Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 and still riding . . .

I went for a ride today and caught up to a guy at a traffic light. As we rode together at almost 20 mph I said to him he was pretty fit for a 70 yr old ( I was guessing ), to which he replies, "actually I'm 79". I can only dream of being healthy and fit enough to be riding a road bike at that age.

This being the 50+ forum, we should be celebrating those who are 70+ and still riding.

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many 50+ women are there still cycling?

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fastest guy by far in our group is almost 80 and the rest most of us guys and gals, in our late 60s to mid- 70s, are no slouches. We ride 75-100 miles per week at an average of 16+ mph.
    50 seems pretty young to us!

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a neighbor that was well into his 80s that rode all the time, and I vowed that I would to. Back in when the Coors Classic was going great guns, one year an 85 year old cyclist by he name of Fred Knodler road a demo 10 mile time trial. Just never give up!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious if they are all shapes and sizes. I'm thinking about the one guy I know that is riding well into his 70s, he's like 5'8', thin build, almost frail looking. Quite the hill climber. I don't think I've seen any big guys riding into their 70s..wonder if body type is a key factor.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    Curious if they are all shapes and sizes. I'm thinking about the one guy I know that is riding well into his 70s, he's like 5'8', thin build, almost frail looking. Quite the hill climber. I don't think I've seen any big guys riding into their 70s..wonder if body type is a key factor.
    We are all shapes and sizes, but the 79+ year-old is about 5'4" and not an ounce of fat on him. I am 72, slightly asthmatic, paroxysmal a-fib, 6ft and 215lbs and probably one of the most overweight. No-one is obese. We have a 6'2" 75 year-old weighing in at about 200lbs and he's a great climber.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tandem smiley..gif
    My wife, Kay, at age 78 still rides multi days a week with me on our custom tandem.
    Oh, I'm one of those 80 year olds that still rides 100+ miles a week between riding tandem and racing bke.
    Kay has covered 230,000+ miles with me on tandem bicycles since 1975 . . .
    We don't do the centuries or week-long tours any more . . . and 25+ mph is only on downhills!
    Growin' old is not for sissies!
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to above post:
    Kay is 78, 4'10" *tall* and weights 103 lbs.
    Rudy is 80, 5'7" and 135 lbs.
    And yes, we are both cancer survivors. Hey we've got stuff to do!
    Pedal on!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! It's great to hear about all the active cyclists 70+. Sounds like there's hope for me to be riding a long time yet.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    Well, there are no old, fat people. Really. Think about it.

Sequim, Washington on the Olympic Peninsula
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 009jim View Post

Tons in our area. Probably nearly as many as men, my wife being one of them.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Well, there are no old, fat people. Really. Think about it.
    What do you mean by "fat" and what age for "old?" Do you mean overweight, obese, or morbidly obese? I've seen a fair number of overweight older people(again, what age are we discussing, 70, 80, ?) and even obese.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 72 years, 5'8", and 178 pounds, my typical winter weight. It'll be warm enough in March for me to start exercising, using my treadmill, light weights and riding my bikes more. By June, I should be down to about 165 pounds, probably my ideal weight with my present musculature. Got my weight down to about 158 three years ago and I could tell I was losing muscle. My wife kept after me to add protein to my diet. I presently have two bikes, a tourer and a road bike. I ride the tourer more as the gearing is better suited to the hills in North Georgia where I live. My knees are pretty weak. I always ride alone. Have never attempted to meet other riders in this area except my LBS. Really enjoy riding. Hope you enjoy the pictures of my bikes, both high quality steel Panasonics, made in Japan, mid 80's.
    IMG_0887.jpgCopy of IMG_0864.jpgCopy (3) of IMG_0820.jpg

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the thread.

I ride a lot with one guy in his mid 60s and the other will be 75 in March. Both are very good and can pull around 20Mph average on a 100 mile ride. There are also a lot of other riders in our area in their 60s, 70s and 80s who ride anywhere from 50-125 miles a week.

I'm the young-un at 59 but I just started at age 57
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just a youngster, not quite 73 yet, but I have a friend who is 80 and runs errands on an old mountain bike with road tires, hauling a modified kiddie trailer converted to a cargo hauler. His usual daily route is 12 miles, with up to 90 pounds in the trailer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 009jim
    My wife at age 55 is not only still riding, but riding pretty darn well! Finishing the bike leg of Oregon's Blue Lake All Women Triathlon. There are several women in our bike club over 50 that ride a lot.

