Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycle Oregon-Who is going?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 04:00 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I had put on my calendar that registration for Cycle Oregon opened up today so I registered without even looking at the route or details. I haven't even discussed it with the wife so I hope she doesn't mind. Long story but I was thinking it filled up very quickly, I was tied up around the start of registration and just had time to jump online. There are some other local events I tried registering for at the start of registration and sold out within minutes.

Now that I've registered I looked at the website so I better understand all the details. I've heard it's a good week and from I've read it looks nice--not spectacular but nice. The route looks much tamer than what I've done on other tours........but that is what's on paper and you never know about wind, rain etc.

It is more expensive than what I've done on other tours but at least it includes meals. I have my on tent and gear but will need to fly out from the East Coast, and take bus transportation to and from the ride.

Somehow I bet I will be planning on the wife coming out with me and she doing her own thing while I'm riding......

Anyone looking to doing Cycle Oregon and/or has anyone done it before?
Old 02-06-13, 04:55 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Good choice!

I've done Cycle Oregon II, III, IX and X. They were all fab, but I'd say that Cycle Oregon II was the best. Portland to Ashland ... FTW.

It's also the first tour I ever did ... I was hopelessly hooked after that. Like an effin flounder.

Old 02-07-13, 05:09 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Rideidaho.org too. I've done that twice, and it's a real good event. The last time I rode the ride was in the Sawtooths. Beautiful country.
Old 02-07-13, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Did it twice about 10 years ago. I was amazed by how well all the logistics were worked out...the entertainment every night, etc... awesome.
Old 02-07-13, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't do organized tours; my wife and I do ours in an unorganized fashion. We rode most of the roads on this year's route back in the late '80s. It's flat, but you can see some hills. The wind can be quite strong and is generally out of the north, so the first few days should have net tailwinds. Rain would be surprising, but not impossible.

Cycle Oregon has gone close to where I live several times in the past few years and I have encountered the ride while out joy-riding. It appears to be very well supported and everyone seems to be having a great time. On the down side, most of the riders don't have a lot of miles in the saddle, so be wary as they perform some "interesting" maneuvers. Also, as in all group settings, mind your hygiene. Norovirus outbreaks are not unheard of on CO.
Old 02-09-13, 01:13 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...le-Oregon-2013

and

https://forum.cycleoregon.com/