Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of us ARE there, really?

When I look at the number of people viewing the forums here and on Road Bike Review at a given time, there may be 150 in Road Cycling here, 250-300 on RBR--and only three or four on this 50+ board. Doesn't seem like older riders are rare, though. I just turned 60, and nearly all the guys I ride with, and a lot of the people I see on the road, are 50 or over. I live near Reno, Nev., and gray hair probably makes up 20 percent of the field at local events. The ex-joggers alone, people who started riding because their knees hurt, are a pretty sizable contingent. Are geezers rare in other parts of the country, or what?

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    When I look at the number of people viewing the forums here and on Road Bike Review at a given time, there may be 150 in Road Cycling here, 250-300 on RBR--and only three or four on this 50+ board. Doesn't seem like older riders are rare, though. I just turned 60, and nearly all the guys I ride with, and a lot of the people I see on the road, are 50 or over. I live near Reno, Nev., and gray hair probably makes up 20 percent of the field at local events. The ex-joggers alone, people who started riding because their knees hurt, are a pretty sizable contingent. Are geezers rare in other parts of the country, or what?
    They sure aren't rare in St. Petersburg, FL - some of the strongest riders are 60 plus, including one ex Olympian and 10 time national (open) champion. We also have a world Masters sprint champion, and many very successful racers who are 60 plus. Another just brought home a handful of medals from the Pan Pacific games in Australia. When the fast rides are called, they are heavily represented by the "senior" contingent. For the youngsters - if you don't want to be dropped by people old enough to be your father or grandfather, don't show up on our rides!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

jfz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case I first look at the commuter then mechanic board, if there is any time left I check the over 50 board. I see a large number of over 50 bike riders in the parks, my neighborhood and commuting.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of us have multiple interests. I spend more time on the touring board than on 50+ because I find more threads there that interest me.
    Ken

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, I always read the commuter, classic/vintage & road bike boards & only occaisionally this one. I'm almost 65 & among the regular commuters at work, we outnumber the young guys.
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to hit the "View New Posts" link. This takes me all over the place. I see a thread title which looks interesting, I check it out. Fewer of them are 50+ so I come here less often. Glad we have it though.
    Just Peddlin' Around

Fortunatissimo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm retired and ride a lot during the week, I see a lot of older riders. However, why aren't we older guys more friendly? There are several younger guys with whom I ride a bit, but most of the older guys tend to give the cold shoulder. The local club rides during the week are mostly 50+ folks, but they are far too "clubby." They've ridden with each other for a long time and are not very open to outsiders. I like riding with younger guys who don't work very much--I like the carefree attitude. Reminds me of the folks I meet surfing. Why do you think that younger folks are more open to us than our peeer group?
    How is it that we have let the people who do not believe in the public good be in charge of the public good?

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Figaro
    Since I'm retired and ride a lot during the week, I see a lot of older riders. However, why aren't we older guys more friendly? There are several younger guys with whom I ride a bit, but most of the older guys tend to give the cold shoulder. The local club rides during the week are mostly 50+ folks, but they are far too "clubby." They've ridden with each other for a long time and are not very open to outsiders. I like riding with younger guys who don't work very much--I like the carefree attitude. Reminds me of the folks I meet surfing. Why do you think that younger folks are more open to us than our peeer group?
    Grumpy old men?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe because web surfing skews younger?

Fortunatissimo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster
    Maybe because web surfing skews younger?
    No! Not web surfing: the real thing, surfing waves. You know, the ocean, dude.
    How is it that we have let the people who do not believe in the public good be in charge of the public good?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm friendly - and I meet a lot of older guys who are very friendly. I haven't noticed this phenomenon around here!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in San Diego County, home of John Forester (74 years young), Gordy Shields (86 years young), and "Plutonium" Pete Penseyres (61 years young). I guess I'm just a kid!
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read this forum most days though I rarely post anything. I guess I’m not much of a talker. However, I have noticed that on several occasions when I posted a question, it was moved to another forum (usually the training/nutrition forum). Not to be pickey, but I was wanting input from 50+ people not the hammering 20 year olds.

I live in a small town in the south and find the younger riders to be much more friendly than the “grumpy old men.” In fact several 50+ year olds that belong to the same artist guild as I, will not ride with me because I wear ‘SPANDEX’. I just laugh and ask them if that’s why their bowl-legged and their wives are always flirting with me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dthoman
    I read this forum most days though I rarely post anything. I guess I’m not much of a talker. However, I have noticed that on several occasions when I posted a question, it was moved to another forum (usually the training/nutrition forum). Not to be pickey, but I was wanting input from 50+ people not the hammering 20 year olds.
    Constant, never-ending problem with moderators vs forum members. Eventually, you learn to put "I want 50+rs reaction" or something similar in your title and text.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velo Dog, I'm over 50 and a real enthusiast I suppose by definition. Retailing is far removed from my principal profession, but this past year, I couldn't help myself; I went crazy and opened a bicycle shop and bicycle poster gallery. My renewed passion for bicycling was fueled in discovering the practicality of folders and on doing a study of the history of the bicycle. Now I carry my folder with me just about everywhere.
    Celebrating Bicycling
    The Past, Present, and Future

http://www.sfbikes.com or http://www.getafolder.com/

My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 major forums I watch are fifty plus and commuting. I work all day on a computer and don't want spend any of my off time surfing. Maby we are in and out of the forum faster than others.
    I am interested in the activities of others my own age. The club I belong to probably averages close to 50. Those that attend meetings maby more. Most club rides I go on have 40 to 60 percent over 50. There are a lot of riders much older than I that are still going strong.
    Phil

My Bikes
    Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like most forums. I commute, road, tandem and cross. The MTB days are over since I left Sunland, Cal. To me each forum has its own attitude. The 50+ is okay with me.
    Ride well and be kind to others
    OldShacker