She also averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on a fully loaded touring bike when she was 53 years old, and...........................................................

Last edited by Doug64; 02-12-13 at 10:06 PM.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kehomer View Post
    I'm 72 years, 5'8", and 178 pounds, my typical winter weight. It'll be warm enough in March for me to start exercising, using my treadmill, light weights and riding my bikes more. By June, I should be down to about 165 pounds, probably my ideal weight with my present musculature. Got my weight down to about 158 three years ago and I could tell I was losing muscle. My wife kept after me to add protein to my diet. I presently have two bikes, a tourer and a road bike. I ride the tourer more as the gearing is better suited to the hills in North Georgia where I live. My knees are pretty weak. I always ride alone. Have never attempted to meet other riders in this area except my LBS. Really enjoy riding. Hope you enjoy the pictures of my bikes, both high quality steel Panasonics, made in Japan, mid 80's.
    IMG_0887.jpgCopy of IMG_0864.jpgCopy (3) of IMG_0820.jpg
    good looking bikes, always loved those Panasonics, inherited one from a friend but the Frame was too large for me. I lent it to a neighbor and he enjoyed it so much I never saw it again !
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Kehomer,
    Those stems look close to the limit of their height, you might want to check them for the limit line inscribed on them, if you haven't already done so. Nice bikes, steel Panasonics looking very well set up and maintained. I too ride alone much of the time, I haven't offended myself by saying anything harsh or critical so I avoid the hurt feelings....................... so far And, I usually like the route I chose, pretty well.

Bill
    Hi Bill. Thanks for the comments on my bikes, especially on the stems appearing overextended. The stems are both high quality Nitto Technomic, I think about 225mm. The racer's crouch doesn't appeal to me, too uncomfortable. The long stems allow me to better see the countryside and if there is a headwind, I use the drops.

Take care of yourself and keep riding.
    Last edited by kehomer; 03-03-13 at 08:05 AM.

tougher than a boiled owl droy45's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Father is 85 and my mother is 77 they still bike on their local MUP. Not very fast, maybe 5-6mph but they are thin and try to get excersize that way. You wouldn't see them on this forum though because they don't know how to use a computer nor do they have one. LOL. I don't know very many people that age that know how to use a computer anyway but alot if them cycle regularly.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droy45 View Post
    My Father is 85 and my mother is 77 they still bike on their local MUP. Not very fast, maybe 5-6mph but they are thin and try to get excersize that way. You wouldn't see them on this forum though because they don't know how to use a computer nor do they have one. LOL. I don't know very many people that age that know how to use a computer anyway but alot if them cycle regularly.
    Riding any kind of bike at that age is great. My parents are the same age, neither rides a bike anymore although the bikes are still hanging in the garage, but they both have their own computers because sharing one caused too many arguments.

My Bikes
    BH Crystal & hoping to get my own MTB soon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    Tons in our area. Probably nearly as many as men, my wife being one of them.
    I'm 52 and sadly around my area theres just not too many women riders, period. on our regular group rides, there'll be just 2-3 ladies and usually i'll be the only one in the 50+ range. from my observation there are more 50+ women runners than riders over here.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MUP where I ride is usually full of people in their 70's and 80's riding bikes on any given weekday. Many of them come from the retirement communities that are close by and are usually couples. There was a large group from Michigan, today, that ride there every Monday on their recumbents. I'm 66 1/2 and not exactly a slouch when it comes to speed. There is a lady in her mid 80's (rides a blue Cannondale road bike) that comes to the MUP on Thursday's and she passes me quite often when I'm going 18-20 mph on the loop.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    There is a lady in her mid 80's (rides a blue Cannondale road bike) that comes to the MUP on Thursday's and she passes me quite often when I'm going 18-20 mph on the loop.
    It's probably the fact that it's a Cannondale!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to report the death at 86 of my crazy bike riding client Bill Anderson Not only did he do these rides, he did them riding century days!. “The day before he died, I had called him and he was running up a hill.”

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/age-...bill-yuma.html

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yumadons View Post
    Sad to report the death at 86 of my crazy bike riding client Bill Anderson Not only did he do these rides, he did them riding century days!. “The day before he died, I had called him and he was running up a hill.”

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/age-...bill-yuma.html
    That's how to do it!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast