Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake up !!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wake up !!!

It is that time of the year- and in particular this year-When not much is going on-Too cold to ride- not enough fitness to do a decent ride due to the winter lay-off and in this weather- cycling is probably the last thing on your mind.

This is being shown in the lack of new posts within the Forum.

There must be something cycle related you can talk about that will interest other forum members but that lack of new posts is getting to be a worry. I look every day for a new subject and replies to read but there are not many. I have tried to generate some interest with posts that may interest others and in the last month I have started 10 postings to try and generate some enthusiasm. I have now run out of ideas for what may have some interest amongst you and wait for some of you to wake up and start posting.

I cant talk anymore about how cold and wet and windy it is over here

I can't talk about any modifications I have done to the bike as they were dane months ago

And if you hear anymore about how good I did down at the gym (Or badly for that matter) then I will start getting Threatening letters.

So just a gentle call to all of our members ouy there

WAKE UP

And tell the rest of us how you are doing-How many times the bike has been polished- when you last threw the cat out of the bike shed- in fact anything you have been doing that is cycle related

Last bit of cycle related is to keep the moderators happy (ish)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old folks homes are rarely very lively.

That was offensive, wasn't it? Sorry. But it's noteworthy that you are, effectively, making the point that the mods attempted to make a few weeks ago, and which was so roundly decried; namely, that a small bunch of regulars isn't enough to keep the forum interesting. It simply degenerates into the sort of elderly chit-chat that bores the pants off anyone who is less than fascinated by the shaving habits of the elderly or the fact that there used to be a company called ... whatever.

To be fair, I largely exempt you from this criticism. Despite not sharing your enthusiasm for pie rides, I do recognise that you make some effort to initiate cycling-related discussions in a cycling forum. But really, you're flogging a dead horse, it seems to me.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been snowing around here. Not a lot but a few inches every few days. Just enough snow to mess up the roads and prevent a steady build up of miles. So I cleaned the bike, including removing the cassette and scrubbing with a tooth brush as well as the chain and it is sparkley clean now.

In preparation for a bit of touring this coming summer, I bought a 350 lumen light for the handle bar and a blinky for the back. In order to give the light a try out, I went and rode the bike path for 12 miles at 4:30 AM. It was a bit colder than I expected, right around the freezing mark and I was also surprised to see other denizens of the night walking or jogging. In the meanwhile, as you have noted, you and I are seriously out of shape.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding all winter (such is life in Southern, CA), both commuting to and from work, doing evening club rides on Tues. and Thur. evenings and longer rides, often in the mountains, on the weekends. I just didn't think any of it was note-worthy in the forum context.

Although, I did have some excellent Rhubarb pie last night!

This coming weekend I had planned another long ride in the mountains (about 70 mi. with about 8,000 feet of climbing), but then my wife told me she's doing a century on Sunday and I was not invited to ride that with her if I'd done a huge mountain ride the day before. She is concerned about my health . . .

So, I can do the club ride on Sat. http://www.ocrebels.com/spreadsheets/SaturdayBlue.pdf

To which, I think I can add some climbing, and then ride with my wife on Sunday. Other than that, here's the data from my last ride in the mountains:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/277353412

Bike are all cleaned and tuned up; have to put a new rear tire on the GURU, but other than that, no problems! GURU photo below.

GURU Photon with SRAM RED.jpg

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-22-13 at 03:22 PM.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ZzZzzzzzzzz.... zZZzZzzzzzz.... ZzzZzshnerkpfufle!!! Whazzat!?!? Did someone say something? I wonder what woke me up?

I get the bike out even in the cold weather for occasional afternoon errand running, barring precipitation and/or snow/ice accumulation. A few days ago, I even hit a trail for a while, and snapped a pic. Those panniers pretty much live on my bike now. I leave 'em on even when I have no need for them beyond carrying my spare innertubes and emergency kit.

With all the road salt though, my bike gets a more thorough cleaning than usual, post ride. (I keep the bike in the house, so the cat never get's thrown out. He prefers boxes... and my sweatshirts, to curl up in, in any case.)
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 03-22-13 at 03:15 PM.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Old folks homes are rarely very lively.

That was offensive, wasn't it? Sorry. But it's noteworthy that you are, effectively, making the point that the mods attempted to make a few weeks ago, and which was so roundly decried; namely, that a small bunch of regulars isn't enough to keep the forum interesting. It simply degenerates into the sort of elderly chit-chat that bores the pants off anyone who is less than fascinated by the shaving habits of the elderly or the fact that there used to be a company called ... whatever.

To be fair, I largely exempt you from this criticism. Despite not sharing your enthusiasm for pie rides, I do recognise that you make some effort to initiate cycling-related discussions in a cycling forum. But really, you're flogging a dead horse, it seems to me.

I do take offence at that remark and accept your apology but This Forum is not hard core cycling and nothing else. There is a social side to it aswell that although may go offtrack with some subjects- they mostly relate to the older people that frequent here and are sometimes amusing or appropriate when they do.

I would say that most topics are cycle related and when I find a posting is not to my liking- then I ignore it after the first glance. That can be done by anyone so if anyone doesn't like or agree with the topic- they can do the same.
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-22-13 at 03:38 PM.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I do take offence at that remark and accept your apology but This Forum is not hard core cycling and nothing else. There is a social side to it aswell that although may go offtrack with some subjects- they mostly relate to the older people that frequent here and are sometimes amusing or appropriate when they do.

I would say that most topics are cycle related and when I find a posting is not to my liking- then I ignore it after the first glance. That can be done by anyone so if anyone doesn't like or agree with the topic- they do the same.
    It's the endless winter doldrums, Stap. Things will pick up when everyone becomes energized by their spring rides. Hang in there!

On another note, I do not understand why those that find this forum so dull and boring insist on coming back over and over again to complain about how dull and boring it is! Their inexplicable persistance in trying to force people to visit other forums has become quite dull and boring. Oh my! That was offensive, wasn't it? Sorry!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

I would say that most topics are cycle related and when I find a posting is not to my liking- then I ignore it after the first glance. That can be done by anyone so if anyone doesn't like or agree with the topic- they can do the same.
    Fair enough. At least on this occasion my giving offence was a matter of calculation.

You are quite right, if one doesn't like it one doesn't have to respond. And I have pretty much come to that conclusion. There seems little prospect of this forum becoming interesting to those whose focus is still on the future, rather than the past. I shall confine myself to the masters racing sub-forum and the other parts of BF that engage with my interest in various aspects of cycling.

Good luck with the pipe, pie and slippers brigade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post

On another note, I do not understand why those that find this forum so dull and boring insist on coming back over and over again to complain about how dull and boring it is! Their inexplicable persistance in trying to force people to visit other forums has become quite dull and boring. Oh my! That was offensive, wasn't it? Sorry!
    To drive people like me away. I sometimes wonder if the recent lack of my drivel has enhanced their Forum experience any.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair enough. At least on this occasion my giving offence was a matter of calculation.

You are quite right, if one doesn't like it one doesn't have to respond. And i have pretty much come to that conclusion. There seems little prospect of this forum becoming interesting to those whose focus is still on the future, rather than the past. I shall confine myself to the masters racing sub-forum and the other parts of bf that engage with my interest in various aspects of cycling.

ttfn!

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno Stapfam but from my perspective this forum is good for general cycling discussion and good solid advice without the ego spasms you get in more youthful venues. I'd post but my little achievements, a PR a few days ago or improvements on my fairing, don't seem like they'd be of much interest here.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    To drive people like me away. I sometimes wonder if the recent lack of my drivel has enhanced their Forum experience any.
    I miss your photo essays, COD. They are always interesting and often beautiful and/or comical. I don't see why the rest of us should be deprived because they may not be to the taste of a few. C'mon, Cranky, rock that Kodak Brownie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... that a small bunch of regulars isn't enough to keep the forum interesting. It simply degenerates into the sort of elderly chit-chat that bores the pants off anyone who is less than fascinated by ....

Trying to figure out why those who are less than fascinated care so much about the chit chat. It's a puzzle.

