Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-13, 09:38 AM   #1
Linedog

Bikes: 1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
False starts.

Ok after too many false starts I went for my first ride in years yesterday. Yup I still remember how to ride! I first ordered cheap tubes off eBay and installed them. One popped while being filled, great. So back to the forum, did a search on tubes and ordered a pair of Schwalbe tubes, so far so good. Installed them last night and did a quick check over Retro Bob and off I went. Work jeans, boots, T-shirt and a ear to ear grin. Wow even in 43 degree weather I still managed to sweat a bit! Now to see if my feet will still fit my Shimano shoes, if I can remember to clip in/out of my SPD's and put my GoPro on my helmet. Ah yes the simple joy of the wind in my face with no noise.
Linedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 09:43 AM   #2
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Great news LD, hope the return goes well for you. Enjoy the rides and post some pictures and a ride report when you get the chance. please.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 09:56 AM   #3
NOS88

Bikes:
First, welcome back to the wonderful world of cycling and to the 50+ forum. Yeah, that first ride back tends to spread a big grin across your face.
Old 03-22-13, 03:08 PM   #4
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Welcome back! Word to the wise: tubes don't pop unless the tire is incorrectly mounted. Lots of advice to Google under "pinched tube."
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 05:09 PM   #5
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
I just got tubes for $3 each from Art's Cyclery. Bought in volume (packs of five each), googled "Coupon Art's Cyclery" to get the $1 discount, and ordered a water bottle to take it over $50 and get free shipping.

Road Inner Tube 5 Pack 700x20/28 32mm Prest 3 3 15.00 45.00
15% Off Customer Appreciation Discount 1 1 -1.05 -1.05
Art's 30th Water Bottle 22oz Purist Clear/R 1 1 6.99 6.99
Sub Total = 50.94
Sales Tax = 3.90
Ship Via: UPS Ground = 0.00
Payment Method: Paypal = 54.84

I've never had any problems with cheap tubes.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 08:53 PM   #6
Linedog

Bikes: 1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp
@BlazingPedals, the tube split right along a seam for about an inch. The new tubes work fine and hold air great!
Linedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 09:00 PM   #7
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
That's great! If you have clipless pedals and know how to change a tube then you must have a fair amount of experience -- so you know what you got yourself into... Best of Luck to you -- May the wind always be at your back!
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 09:00 PM   #8
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Schwalbe makes gos stuff, enjoy the tubes. I have trouble with stone cuts on their Lugano tyres so I switched to Gatorskins. I understand their upper level tyres are great, several members here use them, successfully. In case you didn't know you can order direct from Schwalbe's web site too. Kind of pricey there but when noone else has something special it is there. I used Amazon to get my spare Lugano tyre I still have put away.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 09:33 PM   #9
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Sounds like linedog was an innocent victim of circumstance, whereas I mercilessly butchered two inner tubes trying to get the d@mn Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires off my wheels in order to replace them with some skinny Michelins. Good thing the Cards were winning at the time or it could have gotten ugly.

You don't have enough posts for PMs. My son is moving out to Gig Harbor in May to work at a church, I think it's called Believers Fellowship. He's either taking my LeMonster, or maybe a new road bike for a graduation present. You'll have to give us the inside scoop on the cycling scene there.
Old 03-23-13, 10:44 PM   #10
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Linedog,
Way to go getting back into it. Work boots? Jeans? T-shirt? Seems a long way from thinking about Shimano shoes and SPDs... you have some experience riding I take it. Anyway, well done... and good choice on the Schwalbe tubes... excellent stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Schwalbe makes gos stuff, enjoy the tubes. I have trouble with stone cuts on their Lugano tyres so I switched to Gatorskins. I understand their upper level tyres are great, several members here use them, successfully. In case you didn't know you can order direct from Schwalbe's web site too. Kind of pricey there but when noone else has something special it is there. I used Amazon to get my spare Lugano tyre I still have put away.

Bill
+1 on the Schwalbe quality. FYI Ultemo DDs are the equal of Gatorskins and then some IMO.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote