Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saving money.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saving money.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 11:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Saving money.

Dare say that many are in the same boat as me where I have to warrant expenditure on bike stuff. Other priorities take over now since I Retired. I have been scouring the internet for cheaper buys and although it can take a bit of time- The time is not wasted and I saved a significant amount on the Garmin and the Go Pro.

But I am also being more careful on what I buy. Do I need that expensive chain lube-is that pump finished and come to the end of its life and other such things. Couple of things I have saved money on in the last year and although they may seem small- they are worthwhile.

Chain cleaner and I no longer buy the "Correct" and "Approved" stuff. To clean the chain I am using Clothes washing detergent at about 10%.Does take a couple of goes but The chain is sparkling. Quick wash off with water but I haven't found anything as good or cheaper than WD yet so frugal spray with WD- leave to drain and lube.

I had a pump that was old and become useless. Before chucking it I stripped it down and looked at it. One of the rubber seals was all that looked wrong so rummaged in a box at the hardware store and found one that was the same size. I know I could have gone back to the manufacture for a repair kit but the pump is so old the I had forgotten where I got it and was probably some Weird model from a now defunct manufacturer.

Puncture repair and I always carry a Repair kit on the bike. Don't get many puncture but once opened-I find the glue tube has dried up the 2nd time I use it. I now repair at home and buy patches in a large sheet so I can cut the right size and the glue tubes I buy are far larger than the repair kit versions. Takes a long time for them to dry out and for the price of a repair kit-I get the equivalent of 5 kits.

So what are you saving money on that you can pass on?

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-06-13 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 12:14 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have long bought tubes, tires, chains, cables and other consumables at the end of the season when the big discount sales occur. I stopped buying boutique chain lubes and cleaners 20 years ago. (I use WD-40 and household citrus cleaner) I built my own frames for many years (not that much of a savings). I still build my own wheels and do my own mechanical. I get by on about $150 worth of cycling related gear a year unless something major breaks.
Old 03-06-13, 12:46 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was beginning to look for a new cyclocross when my LBS told to wait till their warehouse sale... I didn't see what I was looking for -- but the owner's 2008 Lemond was up for sale (by his staff -- he didn't want to sell it!)... So, I saved a bunch there...

But I realized that I needed a triple instead of the OEM Bontrager crank that was on there. Everything else on the bike is Shimano 105 -- 5600 series (which is one generation back). I found a new 5600 series crank and shifter on EBay for $200 -- which is about half as much as the current (5700) series would have cost me. So, I saved a bunch there too....

So, why am I so broke after saving all this money **********?

(The mailman dropped off the crank about 1/2 an hour ago -- it's beautiful! Shimano makes nice stuff!)

After thought: Actually I make very little effort to save money on cycling. In fact I pretty much destroy all of my lifelong frugal habits. But, I justify it by telling myself that it is saving me money by (hopefully) saving me from spending time in hospital (Which costs more in a day than all of my cycling gear combined). (My LBS thinks differently: when I comment that I shouldn't be spending so much money, he just laughs and says: "Yep, you're addicted!").

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 03-06-13 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Add note on why...
Old 03-06-13, 12:56 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I simply started avoiding the upgrades that I do not really need. It may be heresy to say that I don't need/want an upgrade of a component but if what I already works perfectly, isn't broken or worn out why spend for a new gegaw. If it does not compromise safety I use something until it is truly worn out or it should break as I am using it. Latest and greatest can be neat and look good but I just cannot rationalize spending carelessly when I am saving money at every turn with the local construction economy and our lack or enough contracts right now. And, it has not bothered me or hurt my riding one bit. I'll watch this thread for the ideas others have so I can put them to work, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-06-13, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
I stopped buying boutique chain lubes and cleaners 20 years ago. (I use WD-40 and household citrus cleaner)...
Some years back I discovered that Tri-Flow could be purchased in the industrial one-gallon container for a small fraction of the per-ounce price it cost in the little containers marketed to cyclists, so I bought one. That was about ten years ago. I just checked, and the price is now about twice what I paid back then: https://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC109951

I've used a little less than half of it so far.
Old 03-06-13, 02:04 PM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I built up my own good for everything bike so for the last several months or so I have been on a constant shopping spree for everything I needed to make it complete. I originally built it up with what I had in the parts bin and an older donating bike but upgrading is coming along well and almost complete now so I have been saving by using Amazon and Ebay and watching sales at online parts suppliers. All my gasoline savings from commuting to work have been spent on this effort so I have saved a bunch there too.
Old 03-06-13, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I save money by working and spending money on the 5 bicycles my wife and I own. This tends to distract me from spending big (for me) money on my motorcycle and truck.

Seriously tho...I too am retired and, as such, need to keep an eye on just about every penny I spend. Been thinking about seeking a part-time job just to keep me occupied.
Old 03-06-13, 02:27 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I'm rebuilding my bathroom myself. That saves a whole bunch of money that I can now spend on bike stuff. And, of course, my wife considers any clothing sale as a way to MAKE money (saved $123 that I would have spent, so therefore I'm $123 richer --and can spend that somewhere else --since it's free money )
Old 03-06-13, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
And, of course, my wife considers any clothing sale as a way to MAKE money (saved $123 that I would have spent, so therefore I'm $123 richer --and can spend that somewhere else --since it's free money )
Funny how that works.

Every now and then my wife will come home from shopping and claim that "she saved X amount of dollars" by taking advantage of sale items!

I, rude husband that I am, will then ask her if she'd be kind enough to give me half of what she saved.

Been married for 22+ years and I still haven't gotten a dime of the so-called money she "saved"...
Old 03-06-13, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Something I'd like to try for chain, bits & bobs cleaning.. An ultrasonic tank with citrus based detergent. Here the tanks can be had for < $40.

Saving money? I have no car, motorcycles are to be sold, don't drink, no smoking and no expensive high fat food.
Rarely eat out, seldom date... What's left! I'm a monk!

Saved money.
Canceled Volagi Liscio buy. It was shipped a week late with wrong spec wheel set and a whole bunch of other details. Then the dealer holds it for several days before telling me it has arrived in this sorry state.
Sad, as I do like the bike. Meh! Saved $3800.
But now I'm in the market for a swan-song road bike for me.

Note: Consider this a bump.
No offence is meant. If any is felt or taken by this post PM me and it will be deleted.
Old 03-06-13, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have been car free since November. My insurance and registration would have been due this month.$$$ saved.
My only upgrade to my '89 Trek was a Nitto Periscopa stem. Thought about switching to a BB Cartridge for this years overhaul but caged and loose bearings are fun(and cheap)
My real need is better cold weather gear. I'm doing my best to hold out and see what goes on sale this spring.
Old 03-06-13, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
I'm not retired yet, but my paycheck hasn't improved much since the Great Recession. We have two college age kids, too. And the wife doesn't work. So I buy older stuff in good condition to save money. I drink cheap vodka and cheap beer, also. This is a big sacrifice for me.
Six more years to retirement, ha. I'll be working after age 65 for sure.
Old 03-06-13, 06:31 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another way that I save money is buying (with a very few exceptions) almost exclusively from my LBS... I know that doesn't make sense. But for me, over the long haul it saves me money because he knows me, my riding style, my bikes and their condition. And, since he knows what to buy, I get it right the first time. And, if it isn't right, he makes it right... Plus he looks out for my wallet -- he's trying to get me the best for the least.

So, weird as it seems, he saves me money.

The Lemond is a good example. He knew what I was looking for and he knew this bike -- not only it's specs, but it's history. So, when it went on sale he brought it to my attention and after the sale he has been working to make it a really good bike FOR ME...

If I had gone out on my own, I would have shot myself in the foot...
Old 03-07-13, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Some years back I discovered that Tri-Flow could be purchased in the industrial one-gallon container for a small fraction of the per-ounce price it cost in the little containers marketed to cyclists, so I bought one. That was about ten years ago. I just checked, and the price is now about twice what I paid back then: https://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC109951

I've used a little less than half of it so far.
A GALLON OF TRI FLOW! At my age I don't even buy green bananas anymore.
Old 03-07-13, 10:29 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Both of my (now-deceased) parents were born in 1929, and I learned a lot of valuable Depression 1.0 era lessons from my maternal grandparents, with whom I lived as an undergrad. My wife and I got married after five years of college. She had her provisional teaching credential, and I was one year into a 6-year doctoral curriculum, so we lived as starving grad students for five years -- she was substitute teaching art and math for $35/day, and I was getting about $3K/yr. as a teaching assistant and later on a fellowship.

It is probably my Scots DNA (my avatar is a low-resolution rendition of a Clan Chisholm tartan), reinforced by experiences during my 20s, but I have always been thrifty, including doing most of my own home, appliance, bicycle, and car repair work and always living well within my means. We have always kept our cars 15 to 20 years, and the summer we both turned 42, my wife and I celebrated by paying off the home mortgage, which was the only debt we had ever carried. We are now reaping the rewards of a lifetime of fiscal responsibility, and I hope our two sons have gotten the message.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069