Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your best buys for the year???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-13, 05:06 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Couple of things I have spent a lot of time over the years with "Inferior" versions of bike accessories and in the last 6 months I have managed to upgrade these items. Took a bit of research and the "Good" items were not going to be cheap. First of all was a GPS for the bike. Garmin seemed to be the ones to go for but even the cheap ones were a bit beyond my reach financially but with a bit of waiting for the offers to come round and I finally bit the bullet and got the 500 with 30% off the retail price. It has proved to be reliable and accurate so at least I can find out why that particular section of the road was so easy- or so hard.

The other item I really wanted to get was a Video camera for the bike. I had a drift camera that was about adequate but it was not responsive enough for the varied sunlight that occurs on the roads round here. Video quality was OK but the real problem was wind and bike noise. Every video seemed to have an annoying rattle that increased with volume the harder I rode. Research told me that the GO PRO was the one to get but at double the price of the Drift- it was out of the question. However towards the end of last year the series 2 started to get a big price drop due to the 3 coming out and a bit of searching on E-Bay and I got the outdoor version at about 1/3rd off. The quality is superb with only a few annoying points that can be overcome and I now have to learn how to edit the videos to cut out the rubbish takes on the rides.

Now I am not one for technology and both these items require some "Skill" in setting up properly and using but I am getting acceptable results. I am finding out what I am doing wrong with them but I do need a bit more practice with them before I can say they are doing the job I want them to.

So what have you managed to "Acquire" in the last year or so that you ought to let others know about?

Spike Milligan
Old 02-23-13, 05:27 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I like a good gps as well. I purchased a Garmin 610 last year and it was a great watch for cycling and general wearing. However, like many others using them, I found the contacts on the back of the watch corroded. That lead to not able to charge. The end result was an expensive yet not usable gps. Around the same time Garmin came out with the Fenix. So I returned the 610 to REI and purchased the Fenix. Along with the watch I have the heart rate strap and the tempe. The Fenix is my every day wear watch at this point. It does a pretty good job as a wearable handheld gps. I have even loaded a few local bike trail geocaches complete with hints and logs. Haven't use it yet but plan on next week. One thing the 610 had over the Fenix is the number of data fields you can have on a data screen. The 610 allowed for 4 and the Fenix only 3. Oh well
Old 02-23-13, 07:24 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two of my best buys were Lake winter cycling boots (about $95 (half off) at Nashbar), and Craft Siberian lobster mitts--very warm, for $39.95. Both made cold weather riding much more tolerable.
Old 02-23-13, 07:29 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought my Dura Ace C24 wheelset for $550 (list $1400) with only 300 miles on them. The weight savings from the R10's made quite a difference on the hills.
Old 02-23-13, 07:38 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several good ones:

First was an IPhone 5. I got that because being way out on a trail, miles from the nearest landmark, I was worried that if something happened, I might be able to call EMS -- but I wouldn't be able to tell them where I was... Plus, after I got it, I found Strava which I really like...

Then in September I got a Trek DS 8.5 and loaded it with fenders, rack , trunk etc... I wanted it so I could ride through the winter -- and it has done a GREAT job of that...

And, this evening I just bought a 2008 Lemond Poprad Disk Cyclocross! I guess I can't really count this as a best buy yet as I have only done a short test to see if it could be fitted to me. The LBS is going to fix it up next week and fit it to me... But I am very excited!

105 drivetrain, BB7 mechanical disks, carbon fork and seat post. True Temper OX Platinum steel frame and a "Made in the USA" sticker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0231.jpg (100.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0235.jpg (99.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 02-23-13 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-23-13, 08:04 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano SH 315 shoes (47 EE). I'm looking for a back-up pair now as they fit like a fine glove.

Lizard Skin bar tape. Just the right tacky feel and padding. Love the stuff even if it is a pain to keep clean.
Old 02-23-13, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like Sidi shoes and picked up a couple of pair of the Nevada for $49 each from Performance Bike - plus I get 10% for the club and free shipping.
Old 02-23-13, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
My iPhone 5. I really don't need to use my Garmin 500 anymore. Takes decent photos, good map features, Strava is full featured. It does everything but pedals my bike.

Old 02-23-13, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Found an FSA SL-K Light Triple Crank Set to replace the compact double on my Volagi. These are not retailed in the US, but the seller was in France. Huge improvement for my particular riding style and terrain.
Old 02-23-13, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
BG fit for my Lynskey, shims for my aprè achillies surgery foot position.
Old 02-23-13, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My best buy was the $99 Nashbar touring frame. It has turned out to be an amazingly good frame for my daily commuter.
Old 02-24-13, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
700 LR Minimags JRN on 01/02/13 for $6.95 per 100. Second would be a 1973 gas pipe Gitane with lights/generator, rear rack, Hi Flange hubs, skewers, Mafac Racer brakes for $4.00.
Old 02-24-13, 04:27 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Tools!

The money I've spent on tools this year has been my best investment by far, and buying better quality tools makes every job so much easier. There's no job I need to go to the LBS for anymore.
Old 02-24-13, 08:31 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
My best buy was the $99 Nashbar touring frame. It has turned out to be an amazingly good frame for my daily commuter.
After discovering a crack in YellowBike's head tube (probably dating back to damage sustained when we were hit by that car in 2009), I too was in the market for a cheap frame. After reading of your experience with the Nashbike, and considering that, short of errant Pontiacs, I'd had good experience with a bottom-of-the-line bike, I went in search of one for myself.

I wanted to move over as much as possible from the old frame, so your Nashbike touring frame with its canti studs was out. I hunted high and low for something in aluminum, road geometry, with rack and fender mounts, which could fit said fenders over 25mm tires.

I found it in the UK at Ribble Cycles. Their Winter/Audax frame ticked off every box, and my timing was excellent. I hit it on one of their 10% off everything sales.

It tipped the scales at $136 for the frame, $115 for a Deda carbon fork with fender eyelets, and $23 for a Cane Creek headset, which Ribble kindly installed before shipment. Shipping from the UK was $80, but it arrived on the morning of the second day.

I took the frame to a friend who is a framebuilder. We measured it on the alignment table. In the main triangle, the head tube and seat tube were 0.001" (one one-thousandth of an inch) out of parallel. The bottom bracket is dead nuts to the head tube. Head tube to rear dropouts, it was a half-millimeter out of square, which he fixed with a couple of passes of a rat tail file through the replaceable drive-side dropout/RD hanger.

In short, we were both surprised and pleased with the level of precision in its construction. Additionally, the welds look nicer than those on my Treks, and the finish was also very high quality, with no noticeable flaws in the paint, clear coat, or decal placement. It came with everything too--all the screws, the bottom bracket cable guide, even the seatpost collar.

The build went just as perfectly.

After breakfast, I'll wrap the bars and it will get its inaugural spin, if the snow holds off. It gets its first commute tomorrow.

Last edited by tsl; 02-24-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-24-13, 09:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Bought a Garmin Nuwi 200, good for cars, biking, or walking . Enjoy it immensely. It has to go in for a battery modification now, though.
Old 02-24-13, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Vitus 979, Bridgestone MB-1, S-works Roubaix, Wabi Lightning SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park workstand. I like using it almost as much as I like riding.
Old 02-24-13, 10:14 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I got a pair of Shimano Mountain Bike shoes on sale from Bike Nashbar to use on my LWB bent. They were adv on sale for $38. So I called in to order a pair. I was told that they only had a few left, and only in size 8. No problem I said as I wear a size 8. The order was written up and the clerk said the price was $23. Happy camper here!!!!
Old 02-24-13, 10:33 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not sure if this is the best buy but it makes carrying my iPhone a lot easier and I can check data on my cycling app while riding. And I can listen to music while riding the Suncoast Trail (no cars to worry about ).
What am I talking about? The Topeak Ride Case.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-24-13, 11:12 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
After discovering a crack in YellowBike's head tube (probably dating back to damage sustained when we were hit by that car in 2009), I too was in the market for a cheap frame. After reading of your experience with the Nashbike, and considering that, short of errant Pontiacs, I'd had good experience with a bottom-of-the-line bike, I went in search of one for myself.

I wanted to move over as much as possible from the old frame, so your Nashbike touring frame with its canti studs was out. I hunted high and low for something in aluminum, road geometry, with rack and fender mounts, which could fit said fenders over 25mm tires.

