Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How I spend my week or My colonoscopy saga

Well this is a bummer. We returned from our bike trip to Sanibel Island on Monday bc I was scheduled for a colonoscopy on Thursday. The weather on Sanibel was wonderful, typical March Fl type. We were able to do several 40 + mile days. Tuesday the bottom fell out..... of the weather that is... not the other as I wasn't due to start the cleaning process until Weds. Anyway TOO cold for a ride on Tues. and an appointment with the RV repair guy cancelled any chance for a Wed AM ride. Then..... the prep (since this is the over 50 board you should ALL know what I mean). My appointment on Thursday was for 1:30 pm. So no ride but figured maybe after the procedure and a little food on the bikes we would go. I had let my doc know of my past and present heart problems, in fact my Cardio doc had to sign off before the colonoscopy was scheduled a couple of months ago. Off to the clinic I go. Go through all the pre-procedure stuff and they wheel me into the "room". In comes the sleep man.... going to give you gas and you'll be fine. He starts the process and then stops and kinda runs out of the room. Here I am laying on my left side all cleaned out ready to be poked and nobody is around. I hear talking in the background and doc, nurses and rest of the crew come in. Ah, on with the show. What... not so fast says the doc. Seems the "sleep guy" is really concerned when looking at my cardiac print outs and they feel I would be best to have the colonoscopy done in the local hospital in case any problems appear. Great!!! Now it's not like these guys didn't know of my heart problem for the past year or so. They have been in contact with my heart doctors and GP. They should have planned this upfront.

The doctor tells me I have two options at this point. Go to the hospital today and he'll do the procedure later in the day after he's done in the clinic or go home reschedule and to the prep AGAIN another day. By now it' about 3 pm so eating and riding doesn't look good today. Figured I might as well get this over with. So off to the hospital I go.... with my iv line still in and taped up. My wife was a little surprised to see me so soon in the waiting room until I explained plan B.

At the hospital after going through all the loop holes again... paperwork.. nice johny (btw why do they call these things johnys?) the new "sleep guy" has an ekg done and then comes in to talk to me. Seems my ekg showed bigeminy (a pvc every other beat). Not good. Could be a big problem for a selective procedure like a colonoscopy or it could be just a side effect of my chf. So he decides to hold off a while and try to get in touch with my heart doc and hospital records of past ekgs to compare. That's ok bc the doc during the procedure is still at the clinic anyway. So another couple of hours pass and the "sleep guy" the ekgs all appear the same so on with the FUN. The rest of the procedure I don't remember. But they did remove a couple of polyps. But the real bummer is bc they found and removed a couple of polyps I CAN'T ride for another 3 days.

Oh well at least I don't need to do another prep for 5 years or so....

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cripes ... that heart stuff is a hassle, but at least you got it done.

It always amazes me how much information the docs can get out of a squiggly line on a strip chart.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well------------at least you know that you are good to go for a couple of years, and have one less thing to worry about.

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real bummer here is not the ordeal but the fact I will have gone 5 days without riding my bike. It sits out in the garage looking lonely. However, i was able to do a good clean and lub on both of them since hanging off the back of an RV for a few hundred miles can junk them up a bit.

Alls well that "ends" well in this case. My wife and I went for a nice 4 mile walk on the nature trail at our local state park instead of being in the saddle. Looking forward to Monday morning!!!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was once on a club ride with a gent who had had his wisdom teeth removed the day before. He looked fine. About an hour into the ride he just veered into a ditch. He was a good enough cyclist to have avoided a crash, although I'm not sure how he did it. It scared the whoopie out of him, and me and his wife as well.

So, your bike will get over the loneliness, and in good time all will be right with the world. Don't take no chances.

My Bikes
    Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So tell us about your visit to Sanibel. I live there and just came off the SUP (shared use path). How can you do 40 miles on an 11mile island?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawed View Post
    So tell us about your visit to Sanibel. I live there and just came off the SUP (shared use path). How can you do 40 miles on an 11mile island?
    Easy, ride from the campground to the Island Cow for breakfast, over to the farmer's market, back to the rv with supplies, up to Captivia (sp) back to the light house, do the road/trail at Ding Darling (btw glad they are planning on resurfacing the road)... well you get the idea. Oh and finish up with a ride back to the Island Cow for dinner. I think the island is actually around 14 mile from end to end (lighthouse to Captivia bridge) add the 3 miles of Captivia from bridge to road end in town. Anyway you are indeed a lucky guy to live on such a great place. We try to visit at least a couple of times a year generally before the snow bird invasion in Nov and toward the end in March.

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As protracted as your colonoscopy saga is, it CAN get worse. I had a polyp removed, and they managed to vent between my inside and the outside of my colon. One's innards prefer that inside-the-colon stuff stay there, on the inside. I was one sick puppy, and they wouldn't feed me or let me drink till my doc came to my room the next day. He decided on an experiment - I'd get to eat breakfast, if I reacted to it they would go in and fix the leak, if I didn't, I'd go home. Really glad to be able to go home. But I was some kind of sick there for a day...
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....