Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not Cyclist related - just old people related...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 12:27 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought I would post this as I found it so inspirational.

On Saturday I volunteered at an "Open Access" day patrolling a wilderness area. I was stationed at the top of a very long, steep climb. Sitting up there I noticed this little, tiny lady crest the top. I said to myself "good grief, quite a hike for her!" She was obviously in her 70's or 80's. Anyway a couple of hours later I was stationed several miles from that area and here comes that little lady again. I said to her "Didn't I see you earlier on top of Baker!?" She said yes. She explained she hiked the 5 mile Loop, noted it only took her an 1 1/2 and she still had plenty of daylight so she added another 3 mile Loop (note this climb is also quite steep and long) and was looking for more to do.

She was fascinating... she was 78 years old. She now lived alone as her husband was deceased and her sons grown up and moved on (one was a doctor the other an accountant). 2 years ago she had brain surgery to remove a tumor. She admits she is "hyper" and always has been. She doesn't have alot of friends because most can't keep up with her. In the last 5 years (despite the fact she has always been underweight) she developed Type 2 diabetes but as long as she keeps moving and active, the disabetes is controlled and she (best part for her) can eat whatever she wants.

Her philosophy: Live today... Live today to its fullest. Do whatever you want and not what people tell you - you can't. Keep moving "move or lose it" she said. Don't stop learning. At age 72, after her husband passed away, she went back to school and got a degree (she previously had an AA). Be mischevious and have fun. After she finishes working at the Second Harvest Food Bank (one of the places she volunteers) she goes to the movies and will see 2 - 3 movies for the price of one ("there is no one there and they are running the movies anyway, why not?").

Anyway she was quite the character and I hope to see her again... she is my idol. Sunday although I woke up sore from Saturday's hike I went out and challenged myself on a bike ride and did something I had been putting off as being too hard. That little old lady will always be in the back of my mind saying "go do it!"

By the way the ride wasn't that hard and I realize it was my anxiety keeping me from trying. Really need to get over that. The worse thing that can happen is that I fail but know what I need to do for next time.

Edited to add: Old Lady got me.... my boyfriend was hiking withme as well and we were walking back to the staging area with the Lady and she asked us if my boyfriend was my son... made the BF giggle and me depressed!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 03-04-13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 12:37 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Whatever she has within her, I want some of whatever it is. These types are my heroes in life, not the "stars and celebrities" that lead false lives. Thanks for the day brightener, Pam. Her story not what she said about you and your BF, not going to touch that one.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-04-13, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
How cool is she!?! And Pam, you're pretty cool to point her out to us! Guess I won't just lounge around this afternoon....gotta "move it or lose it"! Thanks!
Old 03-04-13, 12:59 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Pam! I want to be like her when I get to be an old man (well, old already, but older!).

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-04-13, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am constantly surprised at what old people can do. I thought I was doing well at being able to ride a bike at 66 and keep the 30 year olds in sight. The 30 year olds are complaining that I am not giving them enough rest at the top of the hills so "Will I slow down please" I know it is to make me feel good but I am improving this early in the year over last year.

But most of my exercise is down at the gym right now and I got annoyed when I went on a Wednesday morning and found the local OAP club were there. All these "Old" people and there were lots of them. Had to go on the treadmill which I hate as it was the only machine available. 30 minutes of fast walking and I had done 2 1/2 miles. Looked at the stats of the person next to me that had started at the same time and she had walked aswell. She explained she was just getting over a knee replacement so could not run but hoped to be fit enough for the London Marathon in about 6 weeks time. She had done 4 miles. 8 mph walking. I can't run that fast nowadays.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-04-13, 02:53 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
These types are my heroes in life, not the "stars and celebrities" that lead false lives.
Yup.

Inspirational story. Thanks for posting that.
Old 03-04-13, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice post, but no surprise.

When I'm not cycling, I'm climbing or hiking mountains. I'm often the youngest person on the hikes or climbs my mountain club puts together, and a LOT of the members are 70-plus and have no problem keeping up.

An example: I'll be doing an "extreme hike" in May. It's an event in which about 200 hikers do 42 miles along a very rocky, hilly trail, and I expect (hope) to finish it in around 12 hours. I did it in 13.5 the last time out - and was beaten by several 60+ hikers, and one 70+. (I wouldn't be surprised if Pam's little old lady was one of them )
Old 03-04-13, 06:41 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride I did Sunday is a steep climb up a mountain - I had been putting it off but decided to get out there and try it. The first mile is the worse (this is on my mountain bike) and I had to stop and catch a breather. Here comes this guy... we started the hill together but I got ahead of him but he was right behind me. Here I am on a bike and he was hiking with poles. Darn! I finally got out far enough to not worry about him catching me again if I stopped but I could always see him down the trail. The guy was moving. Had to be 70+ as well. I went further up the mountain (I did 14 miles, 2800' of climing) then he and did a longer Loop but passed him again on the way back. He did the Sycamore Loop - about 8 miles with a steep climb in about 3 hours. Not bad.

I wish I could do and I wish I could even hike 42 miles in a few days. That's amazing!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-04-13, 09:39 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some years ago my wife and I signed up for a walking holiday in the English Lake District with a local company. We were the only Americans, and the "youngsters", as we were only in our 40's. I'll say we weren't the slowest in the group, but I had to work pretty hard to stay in front of the little old lady with the cane Nothing like a nice ramble through the English countryside, along with the obligatory thermos of tea.
Old 03-04-13, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always love to see that. My father-in-law will be 85 in a couple of months. His wife of 53 years died two years ago, and he went into a down period. He'd been a runner in college (65 years ago!), and started walking, then jogging, to combat the depression. He does five miles on a hilly course most days and is taking a yoga class to maintain flexibility, and he's still improving at both.
Old 03-05-13, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Ever notice that with an active body there's almost always an active spirit?
Old 03-05-13, 05:00 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I thought I would post this as I found it so inspirational.
Reminds me of a hike my wife and I did many years ago. At the time we'd have been somewhere around 30 and at a beautiful vista we stopped to enjoy the views. We were soon joined by a couple who were, in their own words, "the graveyard side of 70". In due course they set off and we figured we'd soon catch up with them.

It's a bit embarrassing when you're struggling and still unable to make any headway compared to people old enough to be your grandparents.
Old 03-05-13, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Whatever she has within her, I want some of whatever it is. These types are my heroes in life, not the "stars and celebrities" that lead false lives. Thanks for the day brightener, Pam. Her story not what she said about you and your BF, not going to touch that one.

Bill
+1!

Best regards
Old 03-05-13, 08:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some people are blessed physically, I am one of them. I have never had an operation or even been in a hospital. I have everything I was born with plus 32 teeth. I turn 75 this year, and will put on my usual 2500 miles hopefully. Last year because of good weather early I got in 2700+.

The big thing here is keep doing what you can do. Once you give the excuse you probably better not do something because of age, you are starting your down hill run. If you set you will rust. I have seen this in my own father. He worked on the farm all his life. When he finally retired, he retired to his easy chair his paper and the TV. He rusted out and died in 3 years.

My goal is to be found setting dead at the age of 102 pulled off the bike path, setting there on my trike with a smile on my face!!!
Old 03-05-13, 11:15 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I think we need to take up a collection to buy Pamestique a camera. I'd love to see a pix of this lady. I'll bet she has character +.

Her philosophy was summed up pretty well by that famous Einstein quote:

"Live is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you have to keep moving."

In your education, your career, your relationships, and most importantly, your dreams ... keep moving.

Old 03-05-13, 12:01 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have a camera and I always carry it with me (and did that day)... I wish I had gotten a photo to post but I suspect I will run into her again and when I do I will ask for a photo... she probably won't mind posing with my "son"... I think she liked him!

Old 03-05-13, 12:05 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I know what you mean. I always feel hinky about taking pictures of people instead of things. It's rude to do so without asking them. And most people are self conscious and look different when they know they've got a camera pointing at them.

Old 03-05-13, 12:19 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I like this type of hero story. good stuff.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-05-13, 01:36 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good post P! Great story.
Old 03-05-13, 02:42 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Irene and Graice (probably around 78 years old) on the 2012 Henderson Chocolate Chase. My kinda heros as well. Pam, you got me thinking. Irene kept a 14-15 mph pace for the 30 mile section. She and her friend were great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Las Vegas-20120218-00178.jpg (97.0 KB, 10 views)

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 03-05-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 02:57 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly do a ride I have affectionately titled "The Geezer Ride". Next one is coming up March 16. My BF and I ride with his dad (age 76) and his "ladies" who range in age from 66 to 82. We are often joined by another of his friends who is 92 and his young 72 year old girlfriend! They ride a home made side by side recumbent. We don't go far (16 miles) or fast ( really slow I always bring my mountain bike so I can keep upright at 5 - 6 mph) but we go! My BF's dad is now using electric assist and he is always grousing at the women for riding slow. I constantly have to remind him they are under their own power thank you very much! My best friend and riding buddy's dad just turned 93 and still rides. Every week, 20 miles twice weekly. These are all amazing people. Add in my little lady and I can only hope to be like any one of them in the next decade.

Old 03-05-13, 05:11 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
snip... My BF and I ride with his dad (age 76) and his "ladies" who range in age from 66 to 82. ...snip
Riding must agree with him, he has a harem riding with him at 76, must be doing something right, I am doing good to get Monica to ride with me.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13