Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 Days of Biking

Poking around on Facebook one day, following links, I came across this page https://www.facebook.com/30daysofbiking?fref=pb
    and on a whim I took the pledge. So now I am going to ride my bike everyday in April, rain or shine, or, the way this year is going, snow. It doesn't have to be a long ride, one guy said he rode his bike up & down his driveway one day just to not miss a day.
    On the website, http://30daysofbiking.com/ there is a map of the world with a blue dot for everybody who has pledged - every continent, except Antarctica (what's their excuse?!) is accounted for.

I'm looking forward to April! Anyone else in? :-)
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well make sure that some of the rides are at a very leisurely pace to take the place of "rest days"(days OFF the bike).
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could! Business travel will limit my riding.

A friend of mine does this every year, he really likes the benefits. He enjoys all his longer rides after building a base in April.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-23-13 at 09:32 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    trek 520 1995
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss Jean
    I'm thnking about committing.....I hate the cold

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. I'm in and I'm asking my club members to join me. I like the low key tone of it. Ride every day. Any distance. Any destination. Any reason.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a tougher version. I also signed up for this one, but I'm much less sure of success.
    http://app.strava.com/challenges/spr...om-specialized

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss Jean -

At the beginning of the year, I made a goal of doing at least my short, 3.9 miles, neighborhood loop 2 out of every 3 days. I hope to keep this up for the whole year. This seems to be a bit more feasible to me - there are some days when I'm out of town or busy all day.

So far, it's the 82nd day of the year (March 23), I've been on the bike 57 days, and ridden 845 miles. Longest ride so far this year is 43.5 miles and the shortest is 0.9 miles when I couldn't deal with 35 mph winds and turned around. The second shortest is 3.9 miles.

Next week will be a challenge as it's supposed to snow all day Monday, Tuesday is a busy day for me, and I'm out of town Wednesday-Friday. For sure, I'll be riding tomorrow!

- Ed

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ick. It preserves the Earth? The earth will do just fine whether any of us rides or not.

If it were for a more meaningful cause I'd consider it. It sounds like fun, in a guilt-appeasing way.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dudelsack, if something bad happens to the Earth on May 1st we all will know who is to blame, now won't we.

;-). for the humor impaired
    Last edited by missjean; 03-23-13 at 09:28 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright BlueDawg! Groth good for you - with this lousy weather we've been having this winter it could not have been easy to get out as many days as you have. corcal93 - a couple of extra layers maybe to keep you warm??

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried this last year and March was my best month:

Mar. 2012: 31 days ridden (987 miles, 54,229 ft. of elevation gain)
    Aug. 2012: 30 days ridden (936 miles with 44,334 ft. of elevation gain).
    Sep. 2012 I only rode 25 days but got more miles and elevation (1,023 miles, 67,273 ft. of elevation gain)
    Oct. 2012 wasn't too bad with 28 days ridden (779 miles, 45,799 ft. of elevation gain).

So far this year Jan. was my best month with 27 days ridden (684 mies, 35,158 ft. of elevation gain).

Rick / OCRR

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Here is a tougher version. I also signed up for this one, but I'm much less sure of success.
    That's tempting... our local cyclocross champion signed up for that and I've no doubt he will make it. I'm going to shoot for a 600 mile month I think. I do need the miles though!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post
    Well Dudelsack, if something bad happens to the Earth on May 1st we all will know who is to blame, now won't we.

;-). for the humor impaired
    I thought it was funny, with or without the emoticon

Dont get me wrong, I dig the Earth.

What amazes me is the mileage you folks turn in. For me a banner month is 300+ miles, and a yearly goal I've yet to achieve is 3000 miles.

This year my mileage will be down because I'm trying to get my wayward daughter into road cycling. I've done everything but have Sean Lowe autograph her jersey to make it fun for her. She whined the entire time on our 10 miler yesterday.

Also, I still live a journeyman's life.

If any of you are employed and are not empty nesters, ie have teenage children, and are not divorced....how do you get the mileage in?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get up at 4AM, get out and ride before sunrise. Of course, if I want a decent amount of sleep, 7 or 8 hours, I have to go to bed by 8 or 9 PM.

No teen children but have a son and DIL living with us(daughter lives in SC and going to school), a wife(who is a second grade teacher) and I work as a sub, usually 3 or 4 days/week(often 4)--we have a large school system.

===================================

Back to the topic: 30 days straight and no rest? Make sure 2 days per week are an easy pace and easy gear(and not a long distance) to give your muscles some relief/rest.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 03-24-13 at 09:50 AM.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Get up at 4AM, get out and ride before sunrise. Of course, if I want a decent amount of sleep, 7 or 8 hours, I have to go to bed by 8 or 9 PM.

No teen children but have a son and DIL living with us(daughter lives in SC and going to school), a wife(who is a second grade teacher) and I work as a sub, usually 3 or 4 days/week(often 4)--we have a large school system.

===================================

Back to the topic: 30 days straight and no rest? Make sure 2 days per week are an easy pace and easy gear(and not a long distance) to give your muscles some relief/rest.
    It would make me a better cyclist, I'm certain of that. But on that schedule my hobby would start to seem more like a job.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    It would make me a better cyclist, I'm certain of that. But on that schedule my hobby would start to seem more like a job.
    Try it before you knock it.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you are employed and are not empty nesters, ie have teenage children, and are not divorced....how do you get the mileage in?
    I'm employed, divorced, and have custody of my two sons, ages 7 and 9. I haven't been getting in lots of miles but that's mostly due to physical issues. Some things that have been helpful: a babysitter (daughter or son of another rider) for the Wednesday night group ride; working at home occasionally and riding during a mid-day break; coming home early sometimes and riding before I pick the kids up; riding for an hour on the trainer before they get up or after they go to bed; riding lots on the (alternate) weekends or other times when the when the boys are with their mom.

If I were married I would try to trade off parenting time with a supportive spouse, giving her time to do her thing in exchange for me to have time to ride. Even under the best of circumstances, I think it's very difficult to put in lots of miles when there are young kids living at home. But even as little as 8 hours a week (eg, a four-hour ride on the weekend and four 1-hour rides during the week) may be do-able and--if done right--could give you some good riding fitness.

As for riding every day in a specific month, except for the novelty and some small bragging rights, I don't see the real goal of it. But if others want to do it, more power to them. Any reason that motivates people to ride more often is a good thing.
    Last edited by climberguy; 03-24-13 at 03:00 PM.
    And I did it all clean.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Try it before you knock it.
    I'm not knocking it.

I'd try it tomorrow but with the snow that's projected, I'll pass for the moment.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 03-24-13 at 04:36 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ick. It preserves the Earth? The earth will do just fine whether any of us rides or not.

If it were for a more meaningful cause I'd consider it. It sounds like fun, in a guilt-appeasing way.
    Do it or not, but don't use a lame cop out like that. I'm doing it just to do it. I don't need a cause. If anything, I'm just doing it as a bit of easy self discipline.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do it or not, but don't use a lame cop out like that. I'm doing it just to do it. I don't need a cause. If anything, I'm just doing it as a bit of easy self discipline.
    OK, fine, ride your bike every day because you're a fine fellow, and I won't because I'm a lazy slug. Go for it and be well.

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might try that one. Did my first commute of the year today, and I survived, so April has to be better.

It's only a short commute, but it was rather nice.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it Boudicca!

If next weeks forecast is correct and not a April Fools joke, a 60% chance of rain on April 1st will make it bit of a challenge!

My Bikes
    91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the 30DOB twice before. I normally ride 5 times per week so it was easy to add 2 more days per week that normally would have been rest days. On the 2 additional days I would do short rides around my neighborhood and purposely went after dark just for something different. It's a fun easy challenge.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, fine, ride your bike every day because you're a fine fellow, and I won't because I'm a lazy slug. Go for it and be well.
    This lazy slug is likely to have a day or a few where I ride less than a mile, maybe considerably less, just to keep the streak alive.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...I have a hard enough time with my local club's 500 Miles in May challenge (get it? 500 miles in May in Indiana?).
    Craig in Indy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast