Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Uvex helmets

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uvex helmets

My last 2 helmets were Lazer O2 and I REALLY like the retention system and the way they fit.

I got my REI dividend this week and am looking at a couple of Uvex helmets since REI doesn't carry Lazer.

I don't care for the typical retention system that Bell, Giro, LG and others use.
    How does the Uvex retention system work? Anything like Lazer?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea of the phrenology of your skull ... so why don't you go to a local bike shop that stocks Uvex helmets and try one on and if you like it buy it there ?
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some helmets just feel right and I have got into Rudy project as a helmet that is comfortable. The bonus is the retention system as it is so easy to adjust but it is still the comfort that is ultimate. Like you I had a helmet I liked and used for years but they stopped being stocked locally hence the change over to Rudy.

My LBS hates it when I do go for a new helmet as it is all the stock out to find out what i want but I don't think it is coincidental that the last 3 have been Rudy's. Some helmets just fit and feel good.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke View Post
    I have no idea of the phrenology of your skull ... so why don't you go to a local bike shop that stocks Uvex helmets and try one on and if you like it buy it there ?
    When I lived in Atlanta that wouldn't have been a problem. But we moved to Florida 4 months ago and where we live there are no close shops. The 3 that are "close" (20+ miles away) are small shops and none carry Uvex.
    And the relevant phrase in my original post was "my REI dividend". That's cash that is only good at REI.

So, any Uvex helmet users out there?
    Last edited by RonH; 03-23-13 at 07:41 AM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I'd stop trying to get an unknown with my free points since that just doesn't make sense. Use your points for something you know.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    When I lived in Atlanta that wouldn't have been a problem. But we moved to Florida 4 months ago and where we live there are no close shops. The 3 that are "close" (20+ miles away) are small shops and none carry Uvex.
    And the relevant phrase in my original post was "my REI dividend". That's cash that is only good at REI.

So, any Uvex helmet users out there?
    Having met you I know you are smart enough to go down to the LBS to see them if that was possible. You can't go see Uvex anywhere around here either. They do look like nice helmets.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet, but I will be buying one this year. We carried them at the bike shop the year before last and I loved them. (I don't know why the owner didn't continue with them. It might have been the price.) They fit my head really well, they were very comfortable and they had some great features. The straps can be adjusted with ratchet system, there is a soft absorbent fabric covering the chin strap, there is a bug screen on the front vents, they had good head coverage and they were light weight. All in all, good German design!
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Seceur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a dividend to spend, and was looking at a new helmet. However it looks like REI is discontinuing the Uvex line, so it's unlikely we'll find any on the store. I don't feel comfortable buying a helmet without trying it on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer View Post
    I don't feel comfortable buying a helmet without trying it on.
    If you must mail-order due to remoteness or lack of selection, buy it from a retailer that has a good returns policy so you can send it back. I've done this many times with items that didn't fit or otherwise meet my expectations. In a few cases, I ordered two sized and returned the one didn't fit.