Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few pix from the day.

We got some flats and had some mechanical issues, but it was a great day! The guy on the bottom is Stefan ... 155 miles and 18,000 feet into his odyssey through the San Gabriel Mountains.

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post

Times wise, Joe Dombrowski went up at 12.1 mph whereas I was a snail-like 5.2 mph.

Here's a link to Joe talking about the climb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3I1WY-jjSc

He rode for Livestrong last year, rides for SKY this year.

Rick / OCRR
    Yeah, but Joe is less than half your age. So you guys are about equal.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Yeah, but Joe is less than half your age. So you guys are about equal.
    Thanks for the thought BikeWNC, But even back when I was Joe's age, I wasn't that fast. Guess that's why he's a pro and I never was!

Just to add my 2 cents to the report, and not rely on Garmin or Strava . . . It was a beautiful day on the mountain with sunny skies and clear air, so great views off both sides of the mountain. We had the whole group who met at Boulder Springs, plus Vertical Bob changed his group to a 7:30 meeting time at Encanto Park, so they would have time to ride over and meet the rest of us at Boulder Springs by 8:00.

Trojan Horse,Peter, Genero and Andrew at the start.jpgLeft to Right, Trojan Horse (Sean), Peter, Genero and Andrew pre-start. Click to enlarge.

Part of Our Group on the first climb.jpgPart of our group on the first climb, Glendora Mountain Road. Click to enlarge.

Which just about worked. Lou Ann was late getting to Encanto (driving up just as the cyclists were riding off), so she had to play catch up for the first part of the morning.

Same thing for Lauretta and Chris, except Lauretta did call me while I was driving to Boulder Springs and advised to "Just take off without us and we'll catch up." So we did, and they did. The first miles to the Shed (9 miles, all but one short decent climbing miles). I rode mostly with Victor (Bike395) and Sal, but also with Sean (Trojan Horse) and Sal's friend James Lee.

At the shed we had a huge gathering (see Vic's photos above) and photo opportunity . . . except . . . after just a few shots at the start, my camera gave me the message CARD FULL. So my camera was dead. Victor's, on the other hand, had dead batteries. So, I gave the good batteries out of my camera To Vic, so you all could enjoy the photos above!

Sylvia Maddock and John Nguyen had started early, but we caught up to them at The Shed. They departed after the photos were taken, while the rest of us stayed a bit longer, eventually greeting Dr. Jerry Brown and Teresa Beck (both of whom had started late). Also, Lou Ann caught up so we had, bascially, eveyone together, at least for a short time.

Photo of Glendora Ridge Road by Ron:
    Glendora Ridge Road by Ron.jpgClick to enlarge

From The Shed we made the easy transition from Glendora Mountain Road to Glendora Ridge Road. I had started off with Lou Ann but soon got ahead of her, riding the rolling hills and twisty turns of GRR. At Cow Saddle I caught up with Sylvia and she advised that John, Andrew and Peter were well ahead. Yes, they were! We saw Andrew and Peter climbing out of Mt. Baldy Village as we began our descent (1 mile descent into The Village from Cow Saddle).

Someone, not sure who, got a great photo of Sylvia outside of Mt. Baldy Lodge:
    Sylvia at Mt. Baldy Lodge March 2013.jpgClick to enlarge,

Arriving at Mt. Baldy Village brought us to the half-way point for some and the "almost" half way point for the rest of us. Before attempting to ride the Ski Lift Climb, some of us fueled up at The Lodge. I had one of Missy's World Famous Cinnamon Rolls and a couple cups of coffee while others enjoyed the breakfast of their choice. Lauretta (Laurettafetta) ordered a HUGE breakfast, but really, half of it was for Chris (CalamariChris), who had been delayed helping Sean (Trojan Horse) with his flat tires.

All that done, and a good amount of visiting, several of us set off for the Ski Lift Climb. This is the one I mentioned in a previous post, but just to review, it's 2,000 ft. of climbing in 4.6 miles. When the pros rode this in the Tour of California, it was rated "Beyond Category" otherwise simply known as "Brutal."

Still, it is do-able, albeit at much slower speeds than the pros! I started up with Sal, but he was much stonger than me so was soon out of sight up the road. He rode with me to Ice House Saddle, since he'd never done this climb before and didn't want to miss the turn there.

Aside from the pretty constant 12% grade, and the final ramp at 18%, it was a slow but otherwise beautiful climb. I did pass John Nguyen, who was walking the 18% part (as did Keith, who attempted this climb on a single speed - not fixed, but had to walk the last bit), but it's the kind of thing that once you accept the suffering . . . it is do-able . . .and fun, in a "Brutal Rewards of Cycling" kind of way.

Here's a photo of John and Sal at the top of the 18% bit (the rest from here is an easy 4% to the parking lot summit):
    Sal and John at the Ski Lifts.jpgClick to enlarge.
    James Lee at Ski Lift Summit.jpgHere is James Lee after his first climb to the Ski Lift Summit!

The descent from the Ski Lifts is rather steep, of course, and many riders stay on the brakes all the way down. The switch backs that we were riding at 5 mph on the way up look rather different when you approach them at 20+ on the way down! Lauretta (always a fearless descender) flew past me, while I eventually passed James and caught up with Sal.

I stopped at the Trout Pond (just above Mt. Baldy VillageA) where Chris was kind of enough to buy me a bottle of water, so that took care of my hydration needs for the rest of the ride. Back in Baldy Village we found Stefan working on this wheel, which had come out of true), and several folks decided to have lunch there as well.

Whereas, on the other hand, I was ready to head back, hoping to catch some of the riders who had skipped the extra fun of the ski lift climb. Not likely, though, since (for me) the Ski Lift climb takes about an hour (okay, 54 minutes according to Strava) up and maybe 15 minutes to coast down, so no, it wasn't really likely that I would catch anyone.

I did meet up with Anny Beck (who was riding in the opposite direction) and talked to her for awhile before heading back to Glendora.

There were enough ride options up on the mountain that I'm sure everyone's ride report will be a bit different. I know Laura, Lou Ann and Victor took Little GMR to Camp Williams, then to East Fork and Hwy 39, maybe heading for Crystal Lake after that? Vic can fill us in on that.

Overall a wonderful ride with great people, amazing scenery and perfect weather. It just doesn't get much better!

Rick / OCRR

PS: Sorry about the upside down thumnail below. How do I delete it? Anyone know? Please advise if so! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-31-13 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Trying to delete thumbnail

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Group Shot from The Ride.jpgJust FYI, from Victor's (Biker395) shot above, left to right, TrojanHorse (Sean), James Lee, Stefan (in the bright yellow jacket, also in the last of Vic's photos, nice close up!), Laura (longandstrong), Lou Ann Montalvo, Molly, Teresa Beck, me (Rick@OCRR), don't remember who the next guy is . . .then Lauretta (laurettafetta), David Hartman, Genero and Chris (calamarichris).

The other close-up (2nd from bottom in Vic's photos) is Lou Ann Montalvo. Upper photo (2nd from top) adds Peter Chen, Sylvia Maddock, me, the guy I can't remember, Yuji, Andrew May and John Nguyen.

3rd photo from the top is Steve, Keith (who rode the whole thing on a single speed) and Ron.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 04-01-13 at 09:41 PM.

My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing link to this ride report. I have ridden to the village once back in October with a group from the C/A forum
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's Rick, in the yellow, up near Baldy Village.

That's M.E. on the left and the lady with her back to the camera might be Tiffany. Next is Jason, then Cleave and Rick.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Group Shot from The Ride.jpgJust FYI, from Victor's (Biker395) shot above, left to right, TrojanHorse (Sean), James Lee, Stefan (in the bright yellow jacket, also in the last of Vic's photos, nice close up!), Laura (longandstrong), Lou Ann Montalvo, Molly, Teresa Beck, me (Rick@OCRR), don't remember who the next guy is . . .

Rick / OCRR
    That's Donato, a member of my club and an acomplished rider.
    Last edited by big john; 04-03-13 at 03:13 PM.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a lot greener up there now than it was last July. Someday I must go up when there's more coolness and water isn't such a big issue. There seem to be no available domestiques that are slow enough to hang back with me on the climb. I did like GMR a lot because it isn't relentlessly the same grade all the time... and the switchbacks and little patches of shade are nice. Nice ride photos guys!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more photos of this ride, and photos of the scenery in the area over on the SoCal forum. Photos by CalimariChris.

Here's a link: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...0-amp-31/page2

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks billydonn, Will look for Steve tomorrow morning!
    Just saw this thread. Couldn't come as I'm up in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho this week doing some cycling and checking out possible places for retiremenet, (still 5 or 6 years off).

My conditioning is pretty poor this Spring, but I'm working on it. I really, really want to assault and defeat the ski lifts this year.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    Just saw this thread. Couldn't come as I'm up in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho this week doing some cycling and checking out possible places for retiremenet, (still 5 or 6 years off).

My conditioning is pretty poor this Spring, but I'm working on it. I really, really want to assault and defeat the ski lifts this year.
    I'm going up there with a group this Saturday. I might go to the ski lifts, but probably not. The rest of the ride is fun and there's plenty of climbing and that 4 mile climb with 2000 feet of gain is a bit much. I've been to the ski lifts more than once and it doesn't do anything for me, really.
    It's just a struggle to get up there and the descent is perilous. Let the young whippets have it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    big john[/B];15468732] Let the young whippets have it.
    I know I'm older than you big john, so I'm no "young whippet" (@ 63 not young, @ 160 lbs. not a whippet) and I love the climb to the Ski Lifts. Yes, it is a struggle and it is a brutal climb, but in a fun / challenge sort of way.

volosong Just saw this thread. Couldn't come as I'm up in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho
    Sorry you missed it but hopefully you'll see us on the mountain sometime soon!

billydonn, Looks a lot greener up there now than it was last July
    Yes, we have had some rain and snow up there, so it does look green in the photos, however, the brown and tan are more representative for most of the year.

big john, The lady with her back to the camera might be Tiffany.
    Yes, that is Tiffany. I rode up GMR/GRR with her and met BikeWNC, Mary Elizabeth and friends near Cow Canyon Saddle.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 04-04-13 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm older than you big john, so I'm no "young whippet" (@ 63 not young, @ 160 lbs. not a whippet)
    Rick / OCRR
    Yes, you're a few years older but you're also 45 pounds lighter.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Yes, you're a few years older but you're also 45 pounds lighter.
    It really isn't even sporting to do these things if you don't weigh 200 lbs is it? I'll bring a backpack full of bricks for some of you.

Ed Note: Volosong (Steve) rode in Yellowstone yesterday with roads closed to cars... a ride that is on my bucket list! I hate him

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    It really isn't even sporting to do these things if you don't weigh 200 lbs is it? I'll bring a backpack full of bricks for some of you.

Ed Note: Volosong (Steve) rode in Yellowstone yesterday with roads closed to cars... a ride that is on my bucket list! I hate him
    That sounds like a fun ride! Biker395 has done a ride in the Yosemite high country when the roads are closed to cars and there is snow piled up along the way. Maybe he'll put up a picture.

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's Rick, in the yellow, up near Baldy Village.

Aargh! I look fat in that photo. OK, maybe I was. Mybe I still am.

That was my only face-to-face encounter with BikeWNC but we discovered that we grew up in the same area at about the same time before heading off to vastly different parts of the country.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    Aargh! I look fat in that photo. OK, maybe I was. Mybe I still am.

That was my only face-to-face encounter with BikeWNC but we discovered that we grew up in the same area at about the same time before heading off to vastly different parts of the country.
    Ha, Cleave, yes we grew up not far from each other at all. Cleave's parents even had a restaurant in my hometown. I do miss being able to ride with your group of Cali cyclists. You guys were very friendly and made me feel welcome and right at home. I really do hope I can make it out there again very soon to join the group, perhaps on one of the organized rides that are so popular.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, Cleave, yes we grew up not far from each other at all. Cleave's parents even had a restaurant in my hometown. I do miss being able to ride with your group of Cali cyclists. You guys were very friendly and made me feel welcome and right at home. I really do hope I can make it out there again very soon to join the group, perhaps on one of the organized rides that are so popular.
    Around that time there were a lot of Bike Forum rides, many organized by M.E. I remember when you were here and Jason put it together. I don't remember why I wasn't there but I had some other ride to attend. Jason spoke highly of you and said he had a fun time. Haven't seen him in ages and rarely hear of BF rides. I did hear that M.E. is riding again after being off the bike for some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around that time there were a lot of Bike Forum rides, many organized by M.E. I remember when you were here and Jason put it together. I don't remember why I wasn't there but I had some other ride to attend. Jason spoke highly of you and said he had a fun time. Haven't seen him in ages and rarely hear of BF rides. I did hear that M.E. is riding again after being off the bike for some time.
    Well, Jason has moved to Ames, Iowa where he works at Iowa State Univ. We trade posts on FB from time to time but I don't think he has a lot of time to ride these days. M.E. is riding again, with Herb and that group I think. SoCal has such great terrain to ride. I just wish there was less traffic getting around! I'll get out that way again for sure. I'd like to try one of the spring rides, maybe next year.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a fun ride! Biker395 has done a ride in the Yosemite high country when the roads are closed to cars and there is snow piled up along the way. Maybe he'll put up a picture.
    Sure! This was from Olmstead Point. This is really a sweet ride, and one that should be on everyone's bucket list!

www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Sure! This was from Olmstead Point. This is really a sweet ride, and one that should be on everyone's bucket list!

Is that a special event or do they do it every year? Are the roads closed specifically for bikes? What is the name of the event? I've talked to rangers in the Smokies about doing a charity ride for the Park but there are some restrictions with being able to close the roads. It's possible but there are some logistics to overcome.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a special event. Snowplowing Tioga Pass takes a long time, and CalTrans has made a habit out of finishing the plowing, but leaving open to bikes only for a few days before it opens to autos. I actually read about it in a WSJ article, and thought ... hey ... I gotta try that!

Since the time it takes to plow varies from year to year and CalTrans' schedule, it's pretty much impossible to plan the trip. They announce when 120 will open a week or so in advance, and ya gotta jump on it. It IS worth it!
    www.photo395.com

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of you are having totally too much fun and are completely disgusting, and I am jealous of each and every ride and picture. Vic, your pics are great, so are all the others here. It is great to see other 50+ members on rides with so much beautiful places being used. Some day.......................

<--- Bill on bike crashing, but having fun!!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    All of you are having totally too much fun and are completely disgusting, and I am jealous of each and every ride and picture. Vic, your pics are great, so are all the others here. It is great to see other 50+ members on rides with so much beautiful
    Bill
    True Bill, There are lots of amazing places to ride in California in general and Southern CA in these examples (Tioga is more Central CA). and we do have too much fun, you're right.

On the negative side though, we have horrible traffic to drive in to get to these rides (okay, not bad in the morning, but usually awful in the afternoon/evening). Unless, like Stefan, we ride to the start and home from the finish. But there aren't many like Stefan!

Next time you're out this way send a PM to Victor and myself and we'll take you on some great cycling roads!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going up there with a group this Saturday. I might go to the ski lifts, but probably not. The rest of the ride is fun and there's plenty of climbing and that 4 mile climb with 2000 feet of gain is a bit much. I've been to the ski lifts more than once and it doesn't do anything for me, really.
    It's just a struggle to get up there and the descent is perilous. Let the young whippets have it.
    O.K., Rick, you would have been proud of me. I went all the way to the ski lifts without stopping! First time I was able to do that. Don't know why I decided to go all the way up but I felt pretty good.
    We started at Encanto park and went up via East Fork. Beautiful out there today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast