front are taking it easy, Should not mean that you should jeopadise your chance of a better time. It could also be contested that the higher grade riders were going so slow, that it could have appeared that they had a problem that meant that they were going to pull out at the bell and not do the last lap.

I know there are rules in racing and they must not be broken, but as I found out when I was racing, They can be bent a bit.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a racer, and at my age I probably never will be if I havent started by now. All those nuances elude me. It's interesting to me that a noob shows up and beats you, then is considered a gold digger. My guess is, with no history they wouldn't have let him into a higher class anyway. To me, I wouldn't blame the noob, I'd blame ME for not training enough.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    I've never been a racer, and at my age I probably never will be if I havent started by now. All those nuances elude me. It's interesting to me that a noob shows up and beats you, then is considered a gold digger. My guess is, with no history they wouldn't have let him into a higher class anyway. To me, I wouldn't blame the noob, I'd blame ME for not training enough.
    The 'noob' is well known to me and would be max. 35y's old, possibly younger. He's an experienced triathlete/ironman. I'm 63! It should have been obvious to him that given he is a way better rider than I am (we train together some Saturdays), he should have either not contested the finish whilst finding out just how his ability stacked up in E grade or, should have asked to 'go around' in D or C to find his feet.

Those catching the higher grade situations seem to happen more frequently than I would have thought and often some lower graders get a tow as they get passed (not legal) but I guess I'll just have to join the action and do whatever's necessary. Not happy about it though. Maybe there's an answer in continued lobbying of the officials though I don't want to appear to be a troublemaker.
    The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.