Thread: False starts.

My Bikes
    1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

False starts.

Ok after too many false starts I went for my first ride in years yesterday. Yup I still remember how to ride! I first ordered cheap tubes off eBay and installed them. One popped while being filled, great. So back to the forum, did a search on tubes and ordered a pair of Schwalbe tubes, so far so good. Installed them last night and did a quick check over Retro Bob and off I went. Work jeans, boots, T-shirt and a ear to ear grin. Wow even in 43 degree weather I still managed to sweat a bit! Now to see if my feet will still fit my Shimano shoes, if I can remember to clip in/out of my SPD's and put my GoPro on my helmet. Ah yes the simple joy of the wind in my face with no noise.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news LD, hope the return goes well for you. Enjoy the rides and post some pictures and a ride report when you get the chance. please.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome back to the wonderful world of cycling and to the 50+ forum. Yeah, that first ride back tends to spread a big grin across your face.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back! Word to the wise: tubes don't pop unless the tire is incorrectly mounted. Lots of advice to Google under "pinched tube."

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got tubes for $3 each from Art's Cyclery. Bought in volume (packs of five each), googled "Coupon Art's Cyclery" to get the $1 discount, and ordered a water bottle to take it over $50 and get free shipping.

Road Inner Tube 5 Pack 700x20/28 32mm Prest 3 3 15.00 45.00
    15% Off Customer Appreciation Discount 1 1 -1.05 -1.05
    Art's 30th Water Bottle 22oz Purist Clear/R 1 1 6.99 6.99
    Sub Total = 50.94
    Sales Tax = 3.90
    Ship Via: UPS Ground = 0.00
    Payment Method: Paypal = 54.84

I've never had any problems with cheap tubes.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BlazingPedals, the tube split right along a seam for about an inch. The new tubes work fine and hold air great!

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! If you have clipless pedals and know how to change a tube then you must have a fair amount of experience -- so you know what you got yourself into... Best of Luck to you -- May the wind always be at your back!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwalbe makes gos stuff, enjoy the tubes. I have trouble with stone cuts on their Lugano tyres so I switched to Gatorskins. I understand their upper level tyres are great, several members here use them, successfully. In case you didn't know you can order direct from Schwalbe's web site too. Kind of pricey there but when noone else has something special it is there. I used Amazon to get my spare Lugano tyre I still have put away.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like linedog was an innocent victim of circumstance, whereas I mercilessly butchered two inner tubes trying to get the d@mn Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires off my wheels in order to replace them with some skinny Michelins. Good thing the Cards were winning at the time or it could have gotten ugly.

You don't have enough posts for PMs. My son is moving out to Gig Harbor in May to work at a church, I think it's called Believers Fellowship. He's either taking my LeMonster, or maybe a new road bike for a graduation present. You'll have to give us the inside scoop on the cycling scene there.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linedog,
    Way to go getting back into it. Work boots? Jeans? T-shirt? Seems a long way from thinking about Shimano shoes and SPDs... you have some experience riding I take it. Anyway, well done... and good choice on the Schwalbe tubes... excellent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Schwalbe makes gos stuff, enjoy the tubes. I have trouble with stone cuts on their Lugano tyres so I switched to Gatorskins. I understand their upper level tyres are great, several members here use them, successfully. In case you didn't know you can order direct from Schwalbe's web site too. Kind of pricey there but when noone else has something special it is there. I used Amazon to get my spare Lugano tyre I still have put away.

Bill
    +1 on the Schwalbe quality. FYI Ultemo DDs are the equal of Gatorskins and then some IMO.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot