Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look out! Fat guy on a bike!

For the first winter in many years, I did no riding at all. I put it down to the fact that from early December, when my Dad suddenly took ill, to January when he died, my free time was spent at his bed side, or staying with and supporting Mom.
    Somehow, when it was all over, I just never found the motivation to put on the studded tires or pull on the winter gear to go out and ride on dry days.
    I didn't let my fitness totally slide. I made regular trips to the gym on my days off, but as we all know, it's just not the same.
    So yesterday, with the temps above freezing, I decided it was time to blow some dust out. Now, I don't own a bathroom scale, but I know when the weight has crept up, and I'm sure I'm probably up about 10 lb or so.
    I rode the 8 clicks to the lbs to collect a check for the wheel build job I did for them, and while it felt good to be out, there is work to do to get back to where I was.
    Time to HTFU.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect to come to the exact same realization when I get out for my first "real" ride of the year tomorrow.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    For the first winter in many years, I did no riding at all. I put it down to the fact that from early December, when my Dad suddenly took ill, to January when he died, my free time was spent at his bed side, or staying with and supporting Mom.
    Somehow, when it was all over, I just never found the motivation to put on the studded tires or pull on the winter gear to go out and ride on dry days.
    I didn't let my fitness totally slide. I made regular trips to the gym on my days off, but as we all know, it's just not the same.
    So yesterday, with the temps above freezing, I decided it was time to blow some dust out. Now, I don't own a bathroom scale, but I know when the weight has crept up, and I'm sure I'm probably up about 10 lb or so.
    I rode the 8 clicks to the lbs to collect a check for the wheel build job I did for them, and while it felt good to be out, there is work to do to get back to where I was.
    Time to HTFU.

Obviously it is time to get out and "Blow the Stink Off"...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 pounds isn't terrible. You'll be back in no time, and have fun doing it!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    10 pounds isn't terrible. You'll be back in no time, and have fun doing it!
    +1.

And this isn't the 41, so just go out and enjoy yourself; no need to HTFU.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out for another ride to the waterfront today. My wife was out for her first time this spring as well. Stopped in at a new gourmet burger joint downtown and dropped 42 bucks for lunch But, it was great, and we'll definitely be back.
    Not exactly warm today, but it was sunny, and we had a nice rest by the water, catching some rays.
    Getting the motivation back.

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been about 20 degrees below last year on average for the month of March. Seems winter is being stubborn. Last year I had several hundred miles in by now. This year I have been out 4 times. 52, 24, 20 and 20 miles. I am WAY behind last season and like you...I put on about 10lbs this winter. It is killing me, but it looks like a few nice days in a row! You're right...it is time to harden up

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long winter commuting back and forth to Edmonton for work. I joined you in the +10 category as well. Gourmet burger joint? Pray tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Long winter commuting back and forth to Edmonton for work. I joined you in the +10 category as well. Gourmet burger joint? Pray tell...
    http://www.worksburger.com/Locations...1/Default.aspx

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news: I worked hard this winter. I even bought a bike in the fall that would get me through the winter (I knew my R500 road bike wouldn't do that). And it worked, I got in 800 miles so far this year.

The bad news: I'm still fat. I still need to lose that 10 pounds...

My Bikes
    LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have had a tough winter all around. Losing a loved one is the toughest. I think I know where you might be coming from. Several years ago, when I was in my mid-thirties, I lost my mom to cancer. And I temporarily lost the desire to do stuff that I normally enjoyed. And really, like you, a lot of that free time often spent doing those activities was spent with her. I'm glad to hear you are getting back on the bike. One of the many lessons I learned through this journey was the value of exercise for mental state. Makes a huge difference IMO. Blessings to you and your family.

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    The bad news: I'm still fat. I still need to lose that 10 pounds...
    This statement is oxymoronic. If you've only got 10 lbs to lose, then you ain't fat.

http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to lose the 10 pounds to get back to what I needed to lose.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    This statement is oxymoronic. If you've only got 10 lbs to lose, then you ain't fat.

Well according to our health care experts I am (BMI of 27.5) -- plus, I have the handles to prove it. But I have no desire or intention to lose the 20 pounds that would get me down to what they call 'normal'. I'll be happy if I can drop about 10 pounds....

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your dad. A loss that significant would certainly put one off their riding schedule. Puts things in perspective doesn't it? I too have gained that dreaded winter 10 lbs. In my case my jeans fit as usual but I bulked up thanks to lifting weights in the gym. Went out yesterday for my first ride since November and was pleasantly surprised. Just kicked around and watched the world go by with my gf. We ended up doing 18.5 mi. at 13.2 mph It was easy and relaxing. Just what we wanted and needed.