Thread: Pub 51

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few nights I needed to make a phone call and reached for the cordless only to have it report that I have no line. WTF! I say to myself. So I check my other phone and no dial tone there. So off to the basement I go, this I hate as I've been struggling with a bat problem and try to avoid going there. Flipping the lights on, I walk over to the phone lines, hear a noise and damned if I don't have a squirrel problem as well. He takes off into another room and I follow along to see a destination. Looking around I notice that the vent flue of my chimney has a gaping hole in it! There is a bullet I've dodged for who knows how long! My carbon monoxide detector has never peeped at all. So after going for a ride today, I'll need to go down into the bowels of my house and work a temporary patch until I can get the furnace guy over to do a proper repair. What I find annoying is that the furnace and flue are not even 10 yrs old and it rusted through the flue. If I didn't like the neighborhood so much, I'd sell cheap and move into the local retirement community!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Trek 4900, Marin Hawk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I had a flue installed I insisted on Stainless Steel. Big difference in price but it avoids issues like the one your describing. Glad you dodged the CO issue, could have been trajic.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."
    ― Albert Einstein

rck
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least now I'll no to keep an eye on it. I should take a pic because when the furnace guy and I went on the roof to check out the chimney cap, we discovered that the squirrel had chewed through the metal cap!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '60's Schwinn Typhoon 2-speed kickback, Specialized Hardrock, Sun Flat-top unicycle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning I had to decide - work on the bathroom remodel project or go for a ride. It's a complete demolition remodel, currently in the drywall mud stage. Not my favorite activity.

So at about 100 miles into the ride, I came to a bridge out - I mean completely out as in gone. What to do - a 10 mile detour or scrabble across the creek? The construction workers had dropped chunks of concrete across the creek, making a haphazard walkway. Halfway across the creek, I wavered pretty precariously but caught myself and finished the crossing without incident. 140 miles for the day, but sadly I got home in time to add another layer of mud. I shoulda gone for the detour, I guess.

On the bright side, although we have no heat due to the power damper on our new furnace being broken, it's under warranty so not a DIY. Life is good.
    This has to be a tie between re-frozen slushy uneven dirty ice stuff just right of the nicely plowed pavement, and super-glassy ice with a dusting of fresh powder - SalshShark

My Bikes
    4 rideable, 2 in pieces
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just popped in for a nightcap after a night in my local pub. No-one here, not even a barman, so I'm off to bed.
    A bike is for life, not just for Christmas.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    A few nights I needed to make a phone call and reached for the cordless only to have it report that I have no line.
    WTF ???
    We dropped our land line service in 2005 and have had only cell phones since. Never have a problem of no phone service, etc.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong

rck
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    WTF ???
    We dropped our land line service in 2005 and have had only cell phones since. Never have a problem of no phone service, etc.
    I have a tracfone that I take when I'm riding out in the country but its mostly for placebo effect as I can go 1 mile out of town and have no reception. U.S. cellular has somewhat better reception but not enough for me to spend the money to switch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lightly snowing just a few miles east of Seattle on Cougar Mt.
    First of the year at my elevation - about 800'.
    Not expecting much accumulation.
    But it does change the season.
    For me at least.
    Mentally.
    Cheers.
    WIN_20141129_074221.jpg
    to the freezer
    for the Aquavit
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, 90s Pinarello Cadore, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03 Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem, + beachcruiser + old MTB.

My Bikes
    2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc, 2014 Cannondale adventure 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May hit 83 degrees today....A little too warm for December but what the hell, it's Florida right?
    Can't say I miss the snow.
    Treasure Coast Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any body else have the "Empty Nest Syndrome" as a father of an only child/daughter?

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have been empty nesters for 11 years.
    My 44 y/o daughter called a week before Christmas and invited us down to her house or asked if we wanted her family to come up and visit with us. She lives 1-1/2 hours south. We told her that Christmas is time for her family to be together and we would be ok. Every year we have a non-traditional Christmas meal. This year we had home made (from scratch) chicken pot pie with a small salad and pumpkin and mince pie for dessert.
    We're happy.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Slide rules are a passion for me, we studied them thoroughly in HS physics before we started the class work in my Jr. year. My 18th birthday gift from my dad was a nice K&E engineers rule, unfortunately it was stolen from my locker. I have 20+ rules in my collection, some were my maternal grandfather's rules, he taught physics and mathematics for the Georgia university system. I was lucky enough to get some rare rules in eBay, with the K&E manuals, a few years back. I understand that a few people are using rules to teach again.

Your 41 was a grail calculator for me when I worked in well engineering, off-shore, never got to get one though. They fetch a hefty price at the auction sites now.

Bill
    My dad gave me his K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig, from about 1948. I have about half a dozen, but no other K&E.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    K+E ... that's what you got if you had the money to buy it.

My Dad gave me this little free sample slide rule when I was in 4th grade, and my older brother taught me to use it. Made by TDK ... all of about 6 inches long. It was made from bamboo and had a magnifying cursor and was pretty much as accurate as the full sized ones. I used it all the way into college until they started permitting scientific calculators. Still have it too!

Attachment 373668

I really loved that HP-41. You could play all kinds of synthetic programming tricks with it, dynamically reallocate memory ... all sorts of stuff. I even used it to do a finals project to simulate a non linear control system in my master's program. Somewhere (I have to find it), I've got the card reader and even that optical pen.
    My parents indulged me with the K&E that had several extra reverse scales, and also a metal "speed rule" since we had interscholastic slide rule competitions at that time. I still have the warm fuzzies for the K&E because I learned basic trig from practicing on it.

I've long since lost my slide rules, and also the programmable HP (I think it was the HP-25) that I bought with scholarship money as a freshman.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I don't get it.

So I bought me a shot of Scotch.

I tossed it down. Made me want to holler hi-dee-ho.

Burned my tummy, dontcha know.

Chugalug, chugalug.
    Good old Roger Williams!

RT
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *plop*

Newly 50. What's up in here?

RT
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by choteau View Post
    Any body else have the "Empty Nest Syndrome" as a father of an only child/daughter?
    Both kids out of the house, lots of time to myself. Thank God they're self-sufficient. I did something right. Downside is that, with snow all over the roads and no MTB, it becomes a struggle finding ways to fill time other than editing my manifesto.

Are you looking for ways to fill time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit overprotective since I was 37 when my daughter was born (only child). She turned 20 in Sept, and just moved to Florida with the deadbeat boyfriend.
    The wife and I are separated right now, she's trying to decide what she wants to do with rest of her life.
    Recently sold our big house with acreage in the country and moved to town.
    I'm retired on disability so, no job to go to. Yeah, trying to fill time. Been riding my bikes as much as possible, going to start a Tai Chi class and do some volunteering. Thinking about some bike touring, maybe travel.

My Bikes
    2006 GIANT TCR, Kevin Winter custom road bike, Thorn Nomad, Kona paddywagon FG/SS
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by choteau View Post
    I'm a bit overprotective since I was 37 when my daughter was born (only child). She turned 20 in Sept, and just moved to Florida with the deadbeat boyfriend.
    The wife and I are separated right now, she's trying to decide what she wants to do with rest of her life.
    Recently sold our big house with acreage in the country and moved to town.
    I'm retired on disability so, no job to go to. Yeah, trying to fill time. Been riding my bikes as much as possible, going to start a Tai Chi class and do some volunteering. Thinking about some bike touring, maybe travel.
    Do the touring, and make it big enough so it qualifies as travel. When I took early retirement I was living on my own. Almost the first thing I did was buy a touring bike and take off for two months, doing a loop from Toronto to the Atlantic, then back through New England and upstate New York to Toronto. Bigger deal for me than it would be for you, since I'm UK-based.

it was one of the best things I've ever done. It seemed to mark the end of one phase of my life and clear the decks for the next one. And I was glad I went alone, it meant I engaged with the people I met along the way rather than just talking to a companion. Hghly recommend it. Europe has some fabulous destinations for the bicycle tourist, if you feel like a temporary change of scene...
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Empty nest....what's that?? Our 25yr old son and grandson are with us because of his verbally abusive wife just cant be lived with fulltime. We have 3 bedrooms and dont mind it much. Our other one, the gypsy-like "blowing in the wind" 21yr old daughter recently left for Phx area, probably on her way to Cali. She is gone couch-hopping every summer and somehow drifts back every winter. Honestly, my wife and I seem just as involved or moreso than when they were children with the exception of no diapers and we dont yell at or ground them anymore.

My wife and I will celebrate 37yrs of marriage this summer. Someday we will grab another RV and travel.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pi(e) ride tomorrow anyone?

Wow, it sure quieted down in here. 3.141592653 or 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 I'll have a mouth full of Pi

Edit: Here's me eating a slice on Pi Day at 9:26:53

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 03-15-15 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added photo
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Gran Tourismo
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to think of it....pizza does qualify. It always does.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whiskey, please.

Leave the bottle.
    Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
    Titanium Division

My Bikes
    Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer this

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez ... I love the Organ Symphony. And this version is amazing. For those who don't have the patience for the whole thing, skip to 27:15.

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright kids I think ya'll have to get out more,got to get your exercise,,,,,

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast