User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oscars

So who's going to waste valuable lifetime time watching them and who is going to do something important like cutting your toenails or polishing the dork disc on the ride?

(Could some kind admin. person please fix my spelling mistake)
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 02-24-13 at 10:41 AM.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll probably watch an old episode of Midsomer Murders on Netflix or something good on Acorn or Amazon.
    I'll be cutting my toenails this afternoon.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have hours of NCIS tivo'd for such occasions. The one reason we might tune in is to see if Jennifer Lawrence wins anything. I've never met her, but my two oldest daughters were her camp counselors at Camp HiHo, and my son used to throw mud balls at her.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    So who's going to waste valuable lifetime time watching them and who is going to do something important like cutting your toenails or polishing the dork disc on the ride?

(Could some kind admin. person please fix my spelling mistake)

I go to the movies very often so I'm a fan of the Oscars. I do enjoy most of the production but don't really care who wins any of the awards.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .. those who derive a nice income from the Business, like , in LA,
    My Bar Buddy did the Stage Mother Thing for 10 years, there.

Still helps Keep the SAG card dues up for her Son.. occasional extra.

which is now merged with AFTRA.. $600 a year i'm told.

BTW I'm told in LA people sit through the end credits to spot family/ friend's names in the Crew.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 02-24-13 at 12:23 PM.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm blowing my TV time on the Daytona 500. I can't help myself, I'm a southern male born with the auto racing genetic defect.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily the TV coverage over here starts late at night when I will be tucked in my bed snoring my head off. Nothing worse that have a load of people that I do not know disturbing my sleep.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going out right now to get my cheese, crackers, grapes, and a nice bottle of red so I will be ready. Yes, I enjoy the Oscars and while I watch them, I am on Facebook with some of wickedly funny friends who watch. We keep a running commentary of the event and the celebrities. I find that very entertaining--as opposed to discussing toenails (bleeecch!).

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the Fifties + forum, we have no choice but to root for "The Life of Pie"!

A herd of stampeding crocodiles riding angry rhinoceros could not force me to watch any of these stupid award shows. Grammys, golden globes, people's choice, Oscars, academy awards, they all stinketh like three day old carcasses...

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching hollyweird is like watching a cesspool bubble.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    Why is that?
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    Why is that?
    Because many on this forum like pie, and there is a nominated movie entitled, "Life of Pi."
    I thought we'd root for "Silver haired-Linings Playbook."

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked today and confirmed that I have seen none of this year's nominated films. Mr. Out-of-Touch-with-Cinema. I'm sure that some of the winners - and losers, too - will wind up on our Netflix list. It's not that we don't watch movies, just not in a timely manner.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We rarely go to a movie. We wait until its on DVD. The last movie I remember us actually going to see (and paying top dollar to boot) was Cowboys and Aliens. We only went because some avid movie-going friends (they go every week) invited us. We thought we wasted our money on C&A so have declined their invitations since.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my neighbors has made the trip out to market her new designer Italian shoe line so will probably watch enough of it to be conversant. My daughter is a clothing designer so since I spent a wad of cash getting her an education in that field I also watch to see what ladies are wearing.

I've never seen a correlation between movies that win most of the awards and those I enjoy watching though. I guess I'm just not or never will be cultural??
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Because many on this forum like pie, and there is a nominated movie entitled, "Life of Pi."
    I thought we'd root for "Silver haired-Linings Playbook."
    Few on this forum get any of the Life of PI references. I didn't see the movie, I just read the book. The book was on paper. How totally old fashioned.

J Law watch reports two sightings so far. Everyone in Loovul is her best friend, especially now that she's rich and famous.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's one thing worse than this annual ego-fest merry-go-round for millionaires it's the way we in the UK actually give knighthoods and civic awards etc. to such people who are already famous, pampered and paid well for doing their job. There's a lot to be said for being a Republic

At least the Oscars provides harmless entertainment to millions.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post

A herd of stampeding crocodiles riding angry rhinoceros could not force me to watch any of these stupid award shows. Grammys, golden globes, people's choice, Oscars, academy awards, they all stinketh like three day old carcasses...
    I didn't watch it, but as a long-time fan of Alan Arkin and John Goodman, I'm glad Argo won as much as it did. I didn't watch - was home exhausted after four nights in a row of performing in Beethoven's 9th. It's not the signing that's so tiring, it's the sitting dead still on stage waiting for the last movement vainly trying not to sleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but watching Charlize Theron clutch onto Dustin Hoffman was much better than cleaning a dork disc, which I don't have anyway. My sister-in-law worked on the production of the show. Hence it was almost mandatory in my house. I understand not wanting to watch, but I don't understand needing to post about the dislike.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I'm sorry but watching Charlize Theron clutch onto Dustin Hoffman was much better than cleaning a dork disc, which I don't have anyway. My sister-in-law worked on the production of the show. Hence it was almost mandatory in my house. I understand not wanting to watch, but I don't understand needing to post about the dislike.
    It's to balance the threads about "You're not going to watch that stupid Superbowl, are you?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    It's to balance the threads about "You're not going to watch that stupid Superbowl, are you?"
    Are there threads like that, and what's a Superbowl? My dog thinks it's when his bowl is filled with more than just dog food.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like a salmon swimming upstream I'll admit that I watched, and enjoyed.

the 500 too!

It was cold and snowing/raining here most of the day.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the NFL

The Academy Awards have an extensive production value and a sizeable following. They have a 90-minute pre-game show that features: fashion, jewelry, hair and quite a bit of expert analysis.

My wife and daughters love the fashion portion.

For me, the Motion Pictures Academy and I have little in common. Their membership (in large part) do not value the things that I do, and their inside humor escapes me. The constant pushing of cultural norms and moral barriers...well...let's leave it at this:

I don't watch. I'm not condemning those that do, though. It's just entertainment, after all, just like the NFL.

Phil
    Last edited by Phil_gretz; 02-25-13 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand posting dislike over someone posting dislike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    The Academy Awards have an extensive production value and a sizeable following. They have a 90-minute pre-game show that features: fashion, jewelry, hair and quite a bit of expert analysis.

My wife and daughters love the fashion portion.

For me, the Motion Pictures Academy and I have little in common. Their membership (in large part) do not value the things that I do, and their inside humor escapes me. The constant pushing of cultural norms and moral barriers...well...let's leave it at this:

I don't watch. I'm not condemning those that do, though. It's just entertainment, after all, just like the NFL.

Phil
    There's an Ochocinco joke in there somewhere.

When the Lawrences headed out to La La Land, I thought it was tantamount to child abuse. After all this is the scenario that's been played over and over out there:

-the actress gets exposed to some of the most amoral money-hungry creeps in the universe.
    -if you strike it big, you get money thrown at you at a rate that far outstrips one's development of common sense.
    -your brain gets tossed in the Waring blender of Hollywood Groupthink and you lose the ability to think independantly.
    -because you live in a fantasy world, you become incapable of sustaining healthy long-term relationships.
    -you turn to drugs and alcohol for solice.
    -the tabloids, who made your life miserable in the first place, offer up touching tributes when you're found dead in a bathtub.

I honestly feel sorry for these people. I would not trade them for my career as a journeyman for nuthin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast