Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on Look Keo Easy pedals

I recently switched one of my bikes to these pedals from previously using MTB spd pedals on my road bikes. The Look pedals are pointing upward when disengaged and it could be difficult to point it parallel to reengage. I find myself looking down for an uncomfortable length of time and frequently losing momentum. Needless to say, this is an annoying and hazardous situation.

Look pedals seem to be very popular. With this condition, I don't understand why. Am I missing something?

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the current generation of Look pedals, I've found the best technique to be using the bottom of the shoe just after the toe to skim along the tip of the pedal until it reaches the cleat and then step into it to lock the cleat into the pedal. If you're new to them it may require several rides' worth of practice but it will be second nature after a while.
    Last edited by t4mv; 06-13-13 at 09:32 PM. Reason: just testing...

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would find that awkward too. Glad I have my Speedplays.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't stomp into Keos like you can with SPDs.

They tip up like that so you can hook the front of the pedal with the tip of the cleat. That rotates the back of the pedal up to the cleat. and you click in.

So instead of primarily vertical, your motion should be primarily horizontal.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post

They tip up like that so you can hook the front of the pedal with the tip of the cleat. That rotates the back of the pedal up to the cleat. and you click in.

This, plus I found that at first, if I looked at my foot, the visual feedback was off, and I'd miss - I stopped looking and instantly had
    more success... now that I've been using them for a while, that doesn't seem to matter any more.

Note that my first set of pedals was spd style but the ones that are platform on on side and clip on the other, and those had a similar
    issue, the default position was clip down, so I had to flip the pedal over with my foot before I could click in.
    there is no signature.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road riding by its nature is not a jump on and off often , thing, like Commuting, cross and MTB riding..

People seem to like the extra stability of the road shoe/ pedal combos even on tours down the Coast.
    though off the bike is unwieldy and wears down the cleats, trying to walk far..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteban58 View Post
    Note that my first set of pedals was spd style but the ones that are platform on on side and clip on the other, and those had a similar
    issue, the default position was clip down, so I had to flip the pedal over with my foot before I could click in.
    My experience with a similar set of pedals is that they have no default position. If the pedal was wrong side up, just wait one revolution and it goes right side up.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This. It's a design feature, and has been from the very first generation of Looks back in the '80s. For those used to having to use their cleated shoe to flip a standard quill pedal with clips and straps, it was a godsend.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TSL nailed it, as others have indicated. It's worth practicing just clipping in one at a time from a standing postion without looking. Do it 15 or 20 times, and then do the other side. Once you get the motion down, it's pretty easy.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm learning this the hard way. More than once, I stomped on the Keo with the wrong side up, slipped, and got an unscheduled prostate exam.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^OUCH!

I like stomping on my eggbeaters.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    This. It's a design feature, and has been from the very first generation of Looks back in the '80s. For those used to having to use their cleated shoe to flip a standard quill pedal with clips and straps, it was a godsend.
    +1 Keos are wonderfully easy to clip into. As mentioned, just skim your shoe over the pedal and as it flattens, step in. I usually don't even look down while doing it.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I would find that awkward too. Glad I have my Speedplays.
    Speedplays are especially good for Canadians as we are avid skaters. Those plate steel cleats are great ice simulators.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Speedplays are especially good for Canadians as we are avid skaters. Those plate steel cleats are great ice simulators.
    Must be an individual thing. I've never had a problem with Speedplays but find SPD's a PITA to get into. Go figure. FWIW all the A riders in my club (of which I am not one) use Speedplays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following this advice which was endorsed by other responders to this thread, I found clipping into the pedals a lot smoother and easier. As usual, this forum is a great source for advice. Thank you very much.

On a related note, I find my left shoe brushing against the crank arm on the downstroke. Do these pedals have shorter spindles? Is there a remedy for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camelopardalis View Post
    Following this advice which was endorsed by other responders to this thread, I found clipping into the pedals a lot smoother and easier. As usual, this forum is a great source for advice. Thank you very much.

On a related note, I find my left shoe brushing against the crank arm on the downstroke. Do these pedals have shorter spindles? Is there a remedy for this?
    Perhaps your cleat is misaligned putting you in a toe out position. If that is a proper position for you anatomy, then you might be able to add a thin washer on the pedal spindle to move the pedal body out. Also, it is possible your cleat is too far to the outside of the foot, putting the foot closer to the crankarm.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Must be an individual thing. I've never had a problem with Speedplays but find SPD's a PITA to get into. Go figure. FWIW all the A riders in my club (of which I am not one) use Speedplays.
    Well there you go.. I am not in your club. Keo Blades are big here.
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Well there you go.. I am not in your club. Keo Blades are big here.
    Yeah, I've been waiting for my older Keo Carbons to show wear so I can get the Blades. Speedplay says their pedals are light but they don't include the weight of the cleat. I couldn't ride them anyway. Very uncomfortable for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Yeah, I've been waiting for my older Keo Carbons to show wear so I can get the Blades. Speedplay says their pedals are light but they don't include the weight of the cleat. I couldn't ride them anyway. Very uncomfortable for me.
    I couldn't wait. Well, Santa couldn't wait. My Keo Carbons are now lining a tool box drawer. Obviously, I need another bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Perhaps your cleat is misaligned putting you in a toe out position. If that is a proper position for you anatomy, then you might be able to add a thin washer on the pedal spindle to move the pedal body out. Also, it is possible your cleat is too far to the outside of the foot, putting the foot closer to the crankarm.
    I didn't even know that there is room to move the cleat around. I set the cleat far to the inside and that helped move my foot a bit away from the pedal. The pedal touched my foot where the big toe "knuckle" is. With this adjustment, my foot is only a few millimeters away from the pedal. Maybe I'll add a washer if it touches again when I go for a longer ride. I do have wide feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camelopardalis View Post
    I didn't even know that there is room to move the cleat around. I set the cleat far to the inside and that helped move my foot a bit away from the pedal. The pedal touched my foot where the big toe "knuckle" is. With this adjustment, my foot is only a few millimeters away from the pedal. Maybe I'll add a washer if it touches again when I go for a longer ride. I do have wide feet.
    The washers I use are very thin. They might be 1mm at most. You have to make sure the threads of the spindle have enough contact in the crankarm. My LBS says I can use 2 of those thin washers if needed. Each crank is different though so be careful.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, for the unwashed masses who still use SPDs, why the switch? A520s on my road bike, M324s on my bent. Never had a problem with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    So, for the unwashed masses who still use SPDs, why the switch? A520s on my road bike, M324s on my bent. Never had a problem with them.
    Not sure I understand the unwashed masses. Did it seem that folks were being negative? I think I missed something.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know many guys that use Ultegra or DA pedals. They are nice. If I wasn't so used to Look Keos I'd probably use Dura Ace pedals. They're pretty similar.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, for the unwashed masses who still use SPDs, why the switch? A520s on my road bike
    I use A520s, and I wash. Sometimes, I even wash myself.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast