Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking for information about riding in the Palm Springs area

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My kids are off to college and my wife and I are close to selling our primary residence. We're doing diligence on where to go next. One of the options is the Palm Springs area. I've visited often but have never ridden out there. I know the century ride is somewhat notorious for wind.

I've seen some Strava segments which helps a bit.

If anyone has spent time riding the area and could help with some information I'd appreciate it.

While I don't know what I don't know, some initial questions are -

- Is there any good climbing in the area? The 74 looks like it has potential but I don't know what the bike lane and traffic situation are like.
- Are there reasonable bike lines?
- Are the roads east of the 10 in reasonable shape?
- Are there good LBS' in the area?
- How cycling friendly is the area?

I searched the forums but most threads are about the century ride. Thanks in advance for any beta.
Old 03-13-13, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You need to post this in the SoCal regional forum. I've ridden the 100K and Century - not sure there's a lot of variety for a full-time cyclists (and it does get very hot in the summer, but you know that already).
Old 03-13-13, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, Socal forum is busy. This thread is recent https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...MGEN-is-coming not much info but maybe Mobile 155 can answer your questions. From my experience, yes, there are some nice climbs and spectacular valley views.

Last edited by jdon; 03-13-13 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 06:07 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Whoo boy. There is one good climb up there at least ... the climb to the San Jacinto Tram. It starts off at 5% and slowly ramps up until it gets to 15%+ at the parking lots.

Old 03-13-13, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
You need to post this in the SoCal regional forum. I've ridden the 100K and Century - not sure there's a lot of variety for a full-time cyclists (and it does get very hot in the summer, but you know that already).
Thanks - I'm such a newbie that I didn't even know the regional forums existed.
Old 03-13-13, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Whoo boy. There is one good climb up there at least ... the climb to the San Jacinto Tram. It starts off at 5% and slowly ramps up until it gets to 15%+ at the parking lots.
Thanks - saw something over there on Strava but mistakenly thought is was a MTB segment.

Biker395, I'm pushing for a Mammoth instead of Palm Springs move but it's best to keep the wife happy...
Old 03-13-13, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
My son just moved out there and we have visited twice. While it's a beautiful place, it's not a place that made me think "Whoa, I wish I had my bike with me." Lots of traffic and LOTS of soccer moms speeding around with their faces buried in their smart phones. Really, I'm not just being a dinosaur. The "quiet" roads are the worst, and my daughter-in-law is one of the worst offenders.

Also, it felt pretty flat to me, but I was only on the roads. Perhaps there's some good hilly mountain biking, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 03-14-13, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are good bike shops and bikes for rent in the area. HIlls? Lots of 'em, and that tram hill has to be one of the toughest I've ever seen. There's also some nice rides out to the various date palm oasis on the north side of the valley that are also hilly.

Bike lanes? Quite a few around, just be careful where as there are lots of inattentive drivers. Indio, oddly enough, has some very wide avenues with nice bike lanes. There are also (as anywhere) quiet streets that can be found with bike lanes. The 111 is the main drag through the area and parts of that can be nice to ride.

What's tough out there is the wind, the (in some areas) blowing sand, and the heat! I've seen it be 100 degrees at midnight in the summer! So, take a bike with you, there are some great areas to cycle in including hills...just be sure to check out your route first.
Old 03-14-13, 09:51 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
My son just moved out there and we have visited twice. While it's a beautiful place, it's not a place that made me think "Whoa, I wish I had my bike with me." Lots of traffic and LOTS of soccer moms speeding around with their faces buried in their smart phones. Really, I'm not just being a dinosaur. The "quiet" roads are the worst, and my daughter-in-law is one of the worst offenders.

Also, it felt pretty flat to me, but I was only on the roads. Perhaps there's some good hilly mountain biking, if that's what you're looking for.
That's how I sum up the area but good news, there is lots of good options a short distance away. One thing to consider, late spring/summer a brutal place to ride. Temperatures there yesterday were in the 90's (yes already) and summer gets to 110 +. It used to be a dry heat but the area has become more humid with development and golf courses. And I think that wind is out there any time of the year. I have done the Palm Springs Century (always in February) a number of times and wind is always a factor.

The road are OK... no roads in CA are in good shape (budget woes you know). There aren't alot of bike lanes but roads generally are wide. Another thing to consider, outside of Palm Springs/Palm Desert economy is really repressed/low socio-economy etc if you know what I mean. Alot of those people are not "bike savvy" or as aware as I would prefer.

Suggestion would be to take a trip spend some time there and just check it out... Personally if I was thinking of retirement in CA I would look at the San Diego area... if you like heat - east San Diego...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-14-13, 09:54 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by here2day
Thanks - saw something over there on Strava but mistakenly thought is was a MTB segment.

Biker395, I'm pushing for a Mammoth instead of Palm Springs move but it's best to keep the wife happy...
I would love to retire to the Mammoth Area - keep pushing!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-14-13, 09:57 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by here2day

It's a tough climb. The bottom section is one of those long upwards climbs up an alluvial fan, and it just gets steeper as you go. The top parking lot is about 19%.

Tough choice between Palm Springs and Mammoth! If your wife prefers the Springs because of the warmer year round weather, see if you can talk her into Bishop.

Old 03-14-13, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Nice ride from Banning, Hwy 243 to 74 and down into Palm Desert. The elevation gets you out of the heat of the valley floor and the hills shelter the wind.

The Banning pass is a venturi for the onshore winds so the North end of the valley is normally windy. Once you get away from the north end of town, the wind subsides to a more manageable level. In the summer, it can be like riding in an oven.
Old 03-14-13, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Yes it gets hot in the summer and you have to ride early in the morning or real late in the afternoon. Still there are lots of places to ride and if you want night life, good food, and entertainment Palm Springs can be hands and feet above Mammoth. If you want quiet off seasons and a lot of climbing Mammoth might fit the bill. Yes there is a lot of traffic in Palm Springs but they are also very used to having cyclists around and some of the climbing has been mentioned. There is a reason they have one of the largest wind farms in the area and anything heading west on 111 will most likely get you some wind training. You can get in some great roller action out on Dillon.

As it has been said the climb to the tram will make a stronger climber. The best part might be during the Spring and Fall the weather breaks and you can extend your riding well out in distance. Head South east to the Salton Sea. Indio has the Tamale festival. All reachable by bike. Joshua Tree has some interesting festivals and I have been to a few. Amgen will be heading there this year on stage 2. And as you already know it is home to one of the most interesting Centuries in the State. You are also within striking distance of several other riding areas in Southern California that can be accomplished in a day by car, even the beach or the mountains. There are lots of places to ride, several bike trails and lots of LBS support plus a supportive populace, even if there are a few that are jerks like everywhere. And everything from flat rides to rollers to heavy climbing. But did I mention it gets hot in the summer? I just take heat well.