I found it in the UK at Ribble Cycles. Their Winter/Audax frame ticked off every box, and my timing was excellent. I hit it on one of their 10% off everything sales.

It tipped the scales at $136 for the frame, $115 for a Deda carbon fork with fender eyelets, and $23 for a Cane Creek headset, which Ribble kindly installed before shipment. Shipping from the UK was $80, but it arrived on the morning of the second day.

I took the frame to a friend who is a framebuilder. We measured it on the alignment table. In the main triangle, the head tube and seat tube were 0.001" (one one-thousandth of an inch) out of parallel. The bottom bracket is dead nuts to the head tube. Head tube to rear dropouts, it was a half-millimeter out of square, which he fixed with a couple of passes of a rat tail file through the replaceable drive-side dropout/RD hanger.

In short, we were both surprised and pleased with the level of precision in its construction. Additionally, the welds look nicer than those on my Treks, and the finish was also very high quality, with no noticeable flaws in the paint, clear coat, or decal placement. It came with everything too--all the screws, the bottom bracket cable guide, even the seatpost collar.

The build went just as perfectly.

After breakfast, I'll wrap the bars and it will get its inaugural spin, if the snow holds off. It gets its first commute tomorrow.
You kept that quiet--Ride report and pics please.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-24-13, 12:48 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Too may to tell which is best but a few, I like 'em all!

Garmin Edge 500

garmin2 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Lezyne pump. Doesn't pump as high as I would like but it sure is purty!

pump by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Set of lights for each of us. USB charging and work very well!

CygoLite by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Couple of handbuilt front wheels. DA Fusion for Gina and Ultegra Fusion for me. My LBS owner buddy gave me good prices ordering the parts so it was cost effective to let him build them.

bikestuff1 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

GP4000s for $37 each on Probikekitdotcom. Half price of the LBS, great buy!.......... if you plan 10 days ahead (delivery)

GP4000 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Ultegra hubs $136 shipped at ribblebikesdotcom. The front alone is $74 and the rear $130 elsewhere

hubs by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Ionos helmet. Very comfortable and ventilated.

Also found these helmet cases at Sport Chalet. Reg price of $40 on sale for $19.99. Picked up 2 of them for that price. I had been looking for a helmet pod (also in pic) for 2 years but everyplace I tried to order, they were sold out. Actually ski helmet cases but work great with cycling helmets. Even have zipper compartments, something lacking on the cycling helmet pod.

helmetcase2 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

I bought 2 Go Pros. One GP2 and one GP 3 White series. GP2 has been flawless but the GP 3 has been disappointing. I'm getting intermittent pink video images and going through a process with GP now trying to get it resolved.

Sample of PINK IMAGES click link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSMaMftgsU

GoPro2&3 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

New shoes. Much better than the old model I was wearing

IMG_3094 by mrbeanz1, on Flickr

Of course the Clyde/Athena jerseys. Turned out to be pretty cool

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 02-24-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-24-13, 01:10 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
We like the pics of Gina.... start putting her in the fore front......LOL
Old 02-24-13, 01:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
We like the pics of Gina.... start putting her in the fore front......LOL
I would but she her accident record is not as clean as mine so if we're on the tandem, I get to drive.
Old 02-24-13, 01:46 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Not sure if this is the best buy but it makes carrying my iPhone a lot easier and I can check data on my cycling app while riding. And I can listen to music while riding the Suncoast Trail (no cars to worry about ).
What am I talking about? The Topeak Ride Case.
Hi Ron,
You and a few others have mentioned the iPhone 5. I too carry an iPhone 5. Great device but, I have a question for you guys. How do you keep it charged and dry for a longer trip? As I listed above I use an Oregon 550t which is waterproof and keep the iPhone in my saddle tool bag. I might be able to save the cost of upgrading my Oregon if I can find a good way to carry the iPhone, keep it dry, and charged.

Thanks for any ideas
Old 02-24-13, 02:02 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I was sorely tempted to get that too.

Instead, I ended up buying a new 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro frame from Nashbar for about $80, and built that up from (mostly) spare parts. That was probably my best buy of the year.

Old 02-24-13, 03:09 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Ultegra hubs $136 shipped at ribblebikesdotcom.
Um, that would be ribblecycles.co.uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.