As for the ob cycling content, I'm finally going to get a fitting next week and see of that will help with the knee pain that's been effectively keeping me sidelined. Been very frustrating to finally have enough light to ride after work, but not being able to do it as in induces too much pain.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm really tired of those who complain about being bored with the tiring posts from boring people that are tired when I'm tired and bored because of the boring tires.

Yessiree.

The weatherhumans predicted a few days ago that this whole weekend was going to be trashed by Jack Frost, but he doesn't get here until Saturday evening. So I'm hitting the road.

After that I'm going bike riding.

My post is really boring. Sorry.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, I think that it's kind of like the jerks who pass you too closely with their cars. Anything you can say or do just rewards them. Ignore him and he'll eventually go away.

Reporting the posts that you find offensive to the mods isn't a bad idea either. That might speed up the going away factor.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. At least on this occasion my giving offence was a matter of calculation.

You are quite right, if one doesn't like it one doesn't have to respond. And I have pretty much come to that conclusion. There seems little prospect of this forum becoming interesting to those whose focus is still on the future, rather than the past. I shall confine myself to the masters racing sub-forum and the other parts of BF that engage with my interest in various aspects of cycling.

If giving offence was deliberate then the forum will be improved by your absence. If that is not the definition of trolling then I don't know what is. And because of that I doubt that we've seen the last of you here.

I think most people on this forum focus on the future in one way or another (although not in every thread), and not just on the narrow theme of how they are working to knock another couple of seconds off their race times.

One of the reasons I joined this site was the humorous, slightly off-centre approach to cycling related (loosely) topics on the 50+ forum. I can get all the boring stuff such as "are brass nipples better than alloy" or "look how pretty my Colnago is" or "Lance Armstrong is a villain/hero" or "look how fast I am" on other bike sites I belong to.

Where else would I go for advice on how to take my parrot on bike rides?
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 03-23-13 at 05:14 AM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well I'm now doing nearly 100 miles a week if I go out 6 days of 7.
    (FYI that currently means about 10 hours of cycling, it will go down.)

Yes the weather is poor and has been since I got my bike, which
    means I expect the experience will become much more pleasant
    as the weather improves, and I expect longer distances will be
    easier in warmer temperatures.

Today I turned around before nearly reaching the end of my eastward
    coastal route, I was doing a very pathetic mph into a very big headwind.

rgds, sreten.

Alternate coastal west and east on my bike rides, (England south coast).
    Last edited by sreten; 03-22-13 at 05:19 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    Hi,

Well I'm now doing nearly 100 miles a week if I go out 6 days of 7.
    (FYI that currently means about 11 hours of cycling.)

Yes the weather is poor and has been since I got my bike, which
    means I expect the experience will become much more pleasant
    as the weather improves, and I expect longer distances will be
    easier in warmer temperatures.

Today I turned round before reaching the end of my eastward
    coastal route, I was doing a pathetic mph into a big headwind.

rgds, sreten.
    Now this is a posting that you should have done as a New Thread. New Rider- New Bike and a slightly unusual one at that. It would be great to be able to follow your progress as you start finding your hills legs and lungs and a few pics of the Pavilion as you struggle with the traffic would not go amiss.

And watch out for tomorrow- That Snow coming down from the North may reach us late afternoon but even if it doesn't- it will still be cold and probably wet. Glad I am off to an indoor Exhibition for the day.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1973 Mercier 200, many Peugeots, MTB Trek Hardtails 800 series.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christ, I got all my cycles ready, then got a foot of snow last week, annoyed to say the least, wont be long though, heck man, F1 started Spring is here....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    If giving offence was deliberate then the forum will be improved by your absence. If that is not the definition of trolling then I don't know what is.
    qft

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay. We're being promised THUNDER SNOW for Saturday night and Sunday... 3 to 6 inches accumulation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny how the age handicapped wannabe racers get so superior. Don't denigrate people just because they aren't in your lofty league of aspirations.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should rename the 50+ forum, "The Pipe, Pie, and Slipper Brigade." It has a nice ring to it; rather prestigious sounding, kind of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle-ish. We can post while wearing our smoking jackets and sipping brandy. We can create a coat of arms for the 50+ jerseys.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These are available in titanium and carbon fiber.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post

These are available in titanium and carbon fiber.
    Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast