Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else get dizzy when they stand quickly?

I've noticed this a lot more recently. After sitting or lying down for a while I get very lightheaded when I first stand up. My blood pressure is as good or better than ever. From what I found on the internet (of course it's never wrong) maybe my heart is getting stronger and my HR even slower. That could make sense with the increased exercise over the last several months. I also wonder how my dehydration plays in it.

I used not have the issue but I did really notice it while riding in the higher elevations of Colorado and leaning over to grab my water bottle. It really makes me wonder how bad it's going to be this summer.......

(btw, the scales were very kind to me this morning and only read 169. Just 4 more lbs to get to my all time low for over 20 years. Makes me wonder if I can get to 160???)

Here is one article that I found on a Sportsmedicine site:

If you exercise often and are in good shape you might occasionally experience dizziness and lightheadedness when you stand up quickly. This is generally nothing serious, and occurs due to a slow heart rate.
    Cardiovascular exercise makes your heart stronger and a stronger heart has a larger stroke volume. That is, the amount of blood pumped out during each beat is greater, so the heart doesn't have to beat as often. A slow pulse rate is an indication of a strong, healthy heart. However, a slow heart rate can sometimes lead to dizziness when you change position.

When you stand up quickly gravity pulls blood from your brain towards your feet and blood doesn't return to the brain until the next heart beat. With a slow pulse, this takes a second or two and that is enough time to feel the lack of oxygen in the symptom of lightheadedness or dizziness. It is also related to something called postural hypotension. This results from a decrease in blood flow to the brain, due to a drop in blood pressure upon standing up.

As long as it occurs only occasionally, you don't really need to worry. If you have constant and severe dizziness with changing position you should see a doctor to rule out an underlying condition such as an irregular heartbeat.

Quick Tip: If you have a slow pulse (50 or less) and experience dizziness when standing up try getting up more slowly and see if that solves the problem.
    Ride your Ride!!

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take this up with your doctor since there could be severe problems going on for you.

Oh yes, asking here is folly since only a doctor can help you not the jailhouse advice you'll get here.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been told by my docs that this is due to a drop in blood pressure. I have experienced it after topping a hill, or stopping at a light after a hard run, and my HR and BP recovery "overshoots". This got them to take me off one of the BP med's I was on.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue. It started when I began riding my bike to work everyday, and my fitness level improved. Resting pulse is in the low 40's.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any problems getting up from lying down, but I do get dizzy getting up after having been bent over for any period of time.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not medical advice; but when I'm conditioned-up for the season, I also get light-headed if I stand too quickly. The symptom may indicate a problem or it may not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Take this up with your doctor since there could be severe problems going on for you.

Oh yes, asking here is folly since only a doctor can help you not the jailhouse advice you'll get here.
    With all respect intended, I think there is a difference between asking for advice and taking it. I tend to view asking for information as the OP did is more of a "thinking things through" before talking with medical professionals. It can give you some language and concepts that may be useful when you have the discussion with medical personnel.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I've noticed this a lot more recently. After sitting or lying down for a while I get very lightheaded when I first stand up. My blood pressure is as good or better than ever.
    This is known as "orthostatic hypotension." It is not uncommon, and not generally dangerous as long as it resolves quickly and you don't lose consciousness. Certain medications, particularly blood pressure medications and cardiac rate control mediactions can exacerbate the problem, as can dehydration. If you have a sphygmomanometer (aka "blood pressure cuff") at home you can check orthostatic vitals signs by checking your blood pressure and heart rate while lying down, while sitting, and while standing. Allow a minute or so between position changes for your body to equilibrate. A drop of 20mmHg in blood pressure and/or increase of 20bpm heart rate can indicate enough of a problem to ask your doctor for advice.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that happen quite often but only once have I passed out because of it. Esp. after a challenging ride I get those symptoms but overall, no harm done.

I'm not on any meds, so it must be normal for me.

Just takes me a second or two to return to normal.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-25-13 at 04:30 PM.

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the time... but it's a side effect of the meds I take for my CHF. I have learned to live with it. That said I have a reason for the problem. It sounds like you do not. Run... no walk.... no ride slowly to your doc. It's NOT a normal thing for most everybody.

Good luck.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me frequently after I started to lose weight but was still on my doctor's prescribed hypertension med. It was always worse within about 3-4 hours of having exercised. After coming this ---><--- close to passing out in a Home Depot the afternoon following a long morning ride, my doctor cut the meds in half, then ultimately took me off of them.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Started as long ago as I can remember, since 5 or 6 years old? Orthostatic hypotension. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

My Bikes
    LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

True, but doctors don't bat 1.000. You are your best advocate and any information, especially if it comes from someone with the same symptoms, has some value. I have a spinal condition that cycling brings pain relief to. Thought I was alone in that, but a recent post on this forum revealed a few people in the same situation. Of course the Dr. should be the final advice, but IMO there is some good stuff coming from these Forums. Just take it for what it's worth.

I have almost fainted while coaching basketball. Usually a combination of rising from the catchers type position I assume frequently in front of the bench, to a standing position. Combine this with the tension or what have you of the moment, and it can happen. There have been some college coaches in the past experience this. Thinking Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski had an "episode" like this. Probably a lot different than in a physical exercise type moment. But take it for what it's worth!

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not had this issue, but see a doc.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Check out my 43.5 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/218575771

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    With all respect intended, I think there is a difference between asking for advice and taking it. I tend to view asking for information as the OP did is more of a "thinking things through" before talking with medical professionals. It can give you some language and concepts that may be useful when you have the discussion with medical personnel.
    +1 (Well Said!)

A physician is as much a detective as anything else: there can be a LOT of different things causing what you describe. Discussion here can provide some possibilities that you can test on yourself (i.e., "it only happens when I..."). The more high quality information you can give your physician the more likely it is that he will be able provide a correct diagnosis the first time.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past when I have been in the best condition of my life, I suffered with this stand up dizzy thing. My HR was in the 40s along with very low blood pressure. I used to consider this a condition of excellence. Now that I am old(er) and my HR and BP are more normal, I don't suffer from this anymore. So much for the old and slow set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my forties (im 58 now) I had a job where bending down and working was the norm.When I stood straight up i became light headed for a moment.In my fifties I don't have this problem.The only med I take is Lipitor.And I didn't take it when I was in the forties SooI have no idea how this went away.maybe its riding a bike more I really don't know.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else get dizzy when they stand quickly?

Yes, in fact last fall I stood up quickly from my armchair made it to the kitchen and woke up a fraction of a second before hitting the floor face first. Thank goodness for that fraction and break-fall reactions. I was worried until I decided it was a low resting heart rate - under 40 when most of my life it was 70 or 80. I could be wrong and it's an actual problem but I don't think so. I'd just had a checkup including heart and everything was roses. Your milage may vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine began after my first surgery in 2000, stuck with me ever since. My doctor schooled me on how to get up from both seated and lying prone to avoid meeting the floor more often. Only passed out 2 times, I flat killed an ironing board and scared our daughter half to death first time ( first renal failure and severe dehydration, ended up in ICU.) Not really serious, usually but as said be careful and let the doctor know what is going on. I have had a fairly low heart rate since I was a teenager, gave the flight surgeons and corpsmen fits until they talked to an FS Cardiologist. I am usually in the mid-low 50s and I only hit 100+/- when I am riding hard.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My resting HR is in the low 40s, but I don't get the dizziness problem. However, I don't train to exhaustion.
    Be aware that low resting HR does not always mean fitness as it can be caused by a combination of fitness and a sinus (SA) node deterioration as we age. i.e the heart's electrical sytem is not giving the right signals. If the dizziness worries you, see a cardiologist.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have orthostatic hypotension but it isn't normally frequent or severe. Once in a while I have gotten a particularly bad case after riding hard for 10 or fifteen miles. I feel the symptoms coming on and have to stop and lay down for about 5 or 10 minutes. I keep hydrated and stopped Flomax (for BPH) which exacerbated the problem but I have not found any answers for how to avoid it entirely. It worries me that it might get worse as I age.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anemia can cause dizziness.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Very well said. As others have said, forum input helps someone narrow down their specific problem and it helps hearing other experiences. Going to see a doctor involves a personal decision - you don't go for very single little issue and when you do, it's critical to maximum the time. Most appointments involve a ten minute personal conversation at the most.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I too have orthostatic hypotension but it isn't normally frequent or severe. Once in a while I have gotten a particularly bad case after riding hard for 10 or fifteen miles. I feel the symptoms coming on and have to stop and lay down for about 5 or 10 minutes. I keep hydrated and stopped Flomax (for BPH) which exacerbated the problem but I have not found any answers for how to avoid it entirely. It worries me that it might get worse as I age.
    You may have orthostatic hypotension -- but the stuff you described is not. Talk to your physician about it when you see him next...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always check with your doctor on things like that to be sure there isn't another cause. My dizzyness issues are a bit the opposite. I can get very light headed after a high intensity workout. It's never when I'm working hard but after. I first noticed it while stretching after spin classes. I had a full cardiac workup as my doc discovered I have a left bundle branch block. That's really not the cause but it gave me the chance to discuss it with my cardiologist. He mainly hammered me on hydration and to make sure I was including electrolytes rather than just water. I've paid more attention to my hydration and have noticed it's made a big difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast