User Tag List

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Pub 51

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Another promising thread snuffed out for no reason, other than a mod could.
    Somebody must have whined.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Another promising thread snuffed out for no reason, other than a mod could.
    I agree, though I hardly take it personally and I can't see how anyone could think this subject isn't relevant to fifty+ cyclists. Perhaps I should have dropped "Brooks" or "tire size" into the first paragraph? Maybe reflecting on escapism is too close to home for someone. Shame on the BF, and leave it at that.
    Last edited by FrenchFit; 11-22-13 at 07:51 AM.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    I agree, though I hardly take it personally and I can't see how anyone could think this subject isn't relevant to fifty+ cyclists. Perhaps I should have dropped "Brooks" or "tire size" into the first paragraph? Maybe reflecting on escapism is too close to home for someone. Shame on the BF, and leave it at that.
    No need to do that. My post made it relevant to cycling. As I mentioned, there is a lot that could go wrong on a self-supported solo cycling tour.

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really should make you a mod. Just so you can see what we go through to try to make this place nice for everyone. You have no idea what issues that are thrown at us and the abuse that we take. All for no pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    We really should make you a mod. Just so you can see what we go through to try to make this place nice for everyone. You have no idea what issues that are thrown at us and the abuse that we take. All for no pay.
    If that's addressed to me: I accept.

Sadly, I'm obliged to leave it at that.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I think one of the things missing in the life of many "modern day" folks is the opportunity for real solitude. For some the only solitude they know is driving to and from work with the radio on. I suspect the idea of spending time with just self and the thoughts that exist when there are no outside demands for our attention by others can seem foreign to some. Yet, on a daily basis we are bombarded by demands from others to pay attention to the things they direct us towards. Coming to truly know who and what you are is challenging when you constantly get messages directing your attention here, there, and everywhere, Having, in my view, the luxury to sort out one’s own mind is achieved more easily with solitude. It is one of the major reasons I ride and that the majority of my rides are alone.
    Solitude as well as plain peace and quiet is necessary. Some years ago I sailed a boat from the Caribbean to New York City with my father and one other person. On the last day of the cruise, within several hours of the harbor but still out of sight of land, I became aware of a drone in the distance, almost below hearing threshold at first. After a while and still out of sight of land, it became evident we were hearing the city. After a bit of time, we were no longer able to hear the drone. We'd been absorbed into it. It seems to me we are constantly bombarded noise, flashing lights, loud colors and advertisements clamoring for our attention. It's enough to drive a person crazy. Oh, wait. Looking around, does anyone else see nutty people everywhere.

Some of us require a large dose of peace and quiet and take measures to achieve it including where we live, long backpacking into wilderness areas or sailing journeys across the ocean where the nearest person may be days or weeks away.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone recently asked a number of questions about how to chain up to drive in the snowy mountains. I thought I'd share my sage advice with the rest of you:

Relax. Do what I do.

1. Leave them in the can all winter until the freeze and rust up so bad, you can't even get them apart.

2. Pass all chain up areas, smirking and congratulating yourself that you're not one of those chumps that think chains really are required in R1 conditions.

3. Wait until your car is literally swimming in snow before you stop to put them on. Extra points if your car is stuck in a place the blocks the only exit to a parking lot.

4. Revel in the joy knowing that you finally get to use that shovel you've been toting around in your trunk for years to dig all the snow out from under your car and in the wheel wells.

5. At some point in the 90 or so minutes it takes you to dig the car loose, leave that shovel outside so you can lose it along with your wife's earrings.

6. Hear the cheery beep-beeping sound of the snowplow coming to clear out the parking lot, mere minutes after you've completed the task and parked your car. Rest comfy in the knowledge that you got a lot more exercise than most folks do before arriving at their destination.

Me? Still bitter? Nah.

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the things missing in the life of many "modern day" folks is the opportunity for real solitude. For some the only solitude they know is driving to and from work with the radio on. I suspect the idea of spending time with just self and the thoughts that exist when there are no outside demands for our attention by others can seem foreign to some. Yet, on a daily basis we are bombarded by demands from others to pay attention to the things they direct us towards. Coming to truly know who and what you are is challenging when you constantly get messages directing your attention here, there, and everywhere, Having, in my view, the luxury to sort out one’s own mind is achieved more easily with solitude. It is one of the major reasons I ride and that the majority of my rides are alone.
    Solitary rides are a great time, to an extent, for solitude. Of course you have to be alert for traffic and other potential dangers, but to a large extent it is you, the bike, the road, and the environment.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to share this.

An elderly man in Oklahoma calls his son in New York and says, "I hate to ruin your day son, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are getting a divorce; 45 years of marriage... and that much misery is enough!" "Dad, what are you talking about?" the son yells. "We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the old dad explained. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Hong Kong and tell her!". Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls her elderly father immediately, and screams at him, "You are not getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, you hear me?" she yelled as she hung up the phone. The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay", he says, "it's all set. They're both coming for Christmas and paying their own air-fare."

Merry Christmas everybody.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :thumbs: I wonder how difficult this might become for my children's generation - they are constantly responding to stimulation from Facebook etc. Maybe one day in the future there will be a big renaissance in spending quality time alone, outdoors, away from screens? Not holding my breath though. alright, GTG to physical therapy (neck), if I want to have a hope of riding again (or avoiding surgery).
    http://theoutsideinsideout.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92; Schwinn Continental '76.
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Had to share this.

An elderly man in Oklahoma calls his son in New York and says, "I hate to ruin your day son, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are getting a divorce; 45 years of marriage... and that much misery is enough!" "Dad, what are you talking about?" the son yells. "We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the old dad explained. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Hong Kong and tell her!". Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls her elderly father immediately, and screams at him, "You are not getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, you hear me?" she yelled as she hung up the phone. The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay", he says, "it's all set. They're both coming for Christmas and paying their own air-fare."

Merry Christmas everybody.
    Good one.

Merry Christmas!
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Siu, are you saying that the mods need sympathy? if not, then what? You say you are here to help, yet there are people who do not desire some of it.

Is it just that we are the minority? That's asking us to simply be submissive.

Is it that we are not appreciative of your efforts? Some of us certainly are not but probably not all of us. But if we users really understood why what we don't like is necessary, we might be a little more sanguine in our submission. If the mods can share the rationale in an understandable way in one or two cases (your choice), that might help me, at least.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barkeep, I'll be by a bit later. Please have my champagne ready. And lots of pretty girls.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody keeps trying to make "fetch" happen...
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    Somebody keeps trying to make "fetch" happen...
    The intent was to make this like the Addiction thread over at the 41. The attempt failed just by picking the Pub name, which led many to believe this was about alkeehol. Doomed from the start, really.

Now there are fewer "fun" threads on the forum. Why bother when they'll just get moved elsewhere? Not complaining, mind you. Just the way it is.

If I'm elected mod, the only posts I'd move are ones that are overtly political. Religious threads would stay if they are relevant and if people behaved as respectfully and tolerantly as they say they are.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a dart board in here? I want to toss some darts!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    Is there a dart board in here? I want to toss some darts!
    NORM!!!!!

oops, wrong channel?

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't ridden a bike since the afternoon of Christmas Eve - Mother Nature has been abusing her children!
    I could stand a round of darts with a dark beer in the non-tossing hand..............................
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our weather has been incredible for riding, but I am slacking miserably and missing out on the weather. MUST GET BUSY!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh the humanity!

www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Oh the humanity!
    The Onion! America's finest news source!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barkeep, I need a drink. Some people in this forum are stressing me the **** out.

Excuse my language sir and make it a double while you're at it. Neat!
    Titanium Division

My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Texas brunch after a brisk ride

IMGP1827.jpg
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookie what I found cleaning up my office! I thought it long dead (haven't used her in 20 years), but I popped some N batteries in her and she woke up with the beautiful words "MEMORY LOST."

IMG_5101 - compressed.jpg

Yea baby. Let the nerdly walk down memory lane begin.

I wasn't too happy with the batteries I bought on line though. Check out the box:

IMG_5102 - Compressed.jpg

Sheesh.
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Lookie what I found cleaning up my office! I thought it long dead (haven't used her in 20 years), but I popped some N batteries in her and she woke up with the beautiful words "MEMORY LOST."

IMG_5101 - compressed.jpg

Yea baby. Let the nerdly walk down memory lane begin.

Now THATS a real calculator (RPN)! I don't recognize the model though. I'm assuming it's an HP, of which I've had many over the years. Sadly, recent models have not been made nearly to the same quality as those through the 80's.

Here's an image of my first.

453q.jpg

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast