User Tag List

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating Myself up Over Not Doing a 200K on Saturday

OK, so I had planned to do a 200K brevet this last Saturday. Trained for it and already had done a couple of organized centuries this year.

At the end of Febuary I got a bad sore throat and thought I had the flu. At that time Flu tests and strep throat tests both came back negative but the doctor said yeah, your throat and upper respiratory system has an infection. Ten days of antibiotics and felt OK, but not quite right. But did not alter any of my training, so maybe I over did it.

Late last week I started feeling a sore throat coming on again and was really feeling run down. Got up early Saturday morning all ready for the 200K. Just felt worse, looked at the forecast and yes the forecasted high for Saturday was 100F....actually got to 102F officially and was windy. Just did not feel up for it and with the heat; so backed out at the last second.

So what did I do? Since I felt guilty about not riding the 200K I went ahead and rode with my regular group on Saturday (50 miles) and rode another 60 miles on Sunday when the temps were now in the 50s, wind gust of 50+ MPH and rain...yeah the weather in TX can change that fast, less than 12 hours. Yes, I'm crazy.

Monday morning went to work, felt crappy and went to the doctor. Guess what? Tested positive for strep throat without ever running a fever! Shots and some anibiotics and I already feel like a new person.

So now I don't feel guilty for backing out of the 200K but kinda think I'm an idiot for not listening to my body...oh well, guess I'm a bit addicted to the cycling to the point of overdoing it.

Next month I have a chance to do the 200K or a 300K just need to remind myself there is always a chance to accomplish what I want in the future.

Guess the moral is to listen to your body, when something does not feel right, need to remind myself next time.

Richard
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they say in the movie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, "Everything works out in the end so if it isn't working out, it isn't the end yet."

I like that!
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,
    Don't beat upon yourself so much, that is what we are here for. I'd say you were right not riding the 200K and for going in to the doctor and getting things diagnosed. A throat infection, especially a strep infection can easily spread and cause you larger problems I can guarantee you do not want to deal with. I have and it sucks having IV antibiotic infusions twice a day, 7 days a week for 6 weeks. Cure seems worse than the illness. One thing I have taken away from all the crap I had to deal with in 16 surgeries, countless procedures and permanent renal failure, is to listen to exactly what the body tells you and do that, saying to harden up and tough it out is easy, overcoming illnesses made worse by hard headedness is futility. Hope all is well for you soon. Spring is near by and the usual 100 temps for Texas will be broiling you brain, again.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    As they say in the movie, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, "Everything works out in the end so if it isn't working out, it isn't the end yet."

I like that!
    Skilsaw also like the quote, never heard of tthe movie

Thanks
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, as usual, you make some excellent observations. You're right my hard head often gets in the way....must be that engineering mentality...which you understand

Sometimes I think I'm invincible because I rarely get sick. I'm going to try and not be so stubborn in the future, notice i said "try".

Anyway, now that spring is here it will be summer by next week in south TX, we tend to skip spring here. Hope everyone else starts to warm up.

Thanks,
    Richard

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey man I've always had to deal with allergy setbacks when getting ready for centuries. Some areas are worse than others and Texas had the most foliage that would hit me right in the sinuses when I rode past it....ragweed, mesquite, and maize was the worst. Sometimes I got Kenalog shots up the nose just to ride a century because the antibiotics wouldn't finish it off and sometimes I just had to cancel until the next one came up. Sinusitis will set you back if you're inclined to get it.

Definitely don't beat yourself up for cancelling any kind of double because if you aren't tip top for it you will be a-struggling to finish I'll bet. I've never taken on even a metric double myself.
    Last edited by Zinger; 03-28-13 at 03:29 AM.