User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I decided to check out Strava ...

Aloha everyone,

I just turned 50 in January, and late last year, decided to take a look at my bike. I bought a Colnago Master X-Light in 2002, but was struck by an SUV in 2006 and did not get back on the bike until this past January. Needless to say, having kept my Colnago outside in the shed, a bit of corrosion had set in. I had the frame painted and some of the small parts replaced, then got back on the road.

When I first started riding, it was readily apparent that I was woefully so far out of shape that it might take a major miracle to even think about riding a metric century. But, as the saying goes, "it's just like riding a bicycle" - I started to get better and better, until I was able to "not feel the bike beneath me" on a couple of rides. I got in tune with my bike and could have kept on going and going, until the next stop light/sign, that is.

Anyway, I had heard about Strava and was intrigued by the idea of riding a particular route, then being able to analyze the ride - see how wind and incline/decline affected my speed. I was also curious as to the grade of the climbs I normally ride. After six years off the bike, I have picked up a bit of weight. I also never was that good of a climber - more of an all-around/sprinter.

Well, I completed my first Strava ride today. The out leg was into a pretty strong headwind, but it tapered off for the return trip. The other irritating thing is that I have to wait for a stop light to get on the main road for the return leg, and it took FOREVER for the light to change. Oh well, that's life out here. I'll put up links for the outbound and inbound legs, should anyone else be interested in them. I plan on purchasing a GoPro to combine with the limited telemetry I can currently take (I have a Cateye Strada Double Wireless - not ANT+ or bluetooth capable, so my iPhone can't get its data). I can make an overlay with the telemetry data at http://www.biketelemetry.com that can ride on top of the GoPro video.

Here are the links:

Outbound

Inbound

Last Saturday, I rode with The Heavy Breathers (all but one of whom are older than I am) on a 40-mile ride, with some pretty good climbs, much worse than the ones I rode today. Should they ride the same route this week on Saturday, I'll share that ride as well.

EDIT: The one thing I really don't like, yet, is that my rides are compared with all other riders that have recorded those same segments with Strava. I'm pretty bad, now, but I plan on using this as incentive to get better.
    Last edited by iBud; 03-29-13 at 12:34 AM.
    Life is better on a bicycle.
    - Colnago Master X-Light, Campy Record 10 Gruppo, Campy Scirocco 35 wheelset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I could ride that route on a regular basis. Been there, haven't done that
    2013 Trek Domane 5.9, 2013 Specialized Sirrus Limited

My Bikes
    Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iBud View Post
    EDIT: The one thing I really don't like, yet, is that my rides are compared with all other riders that have recorded those same segments with Strava. I'm pretty bad, now, but I plan on using this as incentive to get better.
    I, too, am at or near the bottom of most segments I ride. Click "My Results" and you can compare all of your past rides on the segment. It's a much better indicator of how much I am improving than my position on the list.

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to filter for my age and weight. I'm usually near the top for the 50+ Clydesdales.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best times are about in the middle of the pack. I'm old, fat, and never was terribly athletic, having discovered fitness as so many others have, late in life. It's all good. I don't sweat it and live for those PR's.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the Strava app on my iPhone and wasn't impressed with it. Among other things, I didn't like the fact that you couldn't see your ride map and stats at the same time. I have been using Cyclemeter and like it much better. Once you define a ride, it shows the route the next time you do that ride and shows your position as you ride. The map and ride data is on the same screen. It also exports to several formats for different sites, including Strava and Garmin Connect.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The latest version of Strava for iPhone lets you see your map real time.

This time last year there were few Strava users in the area and I was usually near the top.

Now there are a bunch of users and I'm usually near the bottom. It is fun to track personal progress.

My daughter now has a Strava account and it amuses her to see her name higher than mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySTL View Post
    I like to filter for my age and weight. I'm usually near the top for the 50+ Clydesdales.
    That may be a possibility for the future. Should I decide to go Premium, I would be curious as to how I stack up age and weight wise.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    I tried the Strava app on my iPhone and wasn't impressed with it. Among other things, I didn't like the fact that you couldn't see your ride map and stats at the same time. I have been using Cyclemeter and like it much better. Once you define a ride, it shows the route the next time you do that ride and shows your position as you ride. The map and ride data is on the same screen. It also exports to several formats for different sites, including Strava and Garmin Connect.
    I have the Strava Droid app. I do most of my analysis on a desktop, which is much better.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting your ride route, brought back the memories I had of the same route (near the same) back in 1983. Pulled out my pics and reminisced. Those were good times. Thanks for the memory nudge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
    Thanks for posting your ride route, brought back the memories I had of the same route (near the same) back in 1983. Pulled out my pics and reminisced. Those were good times. Thanks for the memory nudge.
    No problem. We may end up going to Makapu'u tomorrow. If so, I'll post that one as well. If I remember, I'll even take some pictures and post them. The only problem is that, while I always have my iPhone with me, I fail to remember that it has a camera. I still think of my iPhone as a cell phone first

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a Strava ride I did awhile back.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/42893873

I'm always amazed by all the detail the Garmin picke up and all the calculations (VAM, etc) that Strava adds.

Usually, I'm somewhere in the middle of the list on these climbs . . . and I'm too cheap to pay for the age-graded list!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use Strava because Dudlesack made me. I like the download feature from my Garmin but if I want to look at the stats I still tend to use Garmin Connect. I am not sure how I feel about the notification feature when I get bumped in a KOM. Not that I get that many but when I do I don't want to know when I get bumped. Next thing you know I am 55 out of 68. And that too is Dudelsack's fault.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, unfortunately, purchased a Cateye Strada Double Wireless, so I am unable to retrieve my cadence and speed information by any device other than the Cateye head unit. I simply run the iPhone Strava app and it leverages the GPS built into the iPhone itself. I would rather use the Wahoo Fitness Bluetooth-enabled kit so that I can record everything on my iPhone. I have the Wahoo app and it is synced to Strava, so I may use the Wahoo app and compare the details between the Strava and Wahoo apps.

That being said, I went on a 32.1 mile ride today, but went down in a corner on the way back. I had too much speed and it was raining pretty well, so there was a lot of water in the sloping corner. My rear wheel slid out from under me and I left a little bit of myself on the tarmac. I was really lucky for all the rain on the road, as I hit and slid for a good bit, the rain acting as a barrier between the road and myself. The cycling kit I ordered from Eclipse Cycling held up really well. I am really impressed by the quality of the kits I have ordered from them. My only complaint is the quality of the synthetic chamois - it could be a lot better, but for the price ($102 for a jersey/bibshort kit), I really can't complain.

Anyway, enough of that - here is the ride

P.S. Once the shoulder pain subsides, I plan on getting back on the road. Hopefully that will be before next Saturday, but we'll see. My nieces freaked out a bit seeing the road rash, but it really looks much worse than it feels.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I began last spring with Strava right out of the gate. It's fun in a small town area where we know each other. I am a better rider this spring for having taken a summer to work hills and speed. At 55 I am still improving even with a 21Lb 2x6 Raleigh Technium.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    I only use Strava because Dudlesack made me. I like the download feature from my Garmin but if I want to look at the stats I still tend to use Garmin Connect. I am not sure how I feel about the notification feature when I get bumped in a KOM. Not that I get that many but when I do I don't want to know when I get bumped. Next thing you know I am 55 out of 68. And that too is Dudelsack's fault.
    Yeah, the problem with Strava is that it lets total strangers kick your butt. I've never had a ride so epic that Mobile 155 didn't post one 0.5 miles longer later in the day. It really chaps my hide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Yeah, the problem with Strava is that it lets total strangers kick your butt. I've never had a ride so epic that Mobile 155 didn't post one 0.5 miles longer later in the day. It really chaps my hide.
    I agree that that part sucks, but I went back and added up all the climbs we did yesterday. I was able to climb 992 total feet, just three months back on the bike after a 6-year layoff! I don't care what anyone else does, that is pretty good in my book! Additionally, I set three new personal records, showing improvement. My aim is to continually set more and more personal records as time goes on. I know I'm not going to be too competitive with anyone else, but I can at least be competitive with myself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a popular cycling area in Southern California (Palos Verdes). After starting to ride in the fall of 2005 I started using Strava on Jan 1, 2012. During 2012 it definitely influenced my cycling.

- I was able to more easily track my mileage which caused me to put in a strong finish to 2012 as I wanted reach a goal that I didn't even plan at the beginning of the year.
    - Up until I saw a friend crash my descents were becoming faster. I even held the KOM on a popular descent for a few months. That was stupid, risky behavior and I doubt I would have gone there but for chasing a PR.
    - I was able to get new PR's with regularity during the first part of 2012 but as time went on that became much harder.
    - If I think a PR is in reach on a given day I'll push myself harder.
    - It is fun to compete with your friends.
    - It is also humbling to see the segment times of the stronger riders here.

To me the "social" aspect to Strava is fascinating. I think these folks have built one of the best "social" web apps out there.

I run it on an iPhone.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Strava.. I know I'll never be as fast as the fast guys. Heck, our local mountain has pros. I will never even get close to Fast Freddy Rodriguez.

But I enjoy seeing my ride and keeping track. I even have a top spot in a very obscure segment (I won't tell you where, but it isn't in my garage)

I have made a commitment to Strava all my rides this year. It's a pain, as I commute every day and ride most weekends. But it's fun to see the mileage pile up.

I'm http://www.strava.com/athletes/ccorlew

BTW, there is a 50 forum group at
    http://app.strava.com/clubs/bf-50-plusers

Last edited by cccorlew; 04-04-13 at 01:18 PM.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aloha again everyone,

I agree that I will never be as fast as the KOM guys (how in the heck can they climb and average 24-25 mph anyway?), but I set three new PRs on my ride Saturday. I probably could've set a couple more, but I crashed in a corner and rode back relatively slowly. I've received my new Campy Scirocco 35 wheels and once the tires, tubes, and cassette get here (they're on the slow boat from England, unfortunately), I should be able to better some of the marks. I know that it will most likely be due to the placebo effect of my new Campy wheels, but I'll take another PR, thank you very much

I also realized that my math was incorrect. I only added up 992 feet of climbing, while Strava has it at 1,066. I think I'll take Strava's numbers on that one I would also like to see just how many miles I can do in a year, then see if I can improve on that mark the second year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    BTW, there is a 50 forum group at http://app.strava.com/clubs/bf-50-plusers

Aloha cccorlew, I have seen that club, but I don't the passcode. Do you have any information on how to obtain it?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aloha cccorlew, I have seen that club, but I don't the passcode. Do you have any information on how to obtain it?

My birth year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post

My birth year.
    Aloha Dudelsack,

I neglected to mention that I subsequently (to my post, that is) found that information. Thanks for your response.

My Bikes
    Frankenbike commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo - can anyone help a clueless guy out with this Strava stuff - how exactly do I join that 50+ Strava club? When I try to search for it on my Strava page I get a message telling me it's not found. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. Trying to fiddle around with strava and Endomondo but I'm guessing theses social networking workout apps would be a tad bit more interesting if I was able to actually be, you know, social.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hanes View Post
    Yo - can anyone help a clueless guy out with this Strava stuff - how exactly do I join that 50+ Strava club? When I try to search for it on my Strava page I get a message telling me it's not found. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. Trying to fiddle around with strava and Endomondo but I'm guessing theses social networking workout apps would be a tad bit more interesting if I was able to actually be, you know, social.
    Try "BF 50 plusers"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast